Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 civic will not start have checked pretty much everything in the book but this is my first OBD2 sw

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic will not start have checked pretty much everything in the book but this is my first OBD2 sw

OK first off here is the build
97 Civic HX with HX wiring harness

OBD1 B18b1 long block all stock internals

ys1 tranny with avid hydro to cable swap mount

OBD2A p75 ECU

now i will list what we have checked and what we have tryed

checked all grounds using a multi-meter for both resistance and voltage drops and all were reading a solid 12.3 Volts which is exactly what the battery itself is putting out

have tryed multiple sets of injectors (although it seems fuel is definently the issue with this build

One thing we DON'T have the2 of the sensors plugged in CPS or the FIA(not sure if FIA is the right term for it but its the plug that comes out of the injector area on the harness looks like it could be for a 5th injector but goes to that sensor which we dont have a place to plug in on a OBD1 LS intake mani .

We have tested all grounds going to the ECU and again all read 12.3 volts just the same as the battery

Have tryed 2 different dizzys one OBD2 one OBD1(had to re pin it)

Have tryed 2 different ECUs stock 97 HX and the OBD2 P75

have quintuple checked firing order and is definently correct

Fuel pressure seems to begood but havent actually tested the pressure reading on it

tryed open header thinking the cat may have been cloged

tryed 2 different MAP sensors

And it does get consistant spark on all cylinders

getting roughly 160-180 PSI compression 1-4

OK heres what the car does when trying to start it

it will start with starter fluid which tells me its a fuel issue for sure

BUT! once you get it started with starter fluid you can keep it running by tapping quickly the gas between 10-20% throttle

once it says started it will throw a CEL but im unable to check that til i can get a code reader tomorrow

when trying trying to start without starter fluid it will try to start about every forth crank but never actually start

so im stumped

Any ideas???????????
Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 97 civic will not start have checked pretty much everything in the book but this is my first OBD

i think your problem may be that you need an obd1 p75. trying to use an obd2 ecu with an obd1 engine will produce unhappy results. all electronics on the car need to be the same obd#. if you mismatch you'll run into problems
Old 06-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 civic will not start have checked pretty much everything in the book but this is my first OBD

the senors from OBD1-2 produce the same signals just some of the clips have to be repinned is all.

not have the CPS or FIA(again i dont remeber the proper name for it) plugged in may cause an issue im thinking it might be fuel pressure at this point but not sure just looking for any other ideas at this point

We are also going to try chipping a obd1 ecu and try it with a jumper harness but this car in the end needs to stay OBD2 for emissions