Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 civic ex no dash light no break lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 civic ex no dash light no break lights

My speedometer light does not turn on and my breaklights only turn on when i press the brakes. i have not found a blown fuse yet and i tried messing with the dimmer wires as well but no reaction came from them. also idk if this helps but my alarm stopped working suddenly as well
Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 95 civic ex no dash light no break lights

Aftermarket alarm? Check wirings and relay
Old 12-10-2017, 04:07 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 219 Likes on 196 Posts

Double check your fuses again, car and alarm.. Inspect the alarm wire (usually white wire) to see if the fuse is blown. Aftermarket headunit? Look for the orange illumination wire. Make sure it's taped off if it's not connected.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:53 AM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by alterkill1
My speedometer light does not turn on and my breaklights only turn on when i press the brakes. i have not found a blown fuse yet and i tried messing with the dimmer wires as well but no reaction came from them. also idk if this helps but my alarm stopped working suddenly as well
1. Check/Re-Check Under-dash Fuse No. 19 (10A). Power for the interior and small exterior lights come through that fuse.
2. The brake lights only suppose to come on when the brake pedal is pressed. You probably mean the tail light do not come on. The left and right brake light and tail light use dual filament bulbs; one filament for the brake light and one filament for the tail light. The brake light circuit is separate from the tail light circuit.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had this issue with my vehicle, a 1995 civic dx. Drove me nuts but I'm glad I figured it out. Check your fuses as tech8 says. I have read before that it can be the red wire (mostly unused) behind your head unit that is used for dimming your radio unit. if its exposed, tape it up and make sure its not grounding out somewhere, which in turn will blow a fuse. If that's all good and dandy like mine was, then you have some investigating. The reason I kept blowing fuses on mine, was I had installed all LED bulbs around the car, except for the gauge cluster and a/c controls. The one bulb (in my right brake light) had actually burnt up (they were brand new) and it was causing the circuit to blow a fuse, instantly. I took out the bad bulb and replaced it with an incandescent (changed to led later on after my exchange) and it worked, problem solved.

Also, since we are on this subject, if you wind up blowing a fuse for your reverse lights, your vehicle will not shift into gear. This drove me nuts and I didn't realize until I started pulling fuses.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:10 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Brandon Beja
I just had this issue with my vehicle, a 1995 civic dx. Drove me nuts but I'm glad I figured it out. Check your fuses as tech8 says. I have read before that it can be the red wire (mostly unused) behind your head unit that is used for dimming your radio unit. if its exposed, tape it up and make sure its not grounding out somewhere, which in turn will blow a fuse. .
ORANGE, not red. Red is +12VDC battery power.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
ORANGE, not red. Red is +12VDC battery power.
If someone cut into the harness to install the radio, the wires are red-black = tail light circuit from light switch and fuse, and solid red = dash light return to dimmer switch. The red-black one touching ground will blow the fuse and kill all the lights inside and outside the car.

Never ever cut the harness. Use an adapter plug. In that case, the standardized color for aftermarket radio wiring is orange.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:27 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by mk378
If someone cut into the harness to install the radio, the wires are red-black = tail light circuit from light switch and fuse, and solid red = dash light return to dimmer switch. The red-black one touching ground will blow the fuse and kill all the lights inside and outside the car.

Never ever cut the harness. Use an adapter plug. In that case, the standardized color for aftermarket radio wiring is orange.
correct. Not sure why people cheap out and cut into the car radio harness. An adapter wire harness is like $7 at Walmart.