Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic EX Exedy clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic EX Exedy clutch issues

Sup guys. Just got done putting a fresh rebuilt head, 100k mile 5sp tranny, and new Exedy OEM replacement clutch in my civic. I have about 1k miles on it now. Ever since i first got it done, the clutch doesnt feel right. I know that the Exedy clutches are known to be a little softer than factory, but here are my symptoms. Instead of having a smooth transition when disengaging the clutch, it seems to be very touchy. Its like when you get to a certain point when letting off the clutch, it just fully releases. Also, when accelerating, the car "chuggs" a little bit. The best way i can describe it is it feels like if you were lightly pressing on the clutch and letting the clutch slip a little. It is not slipping, but that is what it feels like. I had my flywheel resurfaced and the guy said he had to take a little more out than he likes, but that it should be ok. Not sure if this would affect anything. And now i have a creek in my clutch pedal about 1/4 off the bottom. Sounds like the fork or release bearing not sliding smoothly on the input shaft. Hope im not too confusing. Anybody had these symptoms? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civic EX Exedy clutch issues

Wanted to add that it also has a bad vibration when letting out on the clutch at low speeds and when your downshifting. Would having a flywheel that was machined down too much cause any issues?