Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic won't fully fill up. Filler neck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic won't fully fill up. Filler neck?

1995 Honda Civic 4dr Sedan DX

When I try to fill the tank from "E" I can't get more than 6-7 gallons before the pump cuts off. My fuel gauges reads the tank only being 3/4 full. I don't want to pump more gas in case the tank is full and I get gas pouring out the top.

The other reason I don't want to pump more gas... I think my fuel sending unit in the tank is faulty. So the tank might be full.

The gauge reads like I'm heavy on a V6. It also reads up or down from where I left it every time I get in the car. Example: I go to the store, shop for an hour, come back and it reads lower than when I parked it. I go home, wake up the next day, and its back up.

I've changed the gauge cluster from the stock DX to an EX for the rpm gauge and both gauges are acting the same. So I'm pretty sure it's the fuel sending unit in the tank. I'm replacing this when I have extra funds.

But back to the filler neck question. I assume that a mechanism in the filler neck reads the tank full and shuts off the pump. What I don't know is how exactly this works. Someone told me the mechanism might be stuck or something. Do any of you know how it works and if it could be fix. I would rather save money and fix it if I can. If not I'll have to buy a filler neck.

My funds are going to more important things right now, but its annoying not knowing how much fuel I have in the tank and when I need to fill up. I work 40 mins from my house and the civic should last me 2 weeks before filling up. I have to pump gas every week because of this.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic won't fully fill up. Filler neck?

Hey bud... I can't contribute to the filler neck theory, but here are several factors that might help you troubleshoot the issue...

92-95 Civic CX came with a 9.9 gallon tank.
I believe yours came with a 10.4 or 10.9 gallon unit.

Spectra makes a 11.5 gallon tank upgrade for our cars. I wanted to be able to pump gas less frequently like you, so I bought one from AdvanceAuto, shipped to my door for under $100 using one of their excellent online coupons.

Regarding the fuel gauge needle: turn left, it goes up. Turn right, it goes down.
It's a known quirk with our cars, I don't think your in-tank unit is bad.

Furthermore: when are you filling your tank? What's your definition of "E"?
I ask because I've noticed my Hatch holds between 1-2 gallons of gas in the tank when the needle is just touching the bottom line (empty). This means that if you're putting gas when the needle just reaches the bottom and manage to pump 7 gallons, looks like it's working as expected, given that there are likely a couple of gallons still sitting in the tank.

Lastly: have you noticed this behaviour @ different pumps, or at the same pump?
Some gas stations (even different stations of the same brand) have their pumps calibrated differently, and will shut off at different fill levels.

One way to become familiar with your fuel gauge needle: Carry a gallon of gas in a container and drive until the car dies.
You might be surprised how much lower the needle travels after the lower line.

Good luck, and report back.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the charcoal canister, n see if it's full of gas. The fuel filler pumps work on pressure. If the fuel system is pressurized the pump will stop dispensing gas.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry I haven't keeping up on this. My brother drives the car so it's not too important to me. I still want it fixed though.

My definition of "E" is right on the line or just touching it.

So even when I fill it up all the way, assuming the pump is turning off when the tank is full. The gauge only reads 3/4 full?

I will check the charcoal canister. Just unplug the entire thing and shake it around? Dump the fuel if there is any.

Pressure seems to be fine. When filling up, then running down to "E", and opening the gas cap there is a lot of pressure release. Just like how it's suppose to.

I've tried different pumps from all over. I'm usually out and about and pump where ever. Even at my local gas station I don't stick to just one. Which ever one has less cars in it. There's a gas station at every corner.

I guess I can try to over fill it and see how high the gauge goes. And also try to run it dry and carry a gas can with me.

So far my brother has just used the trip meter to get around 200-230 miles before having to pump gas again.

Is there a way to reset the fuel gauge needle? Does it go out of whack?