Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 civic-possible to remove engine+trans with shift linkage still connected?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic-possible to remove engine+trans with shift linkage still connected?

Ok so I need to know if its possible to take out the engine and trans with the shift linkage still connected to the trans without destroying anything .. of course I'm gonna unhook the shifter from the car itself .. I'm really trying to keep away from the " bitch pin "
Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 98 civic

you would have to pull the exhaust out of the way and drop the whole shifter out and motor and transmission out the bottom of the car. it will not go out the top.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

In a word: yes
Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 98 civic-possible to remove engine+trans with shift linkage still connected?

Please see stickies at the top. Thread titles must summarize tech question -- edited.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 98 civic-possible to remove engine+trans with shift linkage still connected?

It can come out the top
Old 11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it can. Remove from the bottom will be easiest. Btw, the "bitch pin" is that hard to remove. Make sure you have plenty of ground clearance. Use AC compressor bolt and hammer away.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98EJ7Y8
Ok so I need to know if its possible to take out the engine and trans with the shift linkage still connected to the trans without destroying anything .. of course I'm gonna unhook the shifter from the car itself .. I'm really trying to keep away from the " bitch pin "
It is possible and it's best to remove from the bottom, as is with just about any Honda.

You can get it from the top but be extra careful tilting the engine out because of the shift linkagage.

Also be careful how you set the motor down on the ground so it doesn't flop backward and break the linkage.

Best if you have at least 3 people to move it so one person can work the hoist and 2 people can work the motor.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kohen
In a word: yes

i like this answer the best .. lol .. i just wasnt sure if it would clear cause of the angle but yeah i got a hoist and all i gotta do is disconnect the shifter from inside the car and pop the axles and out it comes?? from the top ?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Please see stickies at the top. Thread titles must summarize tech question -- edited.
haha .. sorry cant post in any section yet .. im just trying to get my 5 posts in cause i post way more than 5 in 15 days .. but i will as soon as i can ..
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll have to jack the car up kinda high for the shift linkage to clear the subframe
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mikasa
You'll have to jack the car up kinda high for the shift linkage to clear the subframe

it might sound like i dont know what im doing but really i do .. lol .. i just aint use to jacking my car up 3 feet into the air to take out the motor .. haha .. but ill try out the top first then if that dont work ill have to go out the bottom i guess .. hillbilly motor services.. lmfao
Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup thats the way i did it when i replaced the tranny. its nearly impossible to remove the shift linkage with the bitch pin from the tranny while ur underneath the car. get the easy shift linkage unhitched at the tranny, the one with the bitch pin just undo that one underneath the boot where it connects to the shifter bar. then i just dropped the tranny out and removed the bitch pin with a punch. pretty easy actually if its out from underneath the car and you can get a good angle and whack it out.

AND MAKE SURE you geat the axels popped out out the tranny enough or it will be a pina in the *** to deal with when you start dropping it. if one of them still wont come out, then pop it back in to place and re pop it out.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The pin can be removed with AC Compressor bolt + 3-5 LB sledge fairly easily.

But the answer is yes, if you jack the car up high enough or remove the motor from the bottom.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by donut.

But the answer is yes, if you jack the car up high enough or remove the motor from the bottom.
Tried that once the swap was put didn't work. Just bent two of the Ac bolts
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone keeps saying take it from underneath ... im taking it out of the top .. ill cut the damn links off before i take the motor out from underneath .. i just wouldnt feel safe doing that since my car isnt in a garage or doesnt even have e-brakes yet.. lol .. but i think if i jack the front of the car up enough the linkage should be able to come out without a problem
Old 11-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it would deff be easiest if you used the engine hoist and a lanyard/sling and lift the front end of the car supporting the motor/tranny with a jack and some cribbing/2x4 for balance. That is by far the easiest way to remove any Honda motor I've ever messed with
Old 11-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look I have taken my d16y8 and y7 out of the car from top so many times it's not even funny. Disconnect the shift linkages along with everything else including exhaust. Take manifold and a/c crap off for extra playing room. Make sure to jack the car way up because you will need to raise the engine higher with that linkage still attached. Have an extra person help if you like, most of the time I do it solo but it is nice to extra eyes watching stuff. As for that pin I have never removed it before this most recent build. I read where people said a few good hits and it will go so i tried it. Took a philips head screw driver roughly the same size as the pin. A few good taps and there she goes. At first I thought its not moving and is this too hard then bam that was it. Reverse steps to put her back in. I went a head and picked up some taps for the hell of it.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by guessohw
Look I have taken my d16y8 and y7 out of the car from top so many times it's not even funny. Disconnect the shift linkages along with everything else including exhaust. Take manifold and a/c crap off for extra playing room. Make sure to jack the car way up because you will need to raise the engine higher with that linkage still attached. Have an extra person help if you like, most of the time I do it solo but it is nice to extra eyes watching stuff. As for that pin I have never removed it before this most recent build. I read where people said a few good hits and it will go so i tried it. Took a philips head screw driver roughly the same size as the pin. A few good taps and there she goes. At first I thought its not moving and is this too hard then bam that was it. Reverse steps to put her back in. I went a head and picked up some taps for the hell of it.
thanks sounds like a plan ... all i gotta do is re-connect the block and tranny(together) and pop the axles and out the top she comes .. other than the shifter through the floor has to be removed first .. thanks for the advice people
Old 11-16-2011, 05:28 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

haha .. sorry cant post in any section yet .. im just trying to get my 5 posts in cause i post way more than 5 in 15 days .. but i will as soon as i can ..
He was telling you not to name your thread "98 civic". You need to name the thread based on the subject of the thread. This thread isn't just about '98 Civics. This thread is about a specific problem and stating that in the title will help bring the correct attention to it and will also make it easier for people to find in a search later.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
He was telling you not to name your thread "98 civic". You need to name the thread based on the subject of the thread. This thread isn't just about '98 Civics. This thread is about a specific problem and stating that in the title will help bring the correct attention to it and will also make it easier for people to find in a search later.

lol ... ooooo .. duh!!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if u jack it up high enough to pull the linkage out the top with the motor. why not drop it out the bottom and slide it out if you have it jacked up high as it is. it would make this so much easier and u wont be cutting anything or damaging anything. if u wanna do it the hard way go ahead don't say we didn't tell you the easiest and fastest way to do it. getting the bitch pin out isn't hard. they make a special tool mad for an air hammer you can put on a air hammer to knock it out easily.http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ACRUA-...item3a6a7d9833 heres the tool
Old 11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donut.

I second this... I have done this so many times I've lost track. Works perfect every time or you can also use the correct punch..

I have never even had to use a punch because i just use the AC Compressor bolt, but if you wanted to go and buy the correct punch i believe it is 8mm.

Originally Posted by Mikasa
Tried that once the swap was put didn't work. Just bent two of the Ac bolts
You must not be doing it right man.. The key is using a 3lb or 4lb hammer, these pins knock right out and go right back in just as easy.. It's important that you understand that for the ease of removal next time...

My first time pulling an engine I went to Harbor Freight and bought a cheap engine hoist.. bolted a chain up and pulled it out from the top.

Try searching on here there are threads with pics and detailed information.

https://honda-tech.com/search.php
(Search topic titles)
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^i'm guessing the hammer I'm using is too heavy.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did he even say if he was pulling a stock motor lol...Ive pulled a D series through the top with linkage installed but with my b series it jus goes to the ground anymore way easier
Old 11-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just use a cutoff wheel and cut the linkage problem solved. Or just take the pin out. seriously its easy

Quick Reply: 98 civic-possible to remove engine+trans with shift linkage still connected?