Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo?

Hey guys Im a active poster in the EF forum but I have a EG question.

My father backet races his 95 Civic DX Automatic and does pretty well. The car runs 17.2 with I/H/E. Not impressive but he is very consistant. We are trying to get the car a bit quicker with the Auto trans wth the 1.5L, How dependable would the engine and trans hold up to the Greddy Turbo kit for the 92-95 civic EX? Im guessing it would run mid 15's about with the 5 pounds of boost, which is fine for him. I just dont know how well the trans and 1.5L will hold up. If anyone has any info about this please let me know, thanks!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo? (CWBETB)

from what ive seen low-boost should be fine, I know unrealspeed on this board turbo'd his automatic and it failed on him( I think he was runnig like 10psi though)....Ill also be temporarily boosting my automatic until I get cash for trans swap parts. A good friend of mine turbod his brothers automatic civic ex using an IHI off a subaru running 5-7psi, its been almost a year now and the trans is still doing very well.

BTW: to your car and to your dad on racing....wish my dad was into racing
Old 11-08-2002, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo? (AztecEJ)

Aztec thanks alot for the info! I will have to do a bit more research on this. Im guessing we cant use the blue box with the Greddy kit and have to use a vortec 12:1 fpr like I used on my ZC. Thanks for the props also!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo? (CWBETB)

i have the same car and had the same idea. so i e-mailed greedy about it. they said every thing will bolt up, but you will have to make your own map cut and fuel management. the fcu from the ex will not work. they do not recommend installing this kit on our cars.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Re: 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo? (civic dx)

My 97 EX is supercharged but, boost is boost so I apply.. I ran 60K on that tranny with 5psi... Nothing special, just a stock auto.. Just some redline ATF and I stopped for the "R" to "D" transition coming outta parking spaces and stuff.. Honda auto's don't suck as much as people think..
Old 11-09-2002, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo? (Hadji)

Do if u got the $$$ to spend on trannies. They ran me like $150 at first then my shop went down to $100. Boost does wonders for a AT civic going in a straight line, but for daily driving the boost will kill your transmission. The bad thing about it is that on the AT it will shift when the ECU wants it to. So if the car is boosting the tranny will still shift, and u get this weird hard shift, that eventually becomes normal. But after a while it will wear down until the tranny can no longer grip a gear. Or will slip or not grab at all. If ur going to do this just for a race car, then hell yeah by all means but don't daily drive this thing. Also a BOV doesn't help much, since u have to depress the accelerator to have it work, and AT shifting on its own will never let the BOV do its job, and unless u let go of the car and know when ur car is going to shift its useless. And its one of the reasons the AT is fast cuz it just keeps on boosting. Be warned its fun until **** starts to break. Good luck with ur AT Turbo, I'm moving on to the same deal just in 5 speed 94 Si HB trim.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo? (UnrealSpeed)

how much were you boosting?? Like I posted earlier I think I read 10psi somewhere but Im trying to remember if it was you or not. Im goin to end up swapping my trans, but I'll be keeping it AT for a little bit just to see how it does.
I really like your car BTW: Its saddening hearing about what happened to it.

[Modified by AztecEJ, 9:16 AM 11/9/2002]
Old 11-09-2002, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 Civic DX "auto" using a Greddy Turbo? (AztecEJ)

I was only boosting 4lbs at first then boosted 6lbs. and kept it at 6lbs for about a month b4 my car was stripped.