Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic underdash wiring, need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic underdash wiring, need help asap

So today I was driving and all of a sudden the wiring under the pass side of the dash started to smoke, I pulled over right away poped the hook and unhooked the negitive battery cable. I pulled the carpet back to see wires just melting away and smoking. So after being mad for a few min's I thought ok I still have my car. The car is a 95' civic dx with a d15b mini me swap. I need to figure out what this wiring is and does, I'm not driving the car till then. Can I just get a new section of wiring this stuff is pretty well toast. here is some pictures of where it is can any one tell me what it does and if its pretty easy to get a new section plug to plug, and where it plugs in to on the other side? Its on the pass side under the glove box and goes up and looks like it connects to the heater blower after that I'm lost. It is on the far right side and comes in from the motor bay.
thanks alot
Attached Images      
Old 03-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 civic underdash wiring, need help asap

I found this : http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=WIRE+HARNESS

number 1 on that. Please dear god tell me it's not that. It should unplug from some where else shouldnt it or is it all wired in together with everything?
thanks,
Wil
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4gen5thtime
its not that part. but thank you.
My bad.

Last edited by BryanM.; 03-31-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not that part. but thank you. Its the other part that goes up in to the motor bay. it sucks. I found out why it shorted though. There was exposed wires that were not taped up or caped off or anything.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So to say, it goes up in to the motor bay, does any one know what harness this leads in to or goes to? I'm going to pull the dash tommrrow and start taking out wiring i'd just like to know where it leads to make it a lil easyier.
thanks,
Wil
Old 04-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, any one?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I could try to help ... but I need to know what the colour of the wires are that go in to those connectors. Like that 2-pin one -- is that BLU/YEL or BLU/WHT?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Double reply:

Looks like that is C402 (2-pin) and C403 (10-pin). They both connect to heater subharness A, C721 and C722 respectively. Which side is fried ... to the heater or to the inside of the motor bay? And where is it fried? Fixing this electrical prob seems pretty straight forward - replace the fried wires -- but I might be wrong!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unfortunately you will need to replace the whole Cabin/Dash harness which is 1 whole harness It starts from the pass side engine bay then goes through the firewall of the pass side to the driver side which is where it will disconnect from 2 plugs (grey and brown). I was just like you, wondering if it was a short harness that could be detached from another harness. Not that easy! And its the harness #1 at Honda, which is over $700, I got mines at the local Jyard for $12 lol. You will need to remove the dash, and ac and heater core and cut up the rubber mat to gain access to the harness. Its a headache and a long process,but its pretty easy. You will see what needs to be removed once you pull the dash out.

I personally changed this myself, just 2 weeks ago. My car died out of no where, and triggered 3 CEL codes which seem weird. Then after trying to crank it so many times, my ECU started smoking. So I thought it was the Cabin harness, so I replaced that. Come to find out it was my engine harness where the IAT plug was it was hacked and wasnt tapped up good, and it was grounding each other. Which lead to other problems!!!

I posted a few help threads here but no luck with any response. Had to go in there and hunt it down and replace it myself. It was also my first attempt at replacing it. Aslong as you have some wrenching knowledge you should be fine.

Hope that helps!

Good Luck
Old 04-02-2009, 01:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well thats good and bad. I was figuring as much for the hole harness but, hoping for somthing simple which never happens with honda's. Ahhh.... I wish I would have looked over wiring the 1st night I had the car. Oh well live and learn and I should have known with a swaped car. Well thanks for the help. Off to the j/y this weekend to find the wiring.
thanks,
Wil