Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

'94 EX door lock question/problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 EX door lock question/problem

First off it's been great finding this place, lots of useful information

Alright, so basically (i'm gonna skip the whole story) my driver side door had the rod from the keyhole to the lock mechanism removed by the jackass who had the car before me. In the process, he also busted the track that holds the rod in place and allows the turning of the key to lock/unlock the door from the outside. Result? I can only lock/unlock my driver-side door from the inside using the power lock or just flicking it. Here's an illustration of what's going on with my lock mechanism:

So anyways, enough of the rant....I wanna get this solved. I tried a local junkyard but they seem to only have one 5th gen LX, doesn't help me as it's not a powerlock mechanism and it's completely different. You guys have any idea where I can possibly get a new mechanism? How much would Honda charge me to do it?

And I was thinking maybe the easiest way would be to install a remote lock/unlock system..anybody have any ideas on those? Which would fit? And does it use the powerlock rods or the rod that I don't have working anymore? I just really need to get this solved. Getting into the car from the passenger side sucks. bad.

Also, is it normal that my powerlock switch only unlocks, but does not lock? I can press it and it unlocks the doors (both of them), but when I try to press it down to lock them it won't do it. I can get them both locked by just flicking the DRIVER SIDE lock forward, and then it also locks the passenger side. Anyone know if this is normal behavior or is something busted? And if so any idea what?

Thanks a ton in advance guys
Old 02-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '94 EX door lock question/problem (victor.m)

Just buy the replacement parts you need and do it yourself. It's really not that difficult.

Philips screwdriver, maybe a 10mm socket is all you should need.

The whole assembly is $62 from Honda if I'm seeing what you need correctly.

Check this parts list...

Old 02-05-2008, 07:25 PM

Default Re: '94 EX door lock question/problem (Dramier)

Yah I want to do it myself, but how do I go about opening the actual metal door panel so I can get to it? Will I have to fiddle with the window mount or what not, or will the inside panel just come off if I loosen some bolts?

I need the lock assembly for the left power door, so i think it's the

72150-SR8-J50 018 LOCK ASSY., L. FR. POWER DOOR

Right? $78 or so. But I need to know if it comes with the rod to hook it up to the actual handle..I don't think it does and I don't see it listed, as I realized my rod is missing one little piece that holds it to the handle mechanism and also a part that holds it to the arm on the lock assembly. It'd suck if I also had to buy the handle for it to come with the rod.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get this fixed. Walking into the car through the passenger side is a bit lame.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '94 EX door lock question/problem (victor.m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by victor.m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yah I want to do it myself, but how do I go about opening the actual metal door panel so I can get to it? Will I have to fiddle with the window mount or what not, or will the inside panel just come off if I loosen some bolts?

I need the lock assembly for the left power door, so i think it's the

72150-SR8-J50 018 LOCK ASSY., L. FR. POWER DOOR

Right? $78 or so. But I need to know if it comes with the rod to hook it up to the actual handle..I don't think it does and I don't see it listed, as I realized my rod is missing one little piece that holds it to the handle mechanism and also a part that holds it to the arm on the lock assembly. It'd suck if I also had to buy the handle for it to come with the rod.

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get this fixed. Walking into the car through the passenger side is a bit lame.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll have to check with your dealership you order form to make sure it has the rods and such you need in particular.

Basically it goes like this.. You pull the inside door panel off, and peel back the plastic cover. THen through holes in the metal, you can remove and replace everything you need to do.

Trust me, I had to do five door lock actuators on two different Pilots today. It's not that hard.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM

So I should head down to the dealership instead of ordering it from the website? Seems significantly cheaper on that website..I'm loving it as they have a whole bunch of parts I need to touch up my car, like a new hood..my current one has a few dents, a brand new one would be awesome.

So I can change everything through the holes in the metal panel? It just seemed like it'd be a bit thight in there, but if it can be done..it can be done. Do the power lock rods just snap off? I don't want to end up having a completely disfunctional driver side door when I do this ;p I think I'll get by just fine though.

Again, thanks a lot! Hopefully I get this done by the end of next week if I can get the parts in soon enough.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (victor.m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by victor.m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I should head down to the dealership instead of ordering it from the website? Seems significantly cheaper on that website..I'm loving it as they have a whole bunch of parts I need to touch up my car, like a new hood..my current one has a few dents, a brand new one would be awesome.

So I can change everything through the holes in the metal panel? It just seemed like it'd be a bit thight in there, but if it can be done..it can be done. Do the power lock rods just snap off? I don't want to end up having a completely disfunctional driver side door when I do this ;p I think I'll get by just fine though.

Again, thanks a lot! Hopefully I get this done by the end of next week if I can get the parts in soon enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can order from the website, just call 'em up and ask about the rods before you buy. No big deal.

The rods snap on with small plastic connectors. Just take your time and be careful and you shouldn't have any problems. It's tight inside the door, but as long as you're not Popeye or 400 pounds on light day you should be good.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (Dramier)

Alright well sounds good! I'm gonna order it tomorrow hopefully and then I'll be all set when it gets here and I'll post back with how it goes. Hopefully I get my door working!

Oh, and one more question..this time about the power lock. My power lock switch seems to only open the doors. When I click it (forgot it up or down), it will open the doors (both of them) if they're closed - but it won't close them. Is this normal? I can close the doors just fine by pushing in the DRIVER SIDE lock switch. Is it normal that my powerlock switch doesn't lock the doors?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (victor.m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by victor.m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright well sounds good! I'm gonna order it tomorrow hopefully and then I'll be all set when it gets here and I'll post back with how it goes. Hopefully I get my door working!

Oh, and one more question..this time about the power lock. My power lock switch seems to only open the doors. When I click it (forgot it up or down), it will open the doors (both of them) if they're closed - but it won't close them. Is this normal? I can close the doors just fine by pushing in the DRIVER SIDE lock switch. Is it normal that my powerlock switch doesn't lock the doors? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some year models will, some won't.. I don't have a good enough memory to remember which models do which... Somebody on here probably knows for sure though.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Alright, well anybody know or know how I can find out if my power locks are good or if I need to maybe get something checked out? Appreciate all the help Gonna order the parts tomorrow.