Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic Rubbing/Grinding Noise .. I am baffled

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic Rubbing/Grinding Noise .. I am baffled

Hey guys,

Just want to say I haven't been active on here but I'm not new to hondas.

I am absolutely stumped on this one. One night I ended up having to pull over and put a spare on (I have Buddy Club P1's). I had a slow leak in one tire. I started thinking and I was having an odd grinding/rubbing noise. It almost sounded like it was coming from the front left, but the back left is what ended up being flat. I put 2 steelies on and the noise actually went away. I have had this set up for about 5 years now.

I have function and form lower control arms and Buddy Club front and rear upper control arms (I hate the name camber kit). I took the upper control arm off just to see maybe it adjusted. That thing is so damn solid, there is no way. So last night I went to put the Buddy Club's back on, and sure enough, the noise is back, and I am concerned if the tire is rubbing. I got under my car, I felt around the inside wall, I cannot even fathom where it is/would be rubbing. Also, when I had the wheel off, I don't even see any rub marks!

The noise is only happening when I go over a bump and the car lifts and there is no load on the suspension or if I make a turn and more aggressive than just mildly.

Any ideas? I am going nuts

Thanks ahead
Old 08-10-2016, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic Rubbing/Grinding Noise .. I am baffled

It's unclear whether you pinpointed a specific wheel as producing the noise or whether you linked the noise to an upper control arm. Please clarify.

Are you able to reproduce the noise by manually pushing up or down at each corner of the car?

Have you checked the struts?
Old 08-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theyre function and form coil overs .. i am actually leaning towards the trailing arm bushings to be shot. so i have a rear disc swap to throw on with new hard race bushings, i am going to do this and then see what happens. i am thinking the larger wheel (16" buddy club) is making it sway more than the 15" steelie .. but it is coming from the left rear. the upper control arm is fine. I am pointing at the RTA bushings as of right now
Old 08-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

When you solve it, please post some pictures.