Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic LX - adding under-hood starter switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 98 Civic LX - adding under-hood starter switch

I need to be able to crank my Civic's engine when I'm under the hood so that I can simultaneously crank the engine and observe the results necessary.

If anyone has any suggestions for a proper under-hood starter switch part, I would greatly appreciate it.

AND, if anyone has an easy hook-up that I can use, I'd greatly appreciate that, too.

Thanks,
David
Old 01-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: 98 Civic LX - adding under-hood starter switch

jump the starter....what are you trying to see tho ?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
jump the starter....what are you trying to see tho ?
For starters, the spark at the plug. It would help to see that the camshaft is turning, so I can confirm the timing belt didn't snap. I just need to see if a spark is happening at the plugs (& troubleshoot backwards to the distributor), to eliminate that possible issue with the car cranking but not starting.

I just don't have anyone I can ask to crank the key while I'm under the hood.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

KD makes one:
Amazon.com: KD Tools SWITCH REMOTE STARTER: Car Electronics Amazon.com: KD Tools SWITCH REMOTE STARTER: Car Electronics
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just stopped by AutoZone to see about an under-hood starter switch. They have several, ranging in price from $4.99 to $19.99. They are just raw switches with no wires or clips. The cheap one was rated at 20 amps, which matches all the others, so I spent $4.99. They didn't have any of the switches (which include wires & clips at $14.99) shown on their web page as being in-stock for my store.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Son, if you want to see if your timing belt is snapped, simply remove the upper timing belt cover and look. I'm surprised nobody has said this yet. I took mine off for good, and have driven the car in torrential downpours, hot steamy summer days, and 8 inch deep snow for miles on end (ie typical illinois weather year round), and have never had an issue with my timing belt getting wet or hit by debris, since its up so high in the bay and the cover only exposes the top six inches of the belt.

Removing the valve cover is a must, or at least loosening all 5 bolts. The timing belt cover has a tab that slides underneath the valve cover and you have to lift it to pop it out. Its a pain to remove, due to the hard to reach bolts, but I did it without removing anything from the bay so you should be able to as well. Now go return that switch and save yourself 5 bucks.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not check to see if the rotor moves during cranking? you don't need anything special.

but if you think the belt snapped and you are going to continue cranking the car over, might as well call a machine shop for a price on replacing valves now.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crazyhouse2011
Son, ...
You've left me speechless, mainly because Dad is 84, and I'm just 29 behind him, and HE is the only person who gets to use that pronoun. So, allow me to quote from my 2nd post in this thread:
Originally Posted by DarkFlame
For starters, the spark at the plug.
Removing the upper timing belt cover is not necessary for this process, and I'd prefer to avoid "Its a pain to remove, due to the hard to reach bolts" for now, and I'll save that for my next Civic project ... changing the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump.

Meanwhile, the timing belt is NOT the only thing I need to examine.

Originally Posted by kyden
why not check to see if the rotor moves during cranking? you don't need anything special.
As a point of reference, I measured the cam lobe to the oil filler opening and then re-measured after cranking the key/engine. It measures differently, so I am certain that the timing belt is still intact and functioning properly.

... but if you think the belt snapped and you are going to continue cranking the car over, might as well call a machine shop for a price on replacing valves now.
By now, the engine has been cranked over more times than I can count. There was no noise when the engine stopped, it just went silently dead. If the timing belt had broken, the too-much-cranking damage would have been done immediately as the 1st thing we did was try to restart the engine, only to have it just crank & crank.

According to my troubleshooting guide (located HERE), I am at that point (Section 1) where I've determined the timing belt is good but need to check spark at the plug. With nobody to crank the key, I have to do it while observing the plug spark.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

but if you think the belt snapped and you are going to continue cranking the car over, might as well call a machine shop for a price on replacing valves now.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a bad distributor. I was in the middle of assembling the remote start switch when the neighbor's mobile mechanic showed up. He took 15 minutes to troubleshoot - doing exactly what it shows in the diagram I linked earlier - and showed me that there is no spark coming out of the distributor but it IS getting all the juice and grounds required.

There is no visible damage to the distributor, but there is also no voltage coming out of the distributor - NO SPARK!!!

And, since the rotor rotates when cranking, we know the timing belt is still good. So, I'm checking out distributor prices online.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Generally it's just the coil or igniter that goes bad. I'd just replace that. Aftermarket distributors are almost universally junk for these cars.