Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 del sol/jdm b16 - Will Canadian p30 ecu give problems in my USDM car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 del sol/jdm b16 - Will Canadian p30 ecu give problems in my USDM car?

Does anyone know if a Canadian p30 ecu for the B16 would give problems in a US Civic or Del sol?

From the research I've done I've found that US cars have the ELD while the Canadian cars don't and that if you plug in an usdm p30 into a Canadian car you will get the ELD cell 20 because it's looking for the ELD, but I couldn't find out what would happen if you did vice versa, plug a Canadian p30 ecu into a US car. My best guess would be that since the Canadian ecu knows nothing about the ELD that the ecu would work fine without any cel's but that's just my best guess. Reason I'm asking is because there's a Canadian obd2 p30-c02 up on eBay right now for a lot cheaper than a US one would go for and I feel like pulling the trigger since I'm using a JDM ecu right now and could never find a US p30. So anybody plug in a Canadian p30 obd1 or obd2 into their car? And did the car run find with no check engine light afterwards?
Old 06-18-2015, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default re: 96 del sol/jdm b16 - Will Canadian p30 ecu give problems in my USDM car?

Let me google that for ya. link
Funny, that link provided by google links right back to this site. Odd, that.

In any case, you're new here, so welcome. As a side note, you will get told to visit and read the stickies for this forum very thoroughly by every member here that will bother to respond to you. Basic gist of it all....use the search function on the site, failing that...use google. If your google-fu comes to naught, THEN ask your question in a post (do NOT resurrect dead threads), and in doing so, remember to include ALL pertinent information of the vehicle you are referring to / working on / etc. such as YEAR,MODEL (hopefully you went ahead and chose the correct forum to begin with),TRIM (EX, SI, DX, LX...etc), followed up by any swaps,aftermarket modifications,custom fabrication,tuning system....aaaaaand pictures of your hot girlfriend in revealing poses (DO NOT DO THIS!, Just do everything before this.)

Taking these steps will help you avoid attitudes and responses that long time members have used literally hundreds or thousands of times...and will net you more helpful advice. Good luck.

Last edited by MisereNoire; 06-18-2015 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Semi-helpful rant
Old 06-18-2015, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: 96 del sol/jdm b16 - Will Canadian p30 ecu give problems in my USDM car?

I did read that link already, basically allot of speculation and opinions but nothing definitive there. You'll need a new alternator probably, and I don't think it would pass a bar. I was just asking a question hoping that someone might help me find the answer, has anyone tried using a Canadian obd1 p30 ecu in there 92-95 b16 del sol or a obd2 ecu in a obd2 Del sol and if so was there any problems after like not running right or giving codes or did you need a Canadian alternator or were you good to go? My car is a 96 del sol with a jdm b16 and was thinking about replacing my jdm ecu with a Canadian p30.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Here is one detail that will pose a problem.

CDM cars do not have an ELD circuit, USDM cars do.

That will be the area you should research. I'm not sure if the ELD unit will play nice with a CDM ECU.

And I think putting a USDM ECU in a CDM car the CEL comes on for a faulty ELD unit.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I've been googling this possible eld issue but couldn't find much info on what happens if you plug a Canadian ecu into a US car. I did read that if you plug in a USDM ecu into a Canadian car you get the eld cell. I'm starting to think it wouldn't work just by how cheap you can get a Canadian p30 for so I'm guessing there has to be an issue since usdm p30's go for over $300 and Canadian p30's go for a fraction of that. I guess the only way to find out is by trying so I think I might go ahead and order that ecu and take the risk. I'm sure someone has tried a Canadian ecu before even if it was a p06 or p28. I still have wishful thinking that since there's no eld hardware in the Canadian ecu it would just run perfect but I'm definitely going to do more research on this eld subject because I don't know much about it. Another thing I was thinking about was maybe adding the eld hardware to the Canadian ecu from maybe a cheaper ecu or even a garbage one by soldering it on, but again I'm not a professional at that stuff just think there might be away. If anyone knows more about these Canadian ecu's please chime in.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 96 del sol/jdm b16 - Will Canadian p30 ecu give problems in my USDM car?

You can bypass the ELD, there are write ups, and then use the cdm ecu.