Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Honda Civic w/ broken Speedometer/Odometer/Gauge Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96 Honda Civic w/ broken Speedometer/Odometer/Gauge Lights

Hello,

I bought a used 96 civic. The guy I bought it from said it the body type was a 96 but the engine was a 95. This made no sense to me but I thought I would include this information in case it helps you guys respond.

When I bought the car it had a few minor problems. It runs great, but the speedometer doesn't work; when I start the car it just stays right at 19 mph even if I'm not moving. The odometer doesn't turn at all. Also, the gauge/dash lights don't work so at night I couldn't see my speed anyway and I can't see how much gas I have or my RPMs or anything (the gas gauge/tachometer work fine). The interesting thing is like 10 times in the past 6 months when I start the car both the speedometer and odometer work perfectly. This hasn't happened very often, and every time it happened both worked until I turned off the car but didn't work when I turned the car back on. Also every time that the randomly worked they both worked together, never one and not the other.

As a side note. The power locks also don't work but occasionally work (a little more often that the speedometer and odometer but still not very frequently and apparently unrelated to the times when the speedometer/odometer randomly work). I don't care about this near as much as the speedometer though. I already have two speeding tickets and I really have to fix this soon but I'm very poor and can't afford to waste money on unnecessary repair costs.

I'm very ignorant when it comes to cars so I would appreciate if you took that into consideration with your answer. I don't know anything about stuff under the hood besides checking the oil so please treat me like a dummy with your answers, because I am one!

Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 96 Honda Civic w/ broken Speedometer/Odometer/Gauge Lights

Speedometer/odometer problem:
Does the Check Engine Light (CEL) in the cluster turn on and then off after 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON((II)? Or does the CEL remain on steady while driving?

Gauge lights:
Check whether 7.5A dash fuse 30 is blown.

Locks:
LX, EX, Si? Coupe or sedan? Is the problem with all locks or just one door?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Speedometer/odometer problem:
Does the Check Engine Light (CEL) in the cluster turn on and then off after 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON((II)? Or does the CEL remain on steady while driving?

Gauge lights:
Check whether 7.5A dash fuse 30 is blown.

Locks:
LX, EX, Si? Coupe or sedan? Is the problem with all locks or just one door?
All the little lights like the CEL turn on when I start the car but then they immediately turn off. The SRS light stays on for a couple seconds inside the tachometer but then it turns off.

Locks: 4 door LX. All the locks don't work but maybe once or twice a month they will randomly work (all the locks will lock when I turn the key in the driver's side door).

I'm like 99% sure the fuse is not blown. I've never seen a blown fuse but the little metal thing is not broken like the picture of a broken fuse in my manual.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Judsin
All the little lights like the CEL turn on when I start the car but then they immediately turn off. The SRS light stays on for a couple seconds inside the tachometer but then it turns off.

Locks: 4 door LX. All the locks don't work but maybe once or twice a month they will randomly work (all the locks will lock when I turn the key in the driver's side door).

I'm like 99% sure the fuse is not blown. I've never seen a blown fuse but the little metal thing is not broken like the picture of a broken fuse in my manual.
The speedometer/odometer may be bad, but first check for a loose connector or bad wire at the rear of the cluster.

Is the lock problem only when using the lock switch on the inside of the driver's door? Do the doors always lock using the driver's lock **** switch?

Visual inspection will miss some blown fuses. Test for voltage at both top test tabs of installed fuse 30 - click the Fuses link in my signature.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the Vehicle Speed Sensor. VSS. Cheap as and easy to replace.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by drgtr
Can you give me more details on this? How do I check it? Where is it? etc...

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The speedometer/odometer may be bad, but first check for a loose connector or bad wire at the rear of the cluster.

Is the lock problem only when using the lock switch on the inside of the driver's door? Do the doors always lock using the driver's lock **** switch?

Visual inspection will miss some blown fuses. Test for voltage at both top test tabs of installed fuse 30 - click the Fuses link in my signature.

How do you check for a loose connector or bad wire at the rear of the cluster? Sorry can you be a little more descriptive and use layman's terms because I'm really a car noob and I'm scared of messing something up.

The locks usually don't work at all. They usually won't work from the switch on either side, or from using the key outside on the driver's door. However, every once in a while I will be manually locking the driver's door from outside the car using the key in the door and all the locks will lock. Like I'm planning to open each door and do it manually after I turn the key in the driver's door but then it randomly locks them all when I turn the key in the driver's door.

Strangely enough after checking the fuse but not doing anything else know my gauge lights are working. So scratch that off my problem list for now haha.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Woah. Don't just jump in and freak the guy out by automatically telling him it's the VSS. 1. Where is your backing in this assumption? 2. It's most certainly not cheap and is stupid to just replace and assume it'll work. Remember, he says the Speedometer and Tach both work well at the same times. The Tach has nothing to do with the VSS, therefore it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

How do you check for a loose connector or bad wire at the rear of the cluster? Sorry can you be a little more descriptive and use layman's terms because I'm really a car noob and I'm scared of messing something up.
Remove the two screws that hold the bezel in front of your cluster. Remove the screws that hold the cluster to the dash. Pull out and check to make sure all the connectors look good with no frays, and the connections are indeed pushed in as far as they should be.

Strangely enough after checking the fuse but not doing anything else know my gauge lights are working. So scratch that off my problem list for now haha.
I'm thinking you had a loose fuse.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Locks:
1) I think most LX models came with a keyless system built into the stock radio. Do you have a stock radio and a keyless remote? If so, does the remote work to lock and unlock the doors?
2) Check whether hood fuse 51 may also be loose or corroded. Likewise check whether the connector to the power door lock unit behind the driver's door panel is loose or corroded. Testing the driver's door lock switch and driver's door lock actuator may also be worthwhile.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when this occurs, does the lights dim slightly? i replaced the vss and now the speedometer doesn't move no more. fuel meter and heat meter still works
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Judsin
Hello,

I bought a used 96 civic. The guy I bought it from said it the body type was a 96 but the engine was a 95. This made no sense to me but I thought I would include this information in case it helps you guys respond.

When I bought the car it had a few minor problems. It runs great, but the speedometer doesn't work; when I start the car it just stays right at 19 mph even if I'm not moving. The odometer doesn't turn at all. Also, the gauge/dash lights don't work so at night I couldn't see my speed anyway and I can't see how much gas I have or my RPMs or anything (the gas gauge/tachometer work fine). The interesting thing is like 10 times in the past 6 months when I start the car both the speedometer and odometer work perfectly. This hasn't happened very often, and every time it happened both worked until I turned off the car but didn't work when I turned the car back on. Also every time that the randomly worked they both worked together, never one and not the other.

As a side note. The power locks also don't work but occasionally work (a little more often that the speedometer and odometer but still not very frequently and apparently unrelated to the times when the speedometer/odometer randomly work). I don't care about this near as much as the speedometer though. I already have two speeding tickets and I really have to fix this soon but I'm very poor and can't afford to waste money on unnecessary repair costs.

I'm very ignorant when it comes to cars so I would appreciate if you took that into consideration with your answer. I don't know anything about stuff under the hood besides checking the oil so please treat me like a dummy with your answers, because I am one!

Thanks in advance!
I have the same exact problem. 96 civic dx. temp and fuel work fine but speedometer and odometer work occasionally but usually stays at around 19 mph. you have any luck fixing yours?
Old 03-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Trial User

So I went to local autozone to see if they had a replacement vss I could buy. They wanted 130 and I would have to order it so I figured Id try online. It was very easy to find and take out. when I put it back it back in the speedometer and odometer started working again. I dont know how its going to last but the CEL is still on. Is there anyway I can reset it myself? thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

iight i have a question. My wipers dont work anymore. but the washer fluid still works...i've changed every fuse possible. i dont think the wiper motor went bad, but i could be wrong. does anyone have a solution or an idea as to wats wrong?

the wipers worked before, like a few months ago. but after a long time without an engine, they werent used. now i put a new motor in and the wipers refuse to work