Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

94 Civic stalls when shift into drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Civic stalls when shift into drive

My '94 Honda Civic (automatic) will periodically stall when I shift it into drive -- does not stall while driving -- looking for ideas on what the problem is...

Problems started last week. When I went to start the car the starter motor worked, but the engine wouldn't engage. After waiting for 3 min. and shutting off air-conditioner, it started and ran fine.

Two days later, when I started car up and put it into drive, it stalled out. Tried starting again immediately, and it stalled again as I tried to put it into drive. After turning off the AC and waiting 3 min, it started and drove fine. This same situation occurred again about 2 days later.

My mechanic diagnosed the problem as a bad temperature sensor. Changed that, fuel filter, and added throttle cleaner. Drove it home - and later that day - it stalled after starting the engine and trying to put into drive. This time, the air-conditioner was not on. I immediately tried starting the car again – it did start, but then stalled out even before I went to put it into drive.

Of note, 4000 miles ago replaced timing belt, water pump belt, cap assembly, rotor and coil assembly, distributor cap and flushed coolant system.

Appreciate any ideas on what might be causing the problem...