Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Hatch B16A/B16tranny/sir2 GSR ECU - Installed cluster w/ tach - tach doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Hatch B16A/B16tranny/sir2 GSR ECU - Installed cluster w/ tach - tach doesn't work

I swapped out the old cluster with one from a ex/tach. Everything except the tach works. Tried it out on another car, worked like a charm. What could it be guys please help? Already checked the fuses
Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Hatch B16A/B16tranny sir2 w GSR ECU Installed cluster with tach but tach don't

25 Views no replys? Someone help please
Old 07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Hatch B16A/B16tranny sir2 w GSR ECU Installed cluster with tach but tach don't

bump....
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump..at least direct to somewhere where I will be helped??
Old 07-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the vss on the tranny
Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would the Vehicle Speed Sensor cause it even if the Speedometer and everything else is working, Only thing not working is the tach
Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually the distributor pics up the tachometer signal I believe. VSS is vehivle speed not engine speed. I would check to see if a wire is loose at the distributor or at the back of your cluster
Old 07-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

which wire harness did you use on the swap?
some do not have the tach signal from the distributor, they have the signal from the ECU instead.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure guys, im bearly getting into civics, and this one is a b16a SIR2 witha GSR Ecu running OBD2 I checked the wires behind the cluster everything looks good, And i think only 99-00 get the signal from the ecu
Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm guessing the engine is an OBD-1 since it looks like they had to splice the distributor plugs.

Last edited by RichardLSX; 06-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if im not mistaken there is a blue wire that runs from your distributor through a harness to the top of the drivers strut tower. if the wire ends then connect another wire to it, solder it and run it into the correct pin on the connector for your cluster. i honestly could be wrong but it doesnt hurt to look, i know thats what its like on the d15b7's so it could be similar. good luck
Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bussey_03
if im not mistaken there is a blue wire that runs from your distributor through a harness to the top of the drivers strut tower. if the wire ends then connect another wire to it, solder it and run it into the correct pin on the connector for your cluster. i honestly could be wrong but it doesnt hurt to look, i know thats what its like on the d15b7's so it could be similar. good luck
Damn by far that is the BEST help I've got so far, because now that you mention that, it sounds like that might be it, your talking about the blue wire that runs to the (tach test connection) correct? if so then do i run it to the connector?

Last edited by RichardLSX; 06-04-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 06-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So far I've kind of figured out that there is a certain "Test Point" under the hood on the driver's side where there should be a blue wire coming from that test connection towards my gauge cluster. Well did all models receive this? Or only certain models. Mine is a CX model so I'm guessing it didn't I'd really like to have a tach so here I am almost a year later still needing help with the same problem

BTW I've figured out the problem with the speedo, apparently the trip-ometer's miles moved up a lot faster than the Odometer so that's taken care off.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Hatch B16A/B16tranny/sir2 GSR ECU - Installed cluster w/ tach - tach doesn't w

I't be awesome, if I could get RonJ@H-T to at leask give me a tip He seems like he knows he's work. I've purchased alldatadiy, but still can't really pin point exactly what it is that gives signal to the tachometer.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 98 Hatch B16A/B16tranny/sir2 GSR ECU - Installed cluster w/ tach - tach doesn't w

Your 98 Civic was originally OBD2a. Is your current ECU OBD2b?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Your 98 Civic was originally OBD2a. Is your current ECU OBD2b?
Yes, it was OBD2a and the current ECU in there right now is also OBD2a

I was glad to see you replied Thanks for taking the time!

BTW, sorry for taking long to reply, I was actually outside looking at the wiring from the distributor to the Test Connection trying to figure something out.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The OBD2a tach signal comes from the blue wire attached to the ICM inside the distributor. Check whether the blue wire is connected. If so, next check whether the blue wire has continuity between the ICM and the cluster.

There should be a 2P connector with a blue wire on the driver's side corner of the engine bay. This is for connecting a test tachometer. The blue wire in the connector should also have continuity with the blue wire attached to the ICM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From the long research that I've done on honda-tech I read one particular thread, where it was a 94 EG, and he swapped a 00 Integra engine in. After receiving help from various members, he fixed his problem. They brought it down to 00-01 Integras do not get there Tach signal from the distributor, instead they receive signal from the ECU (Which from further research I believe that is where Obd2-B Comes into play) What that member did, was run a wire from the distributor to the under hood connector. But I'm not 100% sure exactly what wires to splice together.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tach signal comes from the blue wire attached to the ICM inside the distributor. Check whether the blue wire is connected. If so, next check whether the blue wire has continuity between the ICM and the cluster.

There should be a 2P connector with a blue wire on the driver's side corner of the engine bay. This is for connecting a test tachometer. The blue wire in the connector should also have continuity with the blue wire attached to the ICM.
Hmm, please forgive me as I've been trying hard to understand the way electrical systems work (I should have payed more attention in auto tech) I have what I believe to be a Continuity Tester Picture Below, I've lost the instructions to it but I believe common sense should help. The correct way to use this, in simple forms you connect the "teeth" end to one side of the wire, and poke with the tool on another location. If the light lights up then the wire is working correctly?

Another thing, on the 2P Connection, I do have 1 blue wire from there and it seems to be going into the interior of the vehicle, but is there supposed to be "2" blue wires from there?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RichardLSX
Hmm, please forgive me as I've been trying hard to understand the way electrical systems work (I should have payed more attention in auto tech) I have what I believe to be a Continuity Tester Picture Below, I've lost the instructions to it but I believe common sense should help. The correct way to use this, in simple forms you connect the "teeth" end to one side of the wire, and poke with the tool on another location. If the light lights up then the wire is working correctly?
There are test lights and continuity testers. The former tests for voltage, not continuity. Be sure you have the right tester. A multimeter is best as it has all those functions and more, and can be pretty inexpensive. Connect the clip to the blue wire attached to the ICM and then touch the probe to the blue wire at the rear of the cluster. The tester should light or sound if there is continuity.

Another thing, on the 2P Connection, I do have 1 blue wire from there and it seems to be going into the interior of the vehicle, but is there supposed to be "2" blue wires from there?
There should only be a single blue wire. And yes, the wire runs to the interior of the car.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry to make my posts so long, I'm just worried on whether I'm using the Continuity Tester correctly. Reason I ask is because, Let's say I have a 1ft piece of speaker wire, I put the "teeth" end on a stripped piece of the wire, and then poke with the tool on another piece of the wire, if the light on the tool lights up, then that means that there is continuity from where I poked the wire, to where the teeth is at correct?

Well after fixing a headache of an electrical problem on my brother's 95 Integra, I saw a Yellow/Black wire coming from the main relay, before applying heat shrink to it, I decided just of out curiosity to try doing a continuity test on it. So this is what I did with it, I clamped the teeth on bare metal from the bottom of the car, and with the tool's pointy end, I touched the part of the wire that was stripped and for some reason the tool lighted up???? Does that mean that I'm using the tool incorrectly? Or that wire just happened to be a ground?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There are test lights and continuity testers. The former tests for voltage, not continuity. Be sure you have the right tester. A multimeter is best as it has all those functions and more, and can be pretty inexpensive. Connect the clip to the blue wire attached to the ICM and then touch the probe to the blue wire at the rear of the cluster. The tester should light or sound if there is continuity.

There should only be a single blue wire. And yes, the wire runs to the interior of the car.
Ok great, I'm feeling a bit more confident know on tackling this problem. Unfortunately it's getting a bit late for me, and I will have to wait until tomorrow before I proceed with these tests. Thanks again very much for taking your time to help out, I'll be sure to update my progress on this thread.

A test light is the tool you use in order to check if there is power running through a wire correct? I believe/hope I have the correct tool since this tool lights up even if I try a random piece of wire not connected to anything other than the clamp and pointy ends of the tool.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RichardLSX
I'm sorry to make my posts so long, I'm just worried on whether I'm using the Continuity Tester correctly. Reason I ask Is because, Let's say I have a 1ft piece of speaker wire, I put the "teeth" end on a stripped piece of the wire, and then poke with the tool on another piece of the wire, if the light on the tool lights up, then that means that there is continuity from where I poked the wire, to where the teeth is at correct?

Well after fixing a headache of an electrical problem on my brother's 95 Integra, I saw a Yellow/Black wire coming from the main relay, before applying heat shrink to it, I decided just of out curiosity to try doing a continuity test on it. So this is what I did with it, I clamped the teeth on bare metal from the bottom of the car, and with the tools pointy end, I touched the part of the wire that was stripped and for some reason the tool lighted up???? Does that mean that I'm using the tool incorrectly? Or that wire just happened to be a ground?
What happens when you touch the pointed probe to the metal alligator clip of the tester? Does it light up?

Quick Reply: 98 Hatch B16A/B16tranny/sir2 GSR ECU - Installed cluster w/ tach - tach doesn't work