Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

98 Civic EX auto trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic EX auto trans flush

I was told by a freind that this is the site for Honda tech. I just got a 98 Civc EX auto for my wife and I want to change out all the fluids since it has probably never been done (oil being the exception). I've always flushed my own automatics by dropping the pan and fitting a hose to the pump inlet (most cars and truck you cut the filter neck off and clamp a hose to it) and letting the pump flush new fluid from a bucket through the trans. I was told that the Civic's trans filter is not at the bottom of the pan like I'm used to and you can't reach it unless you rebuild the trans. Is this true? Does the trans have a pick-up tube going to the bottom of the pan that I can attach my hose too so I can flush the trans? I was going to drop the pan and look myself, but figured someone out there has probably done it before. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: 98 Civic EX auto trans flush (pknowles)

How many miles on the car ? I would just do the 90% flush boogey !
Provided by another forum member. I cannot remember his name and he WILL flame me!

Honda Auto-Trans Flush = 1 case (12 qrts) Honda ATF aprox $50. 1 new drain bolt washer $1.
1) Put the front of the car up on jackstands with the wheels off the ground. Put a large container under drain plug.
2) Remove the transmission drain plug (3/8" drive ratchet works fine). Let transmission drain and wipe sludge off drain plug.
3) Reinstall drain plug and snug (not tighten). Fill transmission with three quarts of ATF.
4) Start engine and shift into drive. Gently accelerate and let transmission upshift through the gears (don't go over 50 MPH).
5) Step on brakes and bring speedo to 0.
6) Shift into reverse and accelerate to 20 MPH.
7) Bring speedo back to 0 with brakes. Shift to park and shut off engine.
8) Repeat steps 2 through 7 TWO MORE TIMES.
9) Drain the transmission once more. Reinstall drain plug and tighten firmly (don't forget to reinstall crush washer).
10) Remove jackstands and put vehicle on level ground.
11) Fill transmission with 2 1/2 quarts of ATF. Start engine. Shift to drive, then reverse, then put back in park and shut off engine.
12) Check transmission fluid level. Top off if needed to bring fluid level to the top of the crosshatch marks on the dipstick.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: 98 Civic EX auto trans flush (alotawatts)

The car has 67k miles, but it is 7-8 years old. I'll do like you said. Thanks.