Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 ek4 -- Driver Door Open switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ek4 -- Driver Door Open switch

Sup guys i need a little help here.(tried searchong the above and came up with nothing..)

when i first got my car, i tidied up all the wiring etc pulled out bits of home theatre systems etc... i remember some odd wires that lead to no where and pulled them out as well...

However, i cant seem to remember if the light on the dash that indicates that a door is open worked when the drivers door was open or not... im inclined to think so but cant remember. When the boot/passenger door/hood is open, the light on the dash comes on. when the drivers door is opened, it stays off. Now i thought it may be a loose connection but ive checked that, its all 100s.

the way i see it it works on a circuit, when the door is open the circuit is closed causing the light to come on, when closed circuit is open making the light go off... - thats a very simple way of how it may work - although im sure it works with some sort of relay.

I know theres power/connection to the door because when i press the swith in/simulate the door being closed, as it makes contact, i hear this click sound from under the dash on the drivers side.(i didnt check to see if it does the same with the other door)

Now i dunno whats going on and i have looked to see just where everything is just yet - was hoping some1 could identify the problem so i know where to look instead of doing it the long way lol.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Driver Door Open switch

Originally Posted by Skar-ZA
Sup guys i need a little help here.(tried searchong the above and came up with nothing..)

when i first got my car, i tidied up all the wiring etc pulled out bits of home theatre systems etc... i remember some odd wires that lead to no where and pulled them out as well...

However, i cant seem to remember if the light on the dash that indicates that a door is open worked when the drivers door was open or not... im inclined to think so but cant remember. When the boot/passenger door/hood is open, the light on the dash comes on. when the drivers door is opened, it stays off. Now i thought it may be a loose connection but ive checked that, its all 100s.

the way i see it it works on a circuit, when the door is open the circuit is closed causing the light to come on, when closed circuit is open making the light go off... - thats a very simple way of how it may work - although im sure it works with some sort of relay.

I know theres power/connection to the door because when i press the swith in/simulate the door being closed, as it makes contact, i hear this click sound from under the dash on the drivers side.(i didnt check to see if it does the same with the other door)

Now i dunno whats going on and i have looked to see just where everything is just yet - was hoping some1 could identify the problem so i know where to look instead of doing it the long way lol.
there is some sort of alarm aftermarket device under the dash thats probably interrupting the door switch, you said you have indicators on the dash? what are you driving?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i drive a 97 ek4.

i dont think the immobiliser would make a difference seeing as the door open light on the dash come on when any of the other doors are open. its only when i open the drivers door it doesnt show that the door is open..i could be driving with my divers door wide open and i wouldnt know it if i looked at the instrument panel.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skar-ZA
i drive a 97 ek4.

i dont think the immobiliser would make a difference seeing as the door open light on the dash come on when any of the other doors are open. its only when i open the drivers door it doesnt show that the door is open..i could be driving with my divers door wide open and i wouldnt know it if i looked at the instrument panel.
did they replace the radio? does the dome light come on? I know on my 98 I found the original radio stuffed behind the dash, they couldn't figure out how to make the lights work without it, I remember having to simply jumper two wires, what happened is the factory keyless entry system was in the radio box, and also controlled the dome light
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

radio has been removed yes, and ill be double checking this afternoon if the dome light comes on when drivers door is open - i think it does but will confirm. i would have thought that the relay would be fine as if its clicking its getting signal/power right?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 ek4 -- Driver Door Open switch

the dome light does come on as per normal when the drover door is opened, just doesnt indicate on the cluster....

is it possible that the relay may be faulty? not too clued up but i been thinking, if the relay has 4 incoming connection points(one for each door), shouldnt it have 4 outgoing points as well - or if im correct in saying that all the switched do is provide an earth to the realy causing the light to come on, then itll have one main feed from all the doors, with 4 out going? if this is true and the drivers/1 of the 4 connections is loose this would explain why the relay clicks when the button is pressed but no signal is getting through to the instrument panel?

perhaps can somebody explain how the system works?