Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 eg sedan no fuel pump or injectors main relay and ecu are known good parts help pl

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 eg sedan no fuel pump or injectors main relay and ecu are known good parts help pl

Ok so ive been trying to fix this problem for two weeks ill give some backround info, i have a 95 eg sedan with a mini me, car has ran perfectly fine for almost 2 years until this, was driving to work one day and my car just shut off on the highway. I got out and started looking in the engine bay i tried to remote start my car to no avail it just kept cranking, so i started to just randomly tug on the harness near the area of the thermostat ground and close to where the connections are for the ecu you know those three big plugs near the battery. So i moved the harness a certain way and i heard the injectors prime and the car turned on with my remote starter. I drove home and shut it off, i tried going outside to go somewhere and nothing. The car just cranks i`ve taken the entire engine harness apart cant find a bad wire I've cleaned the thermostat ground swapped in and out known good relay and ecu ive tried mine in my dads del sol so i know they work. The only thing i can think of is that the ecus wiring is somehow bad, i know that now my car is showing me a solid CEL but i keep trying them in the del sol and they work. Im not to good with electrical diagnosis like ohms and continuity and all that so im really lost. The fuel pump works if i run a wire to bypass the relay but the injectors still arent grounding and getting pulsed to turn on. Im just really lost and dont know what else to do any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 eg sedan no fuel pump or injectors main relay and ecu are known good parts hel

Any one have any ideas........ a lot of people lookin but no one with even a suggestion its my DD and my other car got totalled last monday so im really in a pinch
Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 95 eg sedan no fuel pump or injectors main relay and ecu are known good parts hel

Do you have a multimeter?
Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i do but as far as knowing whats right and wrong with the readings i need some help with how to use it and read it i mean i know the settings of it just not what to really look for and ron to be honest i was hoping you would be the one to reply i just hope you can help me too like ive seen you do before
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post pictures of your multimeter.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the quality but i know the settings i just dont know what the readings should look like or where to connect the probes while testing I've never been good with electrical issues the sad part is ive been a honda mechanic for five years lol oh the irony
Old 08-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's good. Is the battery in the meter good?

If so, plug the black wire probe into the middle black hole and the red wire probe into the red hole on the right.

Then locate the main relay under your dash on the driver's left side.

Unplug the main relay, and I'll tell you how to do some simple voltage and continuity tests on the plug.

Post again when you are ready.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea the meter is brand new i bought it last night but if you repost stuff to do and check for ill def do it either now or when i get home from work depending on how quick you respond and once again thank you ron for the help
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Start here. Unplug the main relay. Turn the key to the ON(II) position.

1) Check whether terminal 1 in the main relay connector reads battery voltage.

How to do voltage test ---> Turn the meter dial to the DC voltage position (white dot to right of OFF position). Touch the red meter probe to terminal 1 (Yel/Wht wire) and the black meter probe to the metal frame under the dash.

2) Do the same test for terminal 5 (Blk/Yel wire).

3) Under the hood, unplug the wire to the starter solenoid. Return to the cabin and do the same voltage test at terminal 6 (Blu/Wht wire) while you hold the key in the ON(III)/START position.

Post the three voltage readings.
Attached Images   
Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now for the starter wire are you talking about the power wire that connects from the under hood fuse box to the starter or the little thin black grounding wire i only ask now because i have to go to work but will be home around 1230 am est so ill check then and let you know
Old 08-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18CivicHatch
Now for the starter wire are you talking about the power wire that connects from the under hood fuse box to the starter or the little thin black grounding wire i only ask now because i have to go to work but will be home around 1230 am est so ill check then and let you know
Either starter wire is fine, but it's easier to disconnect the small starter wire to the solenoid. You just don't want the starter cranking when you do the voltage test.

Am I correct in assuming that at this point, the engine won't start? I ask because any of my suggested electrical tests are useless/pointless when the engine is starting and running.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea the engine only cranks its not getting fuel with key ON and the pump and injectors arent working at all they did when i messed with the harness the day it stalled on the highway but nothing ever since it has a steady CEL while jumping the connector but i know all three computers i have and both relays are good they checked out fine on my dads del sol so im going to try these tests when i get home from work later tonight and let you know what i find
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All three readings are 11.95 during all tests
Old 08-12-2013, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Good.

Now test whether the black wire at pin 2 has continuity to body ground.

Dial the multimeter to the lower right position with the sound icon (continuity). When you touch the two meter probes together, the meter should make a sound. If so, touch one meter probe to pin 2 and the other meter probe to the metal frame under the dash. Does the meter sound?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the key have to be in the ON position?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the key have to be in the ON position?
Key must be off for this test.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nvm either way it has continuity im getting a beep
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nvm either way it has continuity im getting a beep
All good so far.

Now plug the main relay back into its connector and unplug ECU connector A.

http://www.phearable.net/tech/wiring...schematics.gif

Turn key to ON(II).

Use a piece of wire or paper clip to ground pin A7 (Grn/Yel wire) to the metal frame under the dash. Does the fuel pump run? Do the same test for pin A8 if a Grn/Yel wire pins there too.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which is the A connector the largest one?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which is the A connector the largest one?
Yes. Click the link I posted.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry didnt see that earlier but the fuel pump does run when i do that
Old 08-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Good.

Moving right along.

Now also unplug ECU connector B.

Set the multimeter to read DC voltage as before.

Turn key to ON(II).

Measure voltage to body ground at pin A25 and B1 (Yel/Blk wires), as before. Do you measure battery voltage?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it matter what probe goes where
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it matter what probe goes where
Red probe to ECU connector pin, black probe to metal frame under dash.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im getting 11.85 at both plugs

Quick Reply: 95 eg sedan no fuel pump or injectors main relay and ecu are known good parts help pl