Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'95 Civic EX fuel mileage/torque build

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Civic EX fuel mileage/torque build

The car: 1995 Civic EX with 212,000. bought for 500 from a friend. This was in pretty sorry shape aside from the motor when i got it.

The plan: Squeeze every drop of free power possible out of this D16Z6 motor and upgrade the bottom end tourque output, while improving fuel mileage.

Last edited by oldcivicjoe; 03-25-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '95 Civic EX fuel mileage/torque build

So far I've had to give the car a full tune-up. Installed camber kits front and rear to adjust for the 2" front/2.2" rear drop. Installed a new set of Falken Zeix ZE912 tires. Both CV axels were shot as well so I went ahead and installed new seals and axles. When I was replacing the axels I noticed that the brakes were pretty low, at about 5% left, went ahead and gave it some new rotors and set of posi-quiet pads. Next was repairing the header that came with the car and installing that.

While i was under the car i noticed that the exhaust was hanging pretty low and had scraped a nice long hole in it. Took it down to my friends shop and had his guys custom make me a 2" exhaust with a flomaster 60 series muffler, its now tucked up out of the way and dosent scrape even over the most horific speed bumps.

Last edited by oldcivicjoe; 03-25-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcivicjoe
The plan: Squeeze every drop of free power possible out of this D16Z6 motor and upgrade the bottom end tourque output, while improving fuel mileage.
That isn't a plan. That sounds like wishful thinking. Exactly HOW do you plan on doing it? Especially since we just had a thread like this one, and have had threads like this one and there never is a solid plan.

BTW. Unless it's an H-series or better, Honda engines do not make torque.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill get pictures up soon, still need to jack the car up and get some pics of the new exhaust. car started out getting 28 mpg, last tank got 38.18 mpg and ive shaved 1.2 secs off my 0-60 times so far, not too bad for a total of 1700 spent including the cost of the car.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
That isn't a plan. That sounds lie wishful thinking. Exactly HOW do you plan on doing it? Especially since we just had a thread like this one, and have had threads like this one and there never is a solid plan.

BTW. Unless it's an H-series or better, Honda engines do not make torque.
haha, you know nothing, the d series bore/stroke ratio is MADE for torque, the problem is the intake port shape. ill remedy that when ever the head gasket goes with a custom port job that decreses short side radius and increases runner volume, ill also be advancing the cam timing, remapping the computer, setting the vtec valve to open sooner, and most likley installing the crower stage one cam, was thinking about the stage 2 but thats better suited to high mid-range power than low mid.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
The Grumpiest

haha, you know nothing, the d series bore/stroke ratio is MADE for torque, the problem is the intake port shape. ill remedy that when ever the head gasket goes with a custom port job that decreses short side radius and increases runner volume, ill also be advancing the cam timing, remapping the computer, setting the vtec valve to open sooner, and most likley installing the crower stage one cam, was thinking about the stage 2 but thats better suited to high mid-range power than low mid.
Compared to another Honda maybe. But these things have no real torque. Don't delude yourself. I've seen the dynos for these all-motor D-series builds. Yes, I've done the research. After all the money you sink into them they're still slow as spit.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the point is not to make as much power as possible, its to get a little bit more power and increase fuel milage as much as possible. try breaking 42 mpg with a b series, not going to happen. oh and btw, my wifes d15b2 made 92 lb/ft at 5,000 before i rebuilt the bottom end, ported the head and did the intake header and exhaust, it now make 132 lb/ft at 4,350. id call that torque improvement. if i can find the dyno chart in all my moving boxes ill post it up so you can see.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM
The Grumpiest

I don't need a dyno. I've seen plenty as I've said. No one is saying you cannot IMPROVE torque but don't confuse the fact that the torque you can squeeze out of these in the end is nothing to write home about.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as i said, not builing this to make tons of power, just want a litte extra and the best fuel economy possible.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Sorry. I got confused when you said you were going to "Squeeze every drop of free power possible out of this D16Z6".
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes free power refers to power you get from uncorking the intake and exhaust without adding fuel or increasing the fuel mixture. flow charateristics are very important, thats why i went with the 2" exhaust instead of 2.25" like every one else uses, the exhaust eddies upon exiting the cat and causes the motor to actually lose about 8 lb/ft of tourque while only gaining about 3 more hp than a properly done 2 inch system.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck with the build and i understand where you are coming from cause i love power but i love good gas mileage better.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep especially when paying $4.45/gal. i think 38mpg is decent but i would love to break 42mpg and beat my moms brand new prius V
Old 03-25-2012, 06:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^^^ dont listen to that cat grump douche, hes somwhat informed but hes a complete douche.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tahitianclean
^^^ dont listen to that cat grump douche, hes somwhat informed but hes a complete douche.
And you're a kid. He's been around these forums a lot longer than you, and he's probably been around cars a lot longer than you. Learn some respect.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah hes pretty negative, and it took him awhile to realize im not trying to build a 10 sec car. just something to get where i need to go that wont bore me to death.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
And you're a kid. He's been around these forums a lot longer than you, and he's probably been around cars a lot longer than you. Learn some respect.
how about he shows me some resect. im an ase certifed master tech and i have built more motors of all kinds than he has touched. i have over 200 purpouse built racing/ high performance motors under my belt.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM
The Grumpiest

How about getting/giving some clarification since your first two posts were pretty vague and at the time you posted had NO pics up? Where in them did you mention any details of the "build". As it stands right now you don't even have a "fuel mileage/torque build" thread up. I guess no one is allowed to ask any questions or impart some criticism? Show me where there was any disrespect?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about he shows me some resect. im an ase certifed master tech and i have built more motors of all kinds than he has touched. i have over 200 purpouse built racing/ high performance motors under my belt.
Somehow I think if you've built 200 motors you wouldn't be asking for help/advice from strangers on the internet.

Much less outlining some ridiculously arbitrary goals as you've listed.