Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic coupe Front Windshield replacement - Expected price?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Civic coupe Front Windshield replacement - Expected price?

I need to change the front windshield because it has a crack in it, it is a 97 coupe.

What would be the cost associated with this repair. I know it wont be an exact number but an average estimate would be fine. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Front Windshield change - price?

My replacement here in CA cost 140 bucks.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tough to say if you dont live in the USA. good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe your windshield is covered by insurance. Give them a call.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

^ Not in the Yukon.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. Here all glass is covered by even the most basic coverage.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Yeah: Too many gravel roads, so they have a blanket exclusion! Pfft. It's probably like that in Alaska, too.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was asking because I want to buy a new civic for 1500-2000$ so I am looking through Kijiji and craigslist, I keep on finding cars with cracked windshields. Just looking and asking for fixes to problems since people on here are very knowledgeable.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

had mine replaced a few weeks ago, here in Al it was 180 on my 98 coupe
Old 11-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had to get my 97 hx replaced twice, the first time I let the insurance handle it and if it was fixable they cover it 100% but the winshield cracked about 3 inches out so I had to get it replaced and they knocked off $50 so I still had to pay $200. The second time I went in I have a different insurer now and I ended up just paying it, the winshield was like $248 and I have the same deductible so it was pretty much pointless to get them involved. If you shop around I know you can get it done cheaper, that was binswanger that did mine both times and it only takes the dude 15-20 min. to swap it out.

the lady told me it took them longer than 20 min. but I was standing right there with the guy that did the first one, maybe for the adhesive to setup before you can drive it but they told me the second time I had it done that I could go ahead and drive it home.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy it used from a local salvage yard and save some $$$$ for an OEM windshield! Go to your local hardware store and buy 3m black window adhesive. Just youtube "windshield replacement" and do a little research search then you're golden! Install it yourself and save money! just my .02.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As other have said, it depends on the state you live in. It also depends on the manufacturer of the glass and the quality of glass being installed. Some glass companies make junk glass that has distortions and waves so make sure you are getting glass made my a reputable manufacturer. I once bought a GSR that had a replacement windshield that looked like a magnifying glass because it was bowed pretty well (made by a company called Pikering I think). You can call major companies in your area like SafeLite and ask for an estimate for a 1997 Honda Civic coupe. They will give you the exact cost. Be sure to ask who the glass manufacturer is and research to see if they make quality glass.

Keep in mind, they may recommend the window molding to be replaced as the rubber will get old over time and may not install on your new glass well. I suggest that you ask for OEM Honda molding. There is an extra cost for this as they will try to sell you aftermarket molding. To save some money, you can shop online to see if you can get the molding from an online dealer (HondaPartsUnlimted.com, Majestic Honda, etc) and what the cost will be shipped to your door. Then give the glass companies a call and see what they quote you for the Honda molding. If they are charging you more than what you can buy online (which probably is the case) you can ask that they just replace the glass and tell them you would be supplying the molding.

Also, do realize that the front and rear windshield actually help to support your roof and helps to keep the upper part of your chassis from bending when you hit bumps. The front windshield also helps in the event of an accident as the passenger airbag may use the windshield for support. It also keeps passengers from flying out of the car in an accident. It is VERY important that you have the new glass installed by a certified installer who knows to properly replace automotive glass and is using proper materials.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I had mine done this spring, in New Brunswick, not quite Quebec but close enough for a ball park price. It was supposed to be close to $300, then after they installed it they noticed there was a small scuff in the corner so I ended up getting it for $180. I'll do just about anything for work myself, and I mean anything, but I wont touch glass, its a major pain in the *** to remove an old windshield properly and get it prepped for the new one and then get it in there so it doesn't leak.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 Civic coupe Front Windshield replacement - Expected price?

b1u3_5i

3M makes two types of adhesive. One is caulk, the other is in ribbon roll (like you'd see on double stick adhesive tape). Do you recomment one or the other? What are the Pros and Cons to each?

Thanks in advance!