Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic lx - Lateral arms?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic lx - Lateral arms?

So my car cant be aligned properly untill i get (what the guy said) are adjustable lateral control arms? Then he also called them trailing arms? (said mine were maxed out) Can some one please tell me what they are? are these adjustable toe arms and their just using a different name? I have already installed adjustable upper control arms in the rear and front. Lower control arms in the rear and had oem rear trailing arm bushings pressed in. Car is lowered too. Would really appreciate some input on this one guys.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: 95 civic lx - Lateral arms?

he's probably referencing these: Eibach® - Honda Civic 2 Door / 4 Door 1993-1995 Pro-Alignment Rear Kit
Old 05-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have the print out of the alignment specs? Post it.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-13-2016, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-14-2016, 10:02 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: 95 civic lx - Lateral arms?

What I was reading recently, the rear trailing arms need to be longer than OEM trailing arms on heavily lowered cars.

The upper arms you have is to add camber control but still doesn't fix caster or toe problems from heavy lowering.

The adjustable toe arm may help with the toe challenges.

I can't say I understand why the material I was reading spoke about longer trailing arms on the civics to fix alignment issues as either I haven't gotten that far into the reading or they don't elaborate. Just throwing it out there.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DryFartWetDog
I have already installed adjustable upper control arms in the rear and front. Lower control arms in the rear and had oem rear trailing arm bushings pressed in. Car is lowered too. Would really appreciate some input on this one guys.
So its the front lower control arm that needs replacing? Been in a wreck lately? Make sure you check out the subframe as well.

You're not running extreme amounts of camber, I dont get why they couldnt 0 out your rear toe. I think what he meant to say is he cant properly adjust your CASTER because you have a bad FRONT lower control arm. But i'd take my car somewhere else. You don't need adjustable ones, just replace them for OEM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No wrecks, the guys say everything in the front is good the problem is in the rear. Im new to this honda stuff so im having trouble of course.

Originally Posted by White_EG1
So its the front lower control arm that needs replacing? Been in a wreck lately? Make sure you check out the subframe as well.

You're not running extreme amounts of camber, I dont get why they couldnt 0 out your rear toe. I think what he meant to say is he cant properly adjust your CASTER because you have a bad FRONT lower control arm. But i'd take my car somewhere else. You don't need adjustable ones, just replace them for OEM.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The guy did mention trailing arms and said the problem was the oem part is maxed out. I dont understand how a trailing arm is involved with alignments but then again im new to this and dont have a wealth of knowledge. Im going to go ahead and order adjustable toe arms to see if that helps.
Follow up question where can i find longer trailing arms?

Originally Posted by TomCat39
What I was reading recently, the rear trailing arms need to be longer than OEM trailing arms on heavily lowered cars.

The upper arms you have is to add camber control but still doesn't fix caster or toe problems from heavy lowering.

The adjustable toe arm may help with the toe challenges.

I can't say I understand why the material I was reading spoke about longer trailing arms on the civics to fix alignment issues as either I haven't gotten that far into the reading or they don't elaborate. Just throwing it out there.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by DryFartWetDog
The guy did mention trailing arms and said the problem was the oem part is maxed out. I dont understand how a trailing arm is involved with alignments but then again im new to this and dont have a wealth of knowledge. Im going to go ahead and order adjustable toe arms to see if that helps.
Follow up question where can i find longer trailing arms?
Doing a google search I didn't come across much. I think your toe adjusters will likely alleviate your problem.

I suspect the material I was reading was very specific. The only longer trailing arms I found were for drag racing purposes to increase wheel base for FWD drag cars. No rear brake provisions beyond a hand brake as pedal control rear brakes is considered dangerous at the end of a drag strip.

I couldn't find anything to substantiate the little I read and can't say I understood.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:24 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Bruh, toe usually is not adjustable in the rear. EGhatch's suggestion is camber control. I'm leaning more towards something being bent. They probably had it towed via the lower control arm linkage at one point. Doesn't necessarily mean an accident but it would make it appear that way. Same thing happened on my M, control arm bent via tow strap......******* idiots but I digress. Grab some OEM rear lower control arms, rear camber is dialed within spec no need to grab adjustable ones yet. Unless the OEM's throw your camber out of whack.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:27 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toe is controlled by adjusting where #14 bolts to the body. So, it is totally adjustable.. Now, you may be right about a bent arm, tho they are pretty hefty, so if bent, it should be obvious..

I'd get a 2nd opinion. Goodyear etc. will check it for free and have him show you whats wrong while its in the air.. Maybe the guy didn't know where it was at..

Old 05-17-2016, 01:35 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To elaborate a tad bit more, the area where #14 attaches to the body is slotted so that the arm can be pulled in/out a certain amount to compensate for toe alignment. If maxed out then adjustable toe arms can be installed for increased/decreased length.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by 24TEN
To elaborate a tad bit more, the area where #14 attaches to the body is slotted so that the arm can be pulled in/out a certain amount to compensate for toe alignment. If maxed out then adjustable toe arms can be installed for increased/decreased length.
^^ This x2.

The part I'm highly uncertain of is the longer trailing arm reference I read.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:35 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

This is me just asking the question, not trying to come off as a dick. How is that section adjustable based on the picture? Are the slots the bolts go on thicker than bolt for movement? Just thought rear toe was effected by other adjustments, not independently adjustable.

Edit: Was too focused on the picture and not 24TEN's response......thanks!!

Last edited by 09chaplak; 05-18-2016 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Sometimes I wear stretchy pants.....
Old 05-18-2016, 05:18 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Need toe adjusters and camber adjusters for the rear

To adjust caster in the front I've read that people swapped the front upper control arms or add washers to the lower control arm.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I have figured out the problem. My rear toe arms are to LONG. They can't be brought in enough as the toe arms are too long, can any one point me in the direction to shortened toe arms?
Old 07-31-2016, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default I need shorter toe arms!!! Help please!!

My rear toe cannot be brought to the proper alignment because my rear toe arms are too LONG. I need a set of rear toe arms that are going to be shorter then the ones I have now(5 inches center hole to center hole), can anyone help me out as to where I can find a shorter set of rear toe arms? Ranging between the minimum length of 3.5 - 4 inches.

Last edited by DryFartWetDog; 08-01-2016 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 PM
Hysterically Calm

Rear Toe Kit
Old 08-01-2016, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there an adjustable rear camber kit installed? Why does the left side have Positive camber? Is your trailing arm possibly bent?
Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have adjustable rear toe arms already on there but they are still too LONG. I need even shorter ones. There is an adjustable rear camber kit installed
Old 08-01-2016, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Area 14 is the place I'm having trouble. I bought adjustable toe arms for that reason and they are still too long.
Originally Posted by JarvisW
Toe is controlled by adjusting where #14 bolts to the body. So, it is totally adjustable.. Now, you may be right about a bent arm, tho they are pretty hefty, so if bent, it should be obvious..

I'd get a 2nd opinion. Goodyear etc. will check it for free and have him show you whats wrong while its in the air.. Maybe the guy didn't know where it was at..

Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Are the adjustables the same length as the oem arms?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They are at their minimum setting at 5inches center hole to center hole. The guys aligning my car said the factory ones were "maxed out" leading me to believe I needed longer ones. Turns out I need shorter ones. I'm looking for rear toe arms with a minimum length between 3.5- 4 inches but am having no luck because a lot of what I'm looking at only specifies -/+ 3.0 toe adjustment and not the actual length of the toe arms.

Quick Reply: 95 civic lx - Lateral arms?