Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

96-98 Double Din - Odd place, includes a pic..

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96-98 Double Din - Odd place, includes a pic..

How hard wud this be to do???

We here in the UKDM werent blessed with a double din headunit slot in any 96-00 civic's you see
Old 05-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 96-98 Double Din - Odd place, includes a pic.. (murray_mint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murray_mint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How hard wud this be to do???

We here in the UKDM werent blessed with a double din headunit slot in any 96-00 civic's you see </TD></TR></TABLE>

i saw this pic the other day too...i'd like to know...

on a side note...i've done the 96-98 cup holder conversion on my 99 coupe and relocated the stereo onto the 96-98 din down below. Out come wasn't too good, it looked clean with the block off plate but it was really a drag reaching to change cds, songs, and radio stations especially...just relocated the stereo back to its stock place and kept the 96-98 cup holders. (holds drinks 10x better now)
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 AM

u seen this pic? i took this pic when i picked up me import few weeks ago lol.

yeah i have the cups in my 99 coupe and have a single din down below and some block off plate up top.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that doesnt even look real...looks like a bad photoshop edit...

Even still, you would just be making a double din box, and cutting the console to get it to fit.
Thats all anyone can say, for how-to-do-it...whether youre good at that kind of stuff, is up to you. It would be a bit of measuring...

Thing is, you have to remove your cupholders and either:
A) find a type r lower tray, so its flat
B) make your own panel

Its probably 10x too much work
Old 05-17-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: 96-98 Double Din - Odd place, includes a pic.. (murray_mint)

the biggest problem you will run into if you are going to do it right can be solved with a dremel some light metal strap and a little bit of fiberglass and vinyl the best way to do it is pull the whole center control cluster out since the heater control should be cable operated and not linkage you can reposition the heater control unit and put the deck in the middle to make it easier to see the screen otherwise you will be leaning over to see what the screen says on most decks make new mounting frames out of metal strap and then angle the whole set a little toward the driver then take the old dash facia and use it for the frame of your new fiberglass setup use your trusty dremel tool to cut out the middle areas and keep all of the stock mounts a little bit of heat stretch vinyl and you will have a center console that makes your crazy stereo friends and tuners drool
Old 05-17-2007, 05:58 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He has the CTR pop-out cupholders (the ones with the pop-out tray instead of the buckets:

Take out the tray, dremmel the pocket, and wedge that bitch in there .... it's ghetto, but it's honesty what that guy probably did.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

The 99-00 civic cup holders have larger openings. Looks like he may have trimmed the top off to make it fit.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:56 PM

for the dude who said its a photoshop lmfao. its not man i took the photo in liverpool docks around 3 weeks ago. It was a turbo'd 98 CW EK9 so dunno where that came from lol.

Yeah i have the JDM 99-00 Cupholder like that so think im gonna give this a go see how it turns out.

thanks for the input
Old 05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (murray_mint)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murray_mint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for the dude who said its a photoshop lmfao. its not man i took the photo in liverpool docks around 3 weeks ago. It was a turbo'd 98 CW EK9 so dunno where that came from lol.

Yeah i have the JDM 99-00 Cupholder like that so think im gonna give this a go see how it turns out.

thanks for the input</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said before, chances are he just took the tray out of his CTR cupholders and dremeled the surrounding plastics. Good luck to you in your ventures though.