Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 DX Civic Sedan cranks but doesn't start??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 98 DX Civic Sedan cranks but doesn't start??

I made a video so it would be easier for me to explain.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9d...ew?usp=sharing

Reply here, not to the video.

WATCH VIDEO FIRST

Additional details:

I replaced the ignition coil IN the distributor, not the ignition coil AND the distributor. I haven't replaced my distributor yet.

I have owned car for 6+ months

Had it since 154k

Yesterday, after replacing my fuel pump, which i thought was the problem, it was running perfectly fine every time I turned it off and on over and over again to check to see if my startup was reliable. I would wait until I hear the power go to the fuel pump every time then try to start it, and it would go. Now it's a complete hit or miss, no consistency. I noticed the gas station pattern because that is where my car would not start up the most.

I know if I wait til the morning and go back to that parking lot where it's stuck that it'll probably start again. I don't know what it is about when I fuel up.

Basically whether or not it will start is a hit or miss but it most often happens at gas stations.

Some guy at the gas station and I tried spraying ignition fluid in the intake to see if that was it and it didn't help. I did not try to jump start my car because I don't think it's the battery at all. Like I said it's been running fine and other parts of the car wouldn't start up if the battery were bad.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 DX Civic Sedan cranks but doesn't start??

Bumping.

Additional details:

Tried using started fluid, that didn't work. Also sometimes my car dies like going 70 on the highway or something it'll just stop gassing when I press the gas down, then I can't start it for 10 minutes after.

I've been reading a lot about this problem and tomorrow am gonna try to repair my relay, but also heard that it could be my purge valve if it's whenever I fuel up? Especially because that is a huge symptom
Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

You look pretty motivated so "I will direct you to a nice chunk of information that will guide you through some diagnostics so that you can isolate which system is causing you grief.

At the top of the forum is a FAQ, and in that FAQ is a section for Engine Section 5. And in section five there is a nice set of thread for Diagnostics, in this case that is sub section D in section five.

The first important thread is https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...2A%2A-1992733/. Followed by a thread demonstrating quality ways to check for spark related problems. All of these threads were based on Hondas.

With that section and some elbow grease and some basic tools for your car, I think you will be well on your way to solving your first Honda no start issue.

It boils down to one of three areas, either fuel, compression(oxygen) or spark.

This is section 5d of the faq:
d. Diagnostics and Treatments
How To Pull CEL, D4, SRS, and ABS Codes
No Start Diagnosis Basics
Spark Plug Appearance Diagnostics
How To Check for Spark and Troubleshoot Spark Problems
How To Perform a Cylinder Compression Test
How To Perform a Cylinder Leak Down Test
VTEC Troubleshooting
How To Do a Seafoam Treatment
Seafoam: Experience & How-To Use It (Boosted GSR)

This part of the faq doesn't cover the fuel aspect, but does get 2 of the 3.

Farther down is section 5k and that covers fuel:
k. Fuel System
Fuel Setups Explained
92-95 Civics - Measuring the Fuel Pressure
96-00 Civics - Measuring the Fuel Pressure
Main Relay - What It Does & How It Works
92-95 Civics - Main Relay Location
96-00 Civics - Main Relay Location
Testing 92-95 Civic Main Relay (diagram)
Testing 96-00 Civic Main Relay (diagram)
How To Resolder the Main Relay
Testing and Replacing 92-95 Civic Fuel Pump (diagram)
Testing and Replacing 96-00 Civic Fuel Pump (diagram)
DIY Fuel Pump Strainer/Pre-Filter Replacement
Installing B&M Fuel Pressure Regulator
Wiring Up Injector Resistor Box
Wiring Up a Resistor Box (Plug & Play - No Harness Hacking) On 96-00 Civics

You will find the FAQ is a very helpful tool to have with your Honda. Much of everything you will see and do with your Honda has likely been covered and documented in depth before.

Cheers and good luck.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
You look pretty motivated so "I will direct you to a nice chunk of information that will guide you through some diagnostics so that you can isolate which system is causing you grief.

At the top of the forum is a FAQ, and in that FAQ is a section for Engine Section 5. And in section five there is a nice set of thread for Diagnostics, in this case that is sub section D in section five.

The first important thread is https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...2A%2A-1992733/. Followed by a thread demonstrating quality ways to check for spark related problems. All of these threads were based on Hondas.

With that section and some elbow grease and some basic tools for your car, I think you will be well on your way to solving your first Honda no start issue.

It boils down to one of three areas, either fuel, compression(oxygen) or spark.

This is section 5d of the faq:
d. Diagnostics and Treatments
How To Pull CEL, D4, SRS, and ABS Codes
No Start Diagnosis Basics
Spark Plug Appearance Diagnostics
How To Check for Spark and Troubleshoot Spark Problems
How To Perform a Cylinder Compression Test
How To Perform a Cylinder Leak Down Test
VTEC Troubleshooting
How To Do a Seafoam Treatment
Seafoam: Experience & How-To Use It (Boosted GSR)

This part of the faq doesn't cover the fuel aspect, but does get 2 of the 3.

Farther down is section 5k and that covers fuel:
k. Fuel System
Fuel Setups Explained
92-95 Civics - Measuring the Fuel Pressure
96-00 Civics - Measuring the Fuel Pressure
Main Relay - What It Does & How It Works
92-95 Civics - Main Relay Location
96-00 Civics - Main Relay Location
Testing 92-95 Civic Main Relay (diagram)
Testing 96-00 Civic Main Relay (diagram)
How To Resolder the Main Relay
Testing and Replacing 92-95 Civic Fuel Pump (diagram)
Testing and Replacing 96-00 Civic Fuel Pump (diagram)
DIY Fuel Pump Strainer/Pre-Filter Replacement
Installing B&M Fuel Pressure Regulator
Wiring Up Injector Resistor Box
Wiring Up a Resistor Box (Plug & Play - No Harness Hacking) On 96-00 Civics

You will find the FAQ is a very helpful tool to have with your Honda. Much of everything you will see and do with your Honda has likely been covered and documented in depth before.

Cheers and good luck.
So I should have said this. I am pretty sure my spark isn't a problem since I replaced the caps plugs and wires, unless there is something wrong with my distributor. I am going to check to see if there is oil in my distributor tomorrow, as I've heard this is a symptom of it going bad. I am also going to try to repair my main relay tomorrow if I can see the part on the motherboard that is broken and solder it. I also loosened up my fuel filter to see if I was getting fuel spray upon priming and it's spraying fuel so would that mean that I'm getting good fuel right?

I am honestly very new to cars. This is the first car I've ever owned, I picked it because I heard civics were easy to replace parts with if ever the case that anything went bad. I still have faith in my civic being my consistent to-and-from but right now it can't consistently start up. By the way this does not just happen at gas stations when I fuel up, but it happens on and off, it's a complete hit or miss. I just dread fueling up because I almost know I'm gonna have to leave my car in the parking lot until later that day.

Here is another video I made since I got home with my car today. Again I am a newbie, and to be honest with that list of stuff I wouldn't even know where to start. Is there anything anyone here can tell me from personal experience? I'm not trying to bug anyone I'm very sorry.

Here is the video

Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WannaFixMyCar
So I should have said this. I am pretty sure my spark isn't a problem since I replaced the caps plugs and wires, unless there is something wrong with my distributor. I am going to check to see if there is oil in my distributor tomorrow, as I've heard this is a symptom of it going bad. I am also going to try to repair my main relay tomorrow if I can see the part on the motherboard that is broken and solder it. I also loosened up my fuel filter to see if I was getting fuel spray upon priming and it's spraying fuel so would that mean that I'm getting good fuel right?

I am honestly very new to cars. This is the first car I've ever owned, I picked it because I heard civics were easy to replace parts with if ever the case that anything went bad. I still have faith in my civic being my consistent to-and-from but right now it can't consistently start up. By the way this does not just happen at gas stations when I fuel up, but it happens on and off, it's a complete hit or miss. I just dread fueling up because I almost know I'm gonna have to leave my car in the parking lot until later that day.

Here is another video I made since I got home with my car today. Again I am a newbie, and to be honest with that list of stuff I wouldn't even know where to start. Is there anything anyone here can tell me from personal experience? I'm not trying to bug anyone I'm very sorry.

Here is the video

Holy crap I lied that FAQ is fantastic!
Literally I'm gonna try all that tomorrow!

Is there anything anyone can tell me with the information given?
Old 05-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Yes, see if your local auto parts store has a fuel injection fuel pressure tester they can rent you.

Just because you spray fuel at the fuel filter doesn't mean you have proper pressure on the rail.

Also, google 96-00 factory service manual. That will be your bible.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And when I said FAQ I meant to say that No Start Diagnosis 101, that was AWESOME. I'm very good at reading that kind of stuff and look forward to working on my ignition system tomorrow finally from the standpoint of someone that understands why a car starts/doesn't.

Yeah well at least it means I have pressure. I'm gonna reply to this thread tomorrow and give people updates.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know if I wait til the morning and go back to that parking lot where it's stuck that it'll probably start again.
That sounds like a main relay issue to me- if it starts when cold (or when it has time to cool down), but not when warm-
Its an easy job to change- if you know anyone with a similar honda, swap it out and check it-
Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

If you learn only one thing from this forum, it should be to completely reverse your philosophy about how to solve car problems. Do diagnostic tests rather than replace parts at random.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

And when I said FAQ I meant to say that No Start Diagnosis 101, that was AWESOME. I'm very good at reading that kind of stuff and look forward to working on my ignition system tomorrow finally from the standpoint of someone that understands why a car starts/doesn't.

Yeah well at least it means I have pressure. I'm gonna reply to this thread tomorrow and give people updates.
What do you mean by pressure? Fuel pressure? Check for fuel.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm sure the mods love it when members actually do read that section, its been put together just for members like you. If you have any issues with the procedures just respond.