Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 ex coupe obd2>obd1 conversion, list of parts needed ... searched

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ex coupe obd2>obd1 conversion, list of parts needed ... searched

alrite .. i really did search and couldnt find what i needed .. or found mixed answers

if i want to do an obd1 conversion in my car i know i would need:
p28
obd2-obd1 conversion harness
(easy enough)

now i heard some people say that new injectors and new plugs for the injectors are needed, but then i saw a thread that used the same injectors, and just took of the blue cap that was on the plug .. something like that

also i've heard people say i need an obd1 alternator, dizzy

so if somone could just list every part that i would need to do this conversion that would be awesome
Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so you really tried searching for info? ok let me give it a try and see if i can find something.
http://www.ff-squad.com/techne...2.htm
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=558245
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/642479

well look at that isnt it amazing when you search
Old 04-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ekb16)

alrite well i dont want an obd2 engine in an obd1 car, i don't want to know how to wire, and i already went the the FAQ

all i want is a simple list of parts i would need, because some people say you need some parts taht other people say are not necessary

so like i said .. i did search, and i found mixed answers so if somone could just list the parts i need that would be great .. just like i asked in my first post
Old 04-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only parts you will need are the obd1 ecu and conversion harness. now if your doing this so that you can run crome or uberdata on a boosted car with dsm 450's then you will need to modify the injector plugs a little to get them to work with the injectors but that really has nothign to do with the conversion your asking about. it's very simple and worth the money.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jeffsciv23)

sweet .. i was hoping all i needed was the conversion harness and the ecu .. thats badass

i heard something about getting an obd1 alternator? .. is that bs?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:45 AM
MidwestCartel

Default Re: (jeffsciv23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffsciv23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only parts you will need are the obd1 ecu and conversion harness. now if your doing this so that you can run crome or uberdata on a boosted car with dsm 450's then you will need to modify the injector plugs a little to get them to work with the injectors but that really has nothign to do with the conversion your asking about. it's very simple and worth the money. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how is it worth the money? what does it really give you other than bypassing some emissions and ridding the knock sensor? To see anything dont you have to tune it? that runs into the $500 range at least. One thing i never saw the light was, what benifit does just converting an OBD2, to obd1. Dont you have to tune it directly afterwards to fit your setup? I mean the OBD1 doesnt learn your fuel maps like OBD2.

So for people just doing the conversion, then thats it, how does this give them any benifit over OBD2?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidwestCartel)

obd1 and a chipped p28 can be tuned far more than an obd2 .. obd2 can't even be tuned from my understanding ..

for instance, if i turbo my d16, i can not tune my car with my obd2 set up.. tuning is essential .. therefore i will need the obd1 set up to do so
Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: 97 ex coupe obd2>obd1 conversion, list of parts needed ... searched (pjr710)

Old 04-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidwestCartel)

yeah you won't need to change your alternater

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidwestCartel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how is it worth the money? what does it really give you other than bypassing some emissions and ridding the knock sensor? To see anything dont you have to tune it? that runs into the $500 range at least. One thing i never saw the light was, what benifit does just converting an OBD2, to obd1. Dont you have to tune it directly afterwards to fit your setup? I mean the OBD1 doesnt learn your fuel maps like OBD2.

So for people just doing the conversion, then thats it, how does this give them any benifit over OBD2?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the abilitie to be able to run a chipped ecu instead of a AFC or other piggy back tuning method is worth it alone. conversion harness is about $75 and i chip ecu's so that's alot cheaper then whaterever an AFC is going for now a days. obd2 doesn't "learn" your fuel for you, it still reads from the chip. but when you go obd1 you can burn whatever chip youneed for your set-up. and tuning shouldn't run $500, average price for a street tuned car is about $100-150. if your gonna mess with cam gears and timing to squeeze every HP out of it then you might want to get on the dyno for a few pulls which would be more expensive all depending on how much the dyno fees are.

i don't know of anybody that just does the conversion just to be obd1 and not boost or swap in another motor.