Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 DX - Short n sweet , please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 97 DX - Short n sweet , please help!

Hello all, ill keep this story short and sweet. if you can help me I would appreciate it.

I own a 97 honda civic dx I purchased last year, 2018. Ran well, replaced a brake like, a fuel filter, a slave cylinder, battery, cv axle, and a wiper motor.
I left for military training in Mississippi for 45 days. Came back June 26th 2019, 2 months ago. The honda was not started once during those 45 days, but ran great before I left.
Started the honda for 3 seconds and it died. More info , it started for 3 seconds and started puttering and I tried giving it gas and it wouldnt rev up and it died. I dont know why its not starting.
I replaced the starter , wishful thinking, no luck. Replaced the distributor, no luck. Replaced spark plugs, no luck. Battery is fine, measures 12 volts. the alarm system is off on the car,
replaced the main fuel relay because I read those go in these hondas, no luck. checked the fuses under hood, specifically the ECU fuse, no fuses looked bad.
Completed a compression test, cylinders 1 and 2 I get 120 PSI, cylinders 3 and 4 I get 70 PSI.
Completed a spark test and I have spark at all 4 cylinders. Checked fuel pressure after the filter and I have pressure.
Ive taken the exhaust header off thinking the exhaust got clogged, no luck. I put dry gas and octane booster in the tank as well.

If anyone has any thoughts of what I should do next I will appreciate it. Thank you

EDIT1 : I just took the timing cover off and crankshaft pulley and the timing belt looks good and the engine doesnt look out of time.
EDIT2 :Tried using starting fluid too. Used a noid light to test the 4 injectors and each injector looked good

EDIT3 : This is a video showing the engine trying to start. This video shows engine after I replaced spark plugs, distributor, and starter.
I showed some other guys and they said the engine sounds out of time but I recently took the timing covers off and the engine doesnt look out of time

EDIT4 FINAL EDIT : Got it fixed guys, thanks. The issue was the aftermarket security system installed by the previous owner. Somehow when I was away the system became unplugged and would not allow the engine to start. No one is confessing to who unplugged it but it is what it is. Thank you all for the suggestions! Fixed it by completely removing the aftermarket security system

Last edited by Josh_Scranton; 08-14-2019 at 04:11 AM. Reason: missing info
Old 08-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default re: 97 DX - Short n sweet , please help!

Is starting fluid to try to start the car
Old 08-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Is starting fluid to try to start the car
Yes I have tried starting fluid too
Old 08-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spec is 135 in each cylinder. You having 70 is the two is what would worry me. But if noone drove the car then im not sure how it would be that low. Granted, there was no compression test done before you left. Youre sure noone drove it? Was it left out in the weather maybe water somehow made its way into the engine and rusted the cylinder walls? I would get a noid light and test the injectors. Or like chrysler kid said try some starting fluid and see what happens.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jon570
Spec is 135 in each cylinder. You having 70 is the two is what would worry me. But if noone drove the car then im not sure how it would be that low. Granted, there was no compression test done before you left. Youre sure noone drove it? Was it left out in the weather maybe water somehow made its way into the engine and rusted the cylinder walls? I would get a noid light and test the injectors. Or like chrysler kid said try some starting fluid and see what happens.
It did rain a lot when I was away so its a possibility. I used a noid light and injectors looked good. Forgot to mention that in the OP
Old 08-06-2019, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You did wet and dry compression tests? Maybe in 45 days the old valve seals failed. Also, since the two low ones are next to each other, maybe you havr a head gasket failure, with the two leaking into each other. Any oil in coolant or coolant in oil?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by California98Civ
You did wet and dry compression tests? Maybe in 45 days the old valve seals failed. Also, since the two low ones are next to each other, maybe you havr a head gasket failure, with the two leaking into each other. Any oil in coolant or coolant in oil?
Valve seals will not prevent the engine from running.

You tried starting fluid, but you did not say what happened when you tried. Please provide details.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: 97 DX - Short n sweet , please help!

Check for rodent damage-- chewed wires or hoses, mouse nest in the intake.

Know the timing marks and be sure it is really in time. Timing light can be used on an engine that does not run. It should fire near TDC when cranking.

Always disconnect the low voltage wires to the distributor when cranking with the spark wires disconnected (e.g. compression test), or the coil is likely to be damaged.

Disconnect the fuel return line to check fuel flow and get a sample to see if it is clean. Do this at the return line. Loosening the bolt on the filter like everyone on youtube does is not as good of a test.

Putting a small amount of automatic transmission fluid (any type) in each cylinder and let it sit at least overnight can help to re-seal the rings and get more compression to get started.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:15 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by mk378
Putting a small amount of automatic transmission fluid (any type) in each cylinder and let it sit at least overnight can help to re-seal the rings and get more compression to get started.
This is the thought that occurred to me this morning as I was coming downstairs to get my coffee.

Car has sat for 45 days, possible leaky injectors let gas seep into the cylinders washing all the oil away.

Adding a tiny amount of oil or tranny fluid into each cylinder to reseal the rings and the car might restart up and keep the walls oiled and sealed.

My wife's motor if it sits for extended time does this but only #4 so engine starts and sound horrible until the pistons oil up the cylinder and it clears up after a quick little rev or two.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by California98Civ
I only done a dry compression test. I will do a wet compression test and get back with the results. Thank you for the response

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Valve seals will not prevent the engine from running.

You tried starting fluid, but you did not say what happened when you tried. Please provide details.
Starting fluid was one of the first things I tried. Like I said, the vehicle started up briefly for 3 seconds and died. Initially I checked the battery and fuel. Battery checked 12 volts and gas is half tank.
I bought a can of starting fluid, octane booster, and dry gas at autozone. I put the dry gas and booster in the tank and had my father in law try to start the vehicle while I sprayed the starting fluid on the air filter.
After I had no luck on the air filter I sprayed the starting fluid into the throttle.

I have a video of the engine trying to turn over. I will post it! Thank you TomCat39 for the response
Old 08-07-2019, 04:37 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Josh_Scranton
After I had no luck on the air filter I sprayed the starting fluid into the throttle.
At this point, did the engine fire for a brief moment (the 3 seconds)?
Old 08-07-2019, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In your video it does not sound out of time to me, and if the belt checked out when you inspected, I can't believe that it went out while sitting still for a month. In your video at seconds 8-9 there is an odd deep fluttering sound (air movement?). That sound seems odd... but nothing else. You have (1) spark, (2) fuel... do you have (3) air? Have you taken apart the airbox? Somebody above suggested rodents... that's no joke... I have found a nest in the airbox of a great aunt's car once.

EDIT... of all your tests, only the compression test has come up a fail. Those 70s on 3 & 4 are about 40% below 1 & 2, which is way beyond the max 15% and a really low absolute number... could be rings... could be valves seals... needs to be fixed even if it is not the main "no start" culprit. Also, the oil pump is working whenever the engine is turning so with all your attempted engine starting, turning it with the starter motor, the rings should be oiled by now, no?

Last edited by California98Civ; 08-07-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
At this point, did the engine fire for a brief moment (the 3 seconds)?
No it did not. The vehicle only started for the 3 seconds the first time i tried to start it after the 45 days. After the first time I would only get a click when I tried to turn the engine over.
After replacing the distributor, spark plugs, and starter I tried starting it again and giving it gas and thats when I took the video.