Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (with pics (to come))

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (with pics (to come))

WOW....

I never realized this but the other day I was told they were a bolt on for civics with a front teg hub swap... well we had one prelude caliper sitting around work so I grabbed it and tried it out...

Bolts right up to my stock hubs... It's off a little but that's how I heard it was with the teg set up too... So now i'm just gunna grab the one disk we have at work too and see what It's going to need to get put on... then I'll just buy rebuilt calipers and some brembo blanks...

Gotta make sure my 15" heliums will fit over them though...

I already did the rear disk conversion but never did the front teg brakes because I couldn't really see a difference and didn't want to pay any more money...

My only thought though is that the teg/prelude guys upgrade to the legend/nsx dual piston calipers... I wonder if I could go straight to those....

I DEFINATELY don't want to have to buy new wheels though... I'm cheap as hell.

Anyway hope this isn't common knowledge...

From the side...

From the front/side...

From the backside...

Modified by NonovUrbizniz at 5:33 AM 2/28/2004
Old 02-26-2004, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (NonovUrbizniz)

nice how off are they i'm interested
Old 02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (flip b18b)

Not much... I believe I heard 5mm either spacer behind the caliper or grinding 5mm of material off the caliper mount location on the hub... I think i'll try spacers first for sure... i wouldn't want to go grinding off material test fitting it...

My car is at stock ride hieght so I don't have to worry about rubbing by offsetting the wheels 5 extra mm...

it looked pretty close.

I'm gunna try to get the stock prelude rotor we have at work drilled for 4x100 by the weekend so I can get a clearer picture of it... maybe I'll also grab one of my wheels just to be sure it'll fit...

But if it does i'm gunna be all over this in the next couple of weeks... I LOVE being able to stop rediculously fast.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for pics thanks to we-todd-did...

Also I didn't get a chance to grab the rotor today... I wouldn't have been able to drill it anyway.

If anyone knows this is known feel free to let me know.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not much... I believe I heard 5mm either spacer behind the caliper or grinding 5mm of material off the caliper mount location on the hub... I think i'll try spacers first for sure... i wouldn't want to go grinding off material test fitting it...

My car is at stock ride hieght so I don't have to worry about rubbing by offsetting the wheels 5 extra mm...

it looked pretty close.

I'm gunna try to get the stock prelude rotor we have at work drilled for 4x100 by the weekend so I can get a clearer picture of it... maybe I'll also grab one of my wheels just to be sure it'll fit...

But if it does i'm gunna be all over this in the next couple of weeks... I LOVE being able to stop rediculously fast.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i had one of my friends that put the accord caplier on his 92 civic we had to shim the caplier for it to work.. I'll see if I can get some pics for you
Old 02-27-2004, 10:37 PM

I have a 95 ex with Type R calipers, im guessing they are pretty similar. I had to shave the spacer off of the caliper to make them fit correctly. As for the rotor i used 92-96 prelude vtec rotors redrilled to 4x100. Overall the conversion wasnt that hard and was definetly worth,. If you guys have any questions about it just let me know.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's been done before similar here ---
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=659063
Old 02-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?!

thanks for all the info guys...

I was wondering if anyone knows the deal on the 2 piston legend/nsx calipers though...

I figure why not just bump straight up to those...

I'm going to check the legend we have at my work this coming week, see if it has 2 pistons on it... if so I'll pull those and see if i can get them on...

if so I'll get those instead and do a write up... should be near identical to emerika's though.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow you need to do alot of research dude not to be a dick but this has been covered alot.

but the bolt patteren from the lud to the civic is different which means you have to redrill rotors and i don't like that idea. or you can switch to 4x114.3 lug pattern.

and its not just 97+ the 92+ prelude VTEC rotors are 11.1 also.

and about the NSX caliper it actually has LESS clamping force then the ITR caliper
this thread explains it
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=293540

anything that has to do with 11.1 inch rotors can be found in my post on this page
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=9 (its down near the bottom)

again i would not suggest re drilling rotors no rotor company would do it so i wouldn't either.

an easier solution would be to look into the VW carrado (sp) or something like that. there is some posts on here and they say they are 11.1 inch rotors in the same spec's as the honda 11.1" rotor. and the offset is some what close to that of the honda set up
Old 02-28-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow you need to do alot of research dude not to be a dick but this has been covered alot.

but the bolt patteren from the lud to the civic is different which means you have to redrill rotors and i don't like that idea. or you can switch to 4x114.3 lug pattern.

and its not just 97+ the 92+ prelude VTEC rotors are 11.1 also.

and about the NSX caliper it actually has LESS clamping force then the ITR caliper
this thread explains it
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=293540

anything that has to do with 11.1 inch rotors can be found in my post on this page
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=9 (its down near the bottom)

again i would not suggest re drilling rotors no rotor company would do it so i wouldn't either.

an easier solution would be to look into the VW carrado (sp) or something like that. there is some posts on here and they say they are 11.1 inch rotors in the same spec's as the honda 11.1" rotor. and the offset is some what close to that of the honda set up</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to be a dick... but... Where is there ANY mention of it being doable on STOCK civic spindles... I've heard about it being done on "GSR" (all teg front brakes are the same minus type R) fronts.... never on stock ex spindles...

As far as re-drilling... I have NO concerns with that... I'm certainly not doing a hub conversion for no reason other than that, unless it looks REALLY shaky once I'm done with it... If you look at the rotors when they go on the only thing actually holding them to the hub is the set screw... there is space ALL THE WAY AROUND the holes for the studs....

I'll look into the corrado rotors... I got a couple vdubber friends who may have some laying around...

I'm VERY suprised about the thread saying the 2 piston legend calipers aren't as good as the type R ones... which the theory makes sense but I don't think it's that simple... if honda could have put a cheaper caliper up front and got better braking out of the NSX I think they would've done it. but who knows.

I'd like to see an ACTUAL measurement of the clamping force of each before I agree with a simple area calculation... that doesn't even consider the effects of different internal designs of the caliper.

People try to apply one theory to something that has LOTS of factors envolved and say that's it... I think there's more to it...

but like I said I'll pull the legend front calipers we have at work next week and see what, if anything I can figure out...
Old 02-28-2004, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm VERY suprised about the thread saying the 2 piston legend calipers aren't as good as the type R ones... which the theory makes sense but I don't think it's that simple... if honda could have put a cheaper caliper up front and got better braking out of the NSX I think they would've done it. but who knows.

I'd like to see an ACTUAL measurement of the clamping force of each before I agree with a simple area calculation... that doesn't even consider the effects of different internal designs of the caliper.

People try to apply one theory to something that has LOTS of factors envolved and say that's it... I think there's more to it...

but like I said I'll pull the legend front calipers we have at work next week and see what, if anything I can figure out...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't see how calipers can work different. they are power by the fluid being forced into the caliper and moving the claping force onto the pad.

as stated in the other post, the nsx and legend calipers have the two piston's on the same side unlike most aftermarket multipiston calipers were they put them on both sides.

every body forgets that the NSX although a great sprots car is not on the same level as a ITR. now don't go haten on this statment or anything but the us never had a NSXR so in comparision the NSX is like a ls or gs integra. and the ITR is a 'race inspired' car. now i know the NSX is a sports car designed with track inspired idea's. but if you look at from this point of view there is no NSXR. which explains why the ITR caliper has better clamping force.

im just trying to shed some light on this idea for you. its not like im against doing the NSX calipers. in fact i was going to put them on my set up as well, untill i read that thread.

the ITR caliper is MASSIVE and when paried on a EG/ek can brake like no other. i don't think it would be worth it even if the calipers did perform better. rebuilt ITR calipers are only 50 bucks when NSX's are about 150 i think. can't remeber exactly as i was not super interested in them that much because i would have to use wheel spacer which means extended studs.

bottom line is i don't think the NSX calipers clamp better then the ITR's (remeber the nsx calipers we are talking about are EARLY NSX calipers i think 91 92 only came with the 11.1' rotors.)
Old 02-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also the clamping force of the caliper has alot to do with the MC. so those equations make that so they would all be with the same size MC.

maybe when the NSX calipers are on the NSX and with its bigger MC they have more clamping force
Old 02-29-2004, 03:25 AM

Back on the note of fitting.

Everyone puts 3mm spacers between the disc and hub, but say if you're machining the bracket then to take off 2mm.

So surely a 3mm spacer would push the disc into the other side of the caliper if you only actually need to remove 2mm?

I have the parts for this upgrade so would like to know before I do it!!

Thanks alot
Old 02-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as stated in other threads and posts the calapers will bolt up to stock civic spindle's but only if they are the ABS unit. most people would rather get the GSR spindle's instead of the civic ABS spindle's because u don;t have to reflair everything, actually i think its any 94+ integra front spindle's will work. but im not 100% sure.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (bmcc72)

Are pre 92 Prelude rotors the same size as 92+? Aside from being 4x100.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:33 AM

I have civic ABS hubs already.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (bmcc72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmcc72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as stated in other threads and posts the calapers will bolt up to stock civic spindle's but only if they are the ABS unit. most people would rather get the GSR spindle's instead of the civic ABS spindle's because u don;t have to reflair everything, actually i think its any 94+ integra front spindle's will work. but im not 100% sure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry... no abs here... these are STOCK civic ex NON ABS spindles...
Old 03-01-2004, 05:13 AM

Nonov, what size spacer did you use between the hub and the brake disc?
Old 03-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (DanW)

highly doubt it, they are probably in the 9.1 to 10.2 range
Old 03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (towns)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by towns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nonov, what size spacer did you use between the hub and the brake disc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All I've done so far is bolt the caliper up to see if it would...

I haven't spaced anything yet... i have to get the prelude rotor we have at work and re-drill it to 4x100... then I'll put that on and see what kind of spacing I have to do from there...

I also have to be sure I bring one of my summer wheels as I'm on steelies right now and theres NO way they will fit over these calipers...

I will update the thread once I've gotten the rotor drilled and spaced on there.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have seen and heard certain wheels fitting over the calipers with no spacer or grinding. the volk te37 and the one advan wheel that i can't think of the name of right now. you will most likely need to run a 3 or 4 mm spacer as that is what i had to remove off of my caliper
Old 03-02-2004, 03:32 PM

Fitted mine today with 23mm thick discs, didn't use any spacers. Had to put a 1.5mm washer on the caliper bracket so that the disc sat in the middle.

Very pleased!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would that work with a cx if i put ex rotors on there?
Old 03-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (H22A EG6)

yes you could even put GSR rotor's on it and use GSR calipers
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok
well i got 2 1994 Prelude VTEC rotors and calipers if any one is intersted

Quick Reply: 97+ Prelude Calipers bolt on to 92-95 EX hubs!?! (with pics (to come))