Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 EX Coupe Build - Advice welcomed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 EX Coupe Build - Advice welcomed.

ok so I am new in this jdm scene. I used to be a VW guy, go ahead, talk all the **** you want, not by choice but because my uncles and used to own them and that's the cars I learned on. I switched to JDM because it is way cheaper to build and work on Hondas than vw's. So this is my situation, please bare with me and keep your insults to yourself, I am a noob.

I picked up a 95 ex coupe last December. the car is a solid 7/10. paint is faded, interior is dirty and missing parts, it has dents and bruises everywhere but the engine is healthy and running pretty good, no leaks, no check engine light, the only gear that grinds a bit is reverse and the clutch has a weird squeak to it. since the engine is pretty healthy, I wanted to start my build fixing cosmetic issues first so I'm sending it off to paint in 2 weeks to get a fresh coat of its OEM white color and get those bumps and bruises fixed. After I get the paint situation taken care of I wanted to start with the suspension. I want to get some D2 coils. Hopefully I am not making a mistake with going with that brand it was either that or HKS's. One thing I want to throw out there is that I want to build my car with the best parts I can get on it regardless of price, I want to build it once and build it right and I know from experience you have to spend $ to play this game. However, I have no clue on the other suspension components that will fit well with my D2 setup (first part of advice from the fellow members of this awesome forum).

The interior and everything else is coming gradually and I have been working on tracking down parts for what I need.

The most important question comes in the form of what engine I should get to make my car go fast. I want to make it as fast as possible without having to boost it. After reading some mags (which was a bad idea according to some people in here) i thought the best engine for the most power was the k24a2. after having it built its recognized as being a beast. However I have stumbled on some threads of how b series and h series engines can blow the ks out of the water. Like i said im new and in need of an education. I am not going to start buying engine parts yet but i want to have an idea of how much i will need or at least ballpark and with what engine to go with. I will start my build thread as soon as i start to disassemble for paint and you guys can comment as my build goes along. Thanks again and please be gentle, its my first time.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 95 EX Coupe Build - Advice welcomed.

i would REALLY advise against d2 anything. if you're not going full body coilover, one of the best setups would be koni yellows/ ground control sleeves. i dont like sleeves, and have personally run yellows and h&r race springs, an excellent combo as well.

a lot of guys swing from the nuts of the k series engine. theyre still very expensive swaps, especially because they require special ecu's, axles, mounts, etc. the motors themselves are very good, however the transmissions have been known to be weak. the best bang you'll find for your buck on just a swap for swap basis is still a b18c. 200+hp, lsd transmission, excellent gearing. you will not need anything costly to swap it in, and there is a TON of aftermarket support for it. the b trans is a fairly stout transmission, especially in comparison to the k.

when it comes to swaps, parts, anything really you will get about 100000 different opinions on this forum. do your homework, make up your mind based on that first. to help point you to a place to get an idea of what these different motors/etc go for, check out http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/honda-acura.html
Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

i should add that k/h swaps will require modifications to your chassis, the b is a direct bolt in.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, this will sound stupid but what do you mean by full body?

I did do my homework, started buying mags and making friends on forums like this one well at least the few members that cared to give advice and answer my questions and I started to make a list of the best parts I can put on my car, like I said I know this will cost money and I want to have the best on my car.

I have a friend that has a k20 swap on his 95 dx, according to him since he has been at this way longer than me, the k swaps are the most powerful and reliable out there. I really don't care which one it is. You are right, there are millions of different opinions out there and im hoping to reach someone that has actually done a swap or knows a lot about it. im just looking to go fast and not break down all the time, oh and be carb legal if possible.

Konis is the only brand of coils ive worked with since they are popular with the vw's. I was under the impression HKS's are one of the best for Hondas.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Personally, I have had/done H,B, dohc ZC, and just about every single cam under the sun. My friend runs a k20. Don't get me wrong, it is fast, but costs MUCH more than a B series swap, for negligible gains stock for stock. Read into the k series transmission issues as well. The transmissions are NOT cheap to replace/rebuild. Honda reliability is Honda reliability, stock engines will all pretty much be reliable. H motors tend to be oil burners and have plenty of quirks, but most are solid choices.

As far as your suspension question, this article will answer it in depth: http://www.superstreetonline.com/tec...oilover_works/ I am not sure where the HKS thing came from, but there are many soild choices for a Civic. Your intentions for the car are what should determine what you buy/ how much you spend. For the majority of owners, the Koni Yellow/Ground Control sleeve setup is about as good as it gets for the money. Check this out also http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1683
Old 03-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks, read the thread and looked into getting some AMR coils instead, thanks for helping me dodge a bullet with the d2's. need to save about 350$ for that setup. My car should be going to paint in a couple of weeks and hopefully in a month or so I have enough for the coils, will post pics as soon as I can. thanks again for the advice and help and I hope you wont get bothered when I pm you about more engine questions.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

nope, couldnt care less. good luck with the build.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Build threads require pictures. Start a new thread when you are ready to document the build process.