Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic Rusted exhaust system help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic Rusted exhaust system help

Hi, I read another guy's thread with the same problem a couple days ago, but didn't want to hijack his/her thread, so here it is, I hope it's ok. (My first post!)

1998 Honda Civic EX Coupe, everything stock. Almost 133000 miles.

So, I found out the other day that the pipe was making weird noises in the back, and as it turns out, the exhaust system was rusted out and the hook was broken. I am going to take it to a shop to get it replaced, but I just want your advice on what parts I actually need to get replaced, and how much you think it would be. See pictures below, let me know if I need to provide more:

Old 04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know when i first got my car it had a rusted out fart can on it. I went to midus and got from my downpipe back replace with all stock, I like it that way. and it came to 360 and some change.

The muffler has a lifetime warranty, Ive gone back twice with my recipt and gottan a new muffler for free. c5 with stock EX muffler. yep, lol
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had this same general issue. I replaced the b pipe with a stainless steel pipe from a muffler shop. Then I put a stock Si muffler on the car.

When I got the Si muffler (it's the same thing as my EX muffler basically) I cleaned it as well as I could and then taped the tailpipe off. Then I painted the muffler matte black to protect it from rust and make it a little less showy.

Oh, and my b pipe rusted through and broke right behind the resonator. Then it rusted through right where the pipe meets the muffler housing (behind the flange).
Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast response!

OK, I am a noob... which is the B-pipe, resonator, etc? Maybe you can photoshop the images I have uploaded?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 Civic Rusted exhaust system help (4honor)

How much do you have budgeted? After the exhaust on my 1999 DX broke near the bend by the muffler, I decided to bite the bullet and replace the entire system. The cast iron header already was cracked and was out of the grace period for replacement (there is a recall as they crack easily).

You can get mandrel bent stainless from VRS Exhaust for pretty cheap. $175 for 2.25" stainless; $125 for 2.25" aluminized. Pair it with your choice of muffler (Vibrant makes good OEM-looking muffler with 2.25" inlet and outlet) as well as a resonator and you will have a nice exhaust setup.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (4honor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4honor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, thanks for the fast response!

OK, I am a noob... which is the B-pipe, resonator, etc? Maybe you can photoshop the images I have uploaded?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Look here for a list of all the parts for your car's exhaust system.

https://www.hondapartsdeals.co...B++02

Oh, and I greyed out the parts not on your car.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

if your looking for a stock replacement, look into walker, they make O.E. replacements that bolt on like stock all hangers and everything, I got the complete catback for 236 from carquest. you can bolt it on yourself.

gl
Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh, and I greyed out the parts not on your car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nofx you have to be one of the friendliest people on honda-tech
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (v!taminb16)

Oh my gosh... this is got to be the best car forum ever... People here answer so fast, nice and helpful! Now I am not gonna get ripped off! Yay!

And, I don't think I will be able to bolt it on myself, I don't have the tools to jack the car up and don't know enough to mess with it... Think $300 will cover the labor and parts?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:03 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (v!taminb16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v!taminb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nofx you have to be one of the friendliest people on honda-tech </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4honor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh my gosh... this is got to be the best car forum ever... People here answer so fast, nice and helpful! Now I am not gonna get ripped off! Yay!

And, I don't think I will be able to bolt it on myself, I don't have the tools to jack the car up and don't know enough to mess with it... Think $300 will cover the labor and parts?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'd be very surprised if that covered parts and labor.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think around 300 should cover it, maybe a little more. depends what the labor rate is around you. Figure you get out the door with the exhuast for $250 + one hour labor for somone to bolt it for you, whatever that cost. I would estimate in the range of $60 up to $90 an hour at the dealer. You might even find somone that will only charge you 1/2hr if your lucky

gl
Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 PM

Changing the exhaust system only takes 1/2 hour? Wow, no wonder everyone does it... I just don't have the proper tools...
Old 04-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4honor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4honor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Changing the exhaust system only takes 1/2 hour? Wow, no wonder everyone does it... I just don't have the proper tools...</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you have a lift, impact gun and maybe even a cutting torch. if it's your time working under the car expect it to take longer but i would say its doable in 4 hours if you have no expierence, just get a good rachet set and some wrenches.

easiest way I have found is to remove the rear section first drop the cat and midpipe off the hangers, this will give you better access to the bolts that attach the midpipe to the cat. theses bolts are the worst part, you may need to spray them down with wd40 and let them soak for an hour. installation is reverse of removal its really only 5 bolts. tip: put liquid soap on the hangers they will slide on and on much easier

gl

ps don't drive your car right before you do it
Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 PM

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

tips on taking them off the rubber hangers?

i'm about to do mine, and i was thinking it would be easier to drop the b-pipe and cat at the same time, then soak the 3 bolts with PB-buster for an hour...

---------------

As for doing it yourself, a good mechanics tool set is a great investment.

Only thing you might want to add on to it, is a breaker bar from harbor freight, or a pipe to put on the ratchets...

I went out and bought a 154pc craftsman set when it was on sale, i think i got it for $99+tax, but i only find myself constantly using the 1/4" and 3/4" drive sockets....

I've only used the 1/2" drive to help take off the exhaust bolts - that hold the cat and header together - while under the car, i'm not that strong of a guy, but i was able to take off my header and put in a cheap ebay ss header..

the set came with both metric and standard sockets.. but I rarely touch the standard ones.

-----
i just checked sears.com, that set is on sale again.
imo def worth the money, really good quality, and they can take a beating ^^;
Old 04-26-2008, 08:16 AM

So I brought it in to a local muffler shop, and they said muffler part is the only thing that's bad, so they replaced it for $110 after tax, and it took them like 15 mins using a cutting torch and weld the new one on... I think $50 was for labor, $50 for parts.

I didn't notice any performance change... don't know if that's good or bad... Thanks for all the help though!