Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96 Civic EX - Puttering with no power until higher RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Civic EX - Puttering with no power until higher RPM's

I'm new to Honda-Tech, but not new to Hondas.

My 96 Civic Ex, D16Y8, 5spd..ended up with BAD gas last yr and started sputtering almost immediately. As soon as i could (within a wk), i got busy on a full tune-up. What came out of my fuel filter and lines PISSED ME OFF!! I collected what came out in a glass jar, when it settled, i had an inch and a half of junked up water with an inch of fuel on top.

Now, i LOVE my Honda, so i went into "Flush and Pamper" mode. Every 2000mi i replaced fuel filter, cleaned plugs, changed oil and filter, cleaned sensors and wiring (I do a lot of dirt-roading), cleaned throttle body, checked fuses, and gave everything else a once-over.

The sputter would be better for a while, then return. After 6mos or so, the sputter became a major cough. I put in a bigger air intake hoping she'd breathe better. The cough became a stall. In low rpm (1800-2200), if i tried to accel it would choke, loose all power, and rpm would just bounce from 500 to 1500 or so. If i could get enough fuel to her to get through it, she'd run fine again. That is until i needed to shift and rpms dropped close to 2000. The choking would resume.

It only got worse with time. Anytime i would hit the clutch, the rpm would drop right past the idle point and she would just choke out and stall. I knew that i had reached the limit of my knowledge and had her towed to my "Honda Guy". I trust him for all the big stuff i'm too chicken to do w/o someone around to show me how (ya know, bein a chic and all).. After 2wks with her mechanic (30+yrs of pure Honda/Asian auto know-how), he got her running better but with an occasional sputter that reminds me of how she started this whole mess last year.

WHAT I KNOW ITS NOT: ignition coils, injectors, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, distributor, compression, sensors, ecm, cat, fuel pump, fuel pressure....

I am BEGGING for any input. I've tried everything i know and her "Honda Guy" just added a huge question mark to the problem.

I realize this is EXTREMELY LONG-WINDED! I wanted to get all the info i could to anyone who may know anything about what this could possibly be. With 305,000+ miles and 9yrs together, i dont wanna lose my Honda to a SPUTTER... Help a Honda Chic out...(and thanks for your patience readin all that

Last edited by Former User; 10-14-2016 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Wall of text broken up
Old 10-14-2016, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 96 Civic EX - Puttering with no power until higher RPM's

Post all CEL codes that are thrown.

How much did you pay Honda Guy to fix the problem that still persists?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

She throws NO CODES except my SRS. Wires in the steering column got sheered off during my rack and pinion adventur How can a car w/ that many miles sputter and stall out on the way to the parts store for a code read, and not throw any codes but airbags? Honda Guy charged me $280 and i was w/o wheels for 2 weeks. He did some small things I couldnt do in my garage... Aggravating huh?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tunehound
She throws NO CODES except my SRS. Wires in the steering column got sheered off during my rack and pinion adventur How can a car w/ that many miles sputter and stall out on the way to the parts store for a code read, and not throw any codes but airbags? Honda Guy charged me $280 and i was w/o wheels for 2 weeks. He did some small things I couldnt do in my garage... Aggravating huh?
So what exactly did Honda Guy tell you he did for $280?
Old 10-14-2016, 11:43 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ
So what exactly did Honda Guy tell you he did for $280?
Ditto that??? 94
Old 10-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda Guy checked ignition coils, injectors, and compression. Also re-checked the sensors for fuel system and emissions control to make sure i didnt miss something. Replaced valve cover gasket and put in beefy plugs (what i was running were ****). Replaced a wire that got cut runnin to the big harness mounted next to distributor and put in a new dist rotor..... This car has impressed me beyond measure over the years. She's made me a HondaHead and I wanna repay her for it. Honda-Tech seems like my best hope for knowledge/guidance....cause if I hear "Get a new car" one more time I'm gonna scream... I know yall can help me kick this ****..
Old 10-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced valve cover gasket and put in beefy plugs (what i was running were ****). Replaced a wire that got cut runnin to the big harness mounted next to distributor and put in a new dist rotor.....
$280 for this^ seems like a rip off especially considering that the car is not fixed. Did you bring the car back to him to complain?

How can you be so confident that items he "checked" were properly diagnosed as good? I'd be highly skeptical.

Post pics of the wire fix. What "beefy" plugs were installed?

Last edited by Former User; 10-15-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, first off my phone wont let me load pic here, so I'll add pics of wire repair to my album if I cant shift it around to get here, sorry. Second, I completely agree that I am probably gettin the crap-end of service options. I don't know if a chic thing or if I just can't find a good, trust-worthy mechanic. This kinda stuff is half the reason I wanted to learn about what makes my Honda function and what I gotta do/know/learn to keep her that way. I absolutely believe this is an issue I can fix..but..between a Chilton book and lack of knowledge from fellow HondaHeads, I had no other options. Oh, and NGK plugs I dig that! Shes got the get up and go, until it seems shes chokin on fuel, like shes gettin more than she can burn..
Old 10-15-2016, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ask the mechanic why he did not fix the problem for $280. If there's no reasonable explanation, request a refund. In general, mechanics treat women like idiots. Don't stand for it.

Are the fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor, and plug wires new?

Are the NGK plugs properly gapped?

Has the ignition timing been properly adjusted with a timing gun?

If those are all fine, have you compression tested the cylinders?
Old 10-15-2016, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did my best to stay on him bout progress, took him 2 days to even get her started (i should add here, that i know this car as good as a person can, her quirks and such..she doesnt like strangers messin w/ her..YES, SHE IS A TOTAL FEMALE but i'm ok w/ that. If u take care of her, she'll take care of u..**** her off, u aint goin nowhere..) I called every other day to ask what he was doin, what he found out. I sent a list of all the things I wanted done/tested/double-checked/replaced. I went through the whole fuel system, emissions controls and elec I could do here in my garage, but some things I just dont have the equipment or knowledge to do myself. Sadly..he coulda just put a valve cover gasket on, fixed a wire, cleaned her up and let her sit there for a wk and a half. The Chilton book has helped, but some stuff ya just gotta learn from others. Fuel filter is 1500mi, distributor rotor is new, the caps goin on 5yrs old, plugs wires bout the same. He said he checked injectors, compression, and timing but again, how do I really know if i dont have the capability to check his work? And if I could I wouldnt go to him in the first place. Hense my aggravation... What could I do to show him up ya think?
Old 10-15-2016, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can do some work yourself, download the 96-00 Civic factor Helms service manual and set the Chliton's aside.

Request the cylinder compression numbers (PSI) from the mechanic, and ask him how he adjusted the ignition timing and to what crank pulley mark. If you don't get satisfactory answers, request a refund. If he rejects your request and also refuses to fix the problem, have him served for a small claims court trial. Judges are very receptive to customers who get ripped off by bad mechanics. If you are unable to verify his work, then you are placed in the position of assuming the work was not done or was done incorrectly.

You should replace the cap and plug wires. Buy Honda plug wires.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I surely can the only thing in 3 yrs I couldnt was the new clutch (not countin this damn sputter cause ol' dude didnt fix it either). He opens back up Mon, I'll call for sure. I'll get the Helms download. Paydays Wed, so I'll get wires goin..and get my head in the Helms info. I will let ya know what comes about. I really appreciate your time and thoughts for a fellow HondaHead, chic or not
Old 10-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Please also carefully browse the FAQs sticky. Lots of great info there.

If the compression numbers are good, your problem will likely be fixed by a full ignition system tune up followed by setting the ignition timing with a timing gun (see manual or FAQs sticky).

I hope you are buying gas from a new gas station now.

Honda plug wires may be cheaper purchased online.

You can also pull the SRS codes by jumping the service connector to find out what's wrong with the airbag system.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will study like crazy grateful for anothers direction, i'll use it wisely.. And I never go back to that station, or even the company. Run nothin but high oct from a place I trust. Good fuel and plenty of it, never leave home w/o it Jumpin for codes is somethin i havent tried, since CEL hasnt gone off, but shes a female so maybe a different approach would be different. I'll do it man, thanks a ton
Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The stock D16Y8 does not require high octane fuel, and it will have no benefits. 87 is best.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...tions-1998336/

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...lists-1901557/
Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well damn, i figured she'd want more fire w/ all the miles, but knowin that makes me wonder if thats addin to her not burnin it right.. Hmm.. Would the cold-air intake affect what she needed as far as oct? Or does the ECM adjust air /fuel for somethin like that? I'll study stickys and the links.. Sorry I keep askin so many questions U got me curious, wonderin, interested and thinkin processes.. Happy Honda Chic
Old 10-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well damn, i figured she'd want more fire w/ all the miles, but knowin that makes me wonder if thats addin to her not burnin it right.. Hmm.. Would the cold-air intake affect what she needed as far as oct? Or does the ECM adjust air /fuel for somethin like that? I'll study stickys and the links.. Sorry I keep askin so many questions U got me curious, wonderin, interested and thinkin processes.. Happy Honda Chic
87 is fine for your engine, but the higher octane is probably not causing the problem. You're just throwing away money unnecessarily.

Also, the engine will generally run fine if it gets "too much" fuel (rich). The problem you describe is a better fit for a lean, misfire, or out of time condition.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll save the extra cash for parts then and get to studyin (stuff besides Chilton). Your awesome...