Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Sol w/ Very Intermittent Start Problem (Not Main Relay)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Sol w/ Very Intermittent Start Problem (Not Main Relay)

My 93 Del Sol Si (D16Z6) has been having an intermittent start problem this summer. It started after the car leaked its coolant one day. Turned out there was a hole in a hose, just replaced it and it didn't overheat after that and was fine. I assume this has nothing to do with my problem but still worth mentioning.

Every so often after that day the car will not start, or has issues starting. The majority of the time it cranks and fires just fine. Maybe 1 out of every 25 starts it will crank and not start. Sometimes I can get it to start after trying it a few times, sometimes it has to sit and will start the next morning. It always comes back to me. It had a crank/no start day in my parents driveway while I was visiting. My dad fiddled with the battery and gave it some distilled water and it started right up. We figured the battery was old enough, time for a new one.

Went 2 weeks without a hitch, then after sitting in my work parking lot in the sun it would not start. Tried it several times over the course of 3 hours and it would crank, and not fire. Had to have it towed to my mechanic, where it promptly started the next morning, and continued working so he couldn't figure out the problem.

I figured the heat was a factor and heat + no start = main relay....usually. So I went ahead and replaced that.

Another 2 weeks and the car has been starting great. Used it for long drives on the highway and errand hopping with no issues. Take it to the gas station on my lunch break, fill it up full and what happens? Cranks and doesn't start. I let it sit for a minute and got it to start thankfully, and it started when it was time to go home too.

Now that I know it's not the battery, and it's not the main relay, what else should I check? The main problem is the car doesn't stay non functional long enough to figure out what's wrong! I feel like every time I put my key in the ignition I'm playing Russian roulette. Is it going to fail this time? I hate it.

I don't know what else to check. The one time my mechanic had it and it didn't start he said it didn't have spark. I don't know how true that is. I'm thinking maybe fuel pump, but if it were going wouldn't it be giving me more trouble then these little 2 week visits? I only wonder because it gave me the issue today right after filling the tank up. I also don't believe it has ever acted up on anything under half a tank. I would think a real issue of something failing would have more consistency then this. I almost wish the car would just STOP working so we could finally figure it out.

If it decides to act up again, what should I watch for? I'm not mechanically inclined although I have a desire to learn. My husband seems to think I'll electrocute myself though and won't let me work on it when he's not around, and I'm ALWAYS by myself when it won't start.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 93 Sol w/ Very Intermittent Start Problem (Not Main Relay)

The next time the engine won't start:

(1) Turn the key from off to ON(II) and listen for whether the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds (low humming/buzzing noise in rear). Also note whether the CEL remains on steady or goes off after 2 seconds.

(2) Check for spark at plugs. Click spark link in my signature.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what Ron said first.
I have a 93 del sol si automatic that had a similar problem over a year's time.
I checked and cleaned the ground wires on the thermostat housing.
Replaced the main relay and the PGM-FI relay.
Replaced the ignition switch.
Replaced the fuel pump.
The problem would temporarily go away then come back.
After it rained over night the problem came back.
I checked the ECU and there was corrosion on the top right of the ECU case.
Apparently moisture got to it. I don't know if it was from the targa roof leak or just over time condensation. I got another ECU from a junkyard for $125 and it's been fine since. Look at your ECU and see if there is water corrosion on the top right half of the case.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was expecting there to be some sort of post rain issue but surprisingly there hasn't been. I've been leaving my windows cracked to let air in and been caught in a down pour, but it still starts right up after a rain. At least if it did that I would know it was a moisture issue and to look at the ECU or the dizzy cap. I'm still going to look into the ECU though, and make sure the G101 ground is clean.

Of course, whenever the car WON'T start I'm stuck at work with no tools to speak of. The fact that it seems to happen in 2 week intervals got me thinking, what do I normally do every 2 weeks? The only answer I can think of is fueling up. The last time it failed I believe I got gas that morning on the way to work, and then this time it was in the freaking gas station next to the pump!

Would that logically lead me to the fuel pump then? It seems easy enough to get at, just have to pull apart the inside of the car. Is there a different way to go at it?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Listening for the fuel pump requires no tools or help.

Checking for spark only requires a spare spark plug and a buddy.

If you don't gather this basic information, then you are left with guessing and replacing parts at random.

Also check for CEL codes.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to make sure to take full advantage of the next time the car doesn't start, instead of frantically trying to start it. I'm going to put a paper clip in my purse just so if there's a CEL I can jump the code.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could be the ignitor going out?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Possible. Car was good today so nothing to go on. Anything I can do to be proactive while the car is working to figure it out?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fabioso
could be the ignitor going out?
This would be my opinion too
Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like I said above I chased this same problem for a year. I even changed my fuel pump several times using my warranty replacements. I think an ignitor would be a dead fail problem not intermittent. The only way I think you'll feel secure is to have a spare ECU with you and have your current ECU laying loose on the passenger floor. When it won't start just swap the ECU plugs and drive away. Sounds crazy but that's the way it is with old Hondas. Tow trucks are expensive.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Igniter units can fail intermittently.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The igniter unit and ignition coil are both in/around the distributor right? If I check one I'm going to check the other too. Autozone should check those I assume.

Someone else mentioned the fuel filter. Could that really cause an intermittent problem? I'm sure it needs changing.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any particular reason there's so much corrosion on the bottom of my long hold down thing on the battery? Or why the red color has leached off and apparently sprayed onto something next to it?

Probably unrelated to my issue but it would still be nice to know.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's probably just some overspray of a anti corrosion lubricant somebody sprayed on the terminal.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aiming to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, we'll see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did the fuel filter today. When I started it up with the new filter it behaved much like when it won't start, except it did start of course. The old filter used to be one of those golden ones, but you could barely tell, it was all corroded and gunky. I wonder if it was just a nasty old fuel filter causing my issues. Fingers crossed the problem stays away!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I seriously doubt it was your filter causing the problems. Not a bad thing to change out
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aaaand you're right. On my lunch and after work the car took about 2-3 seconds of cranking to roar to life. It only happens when I go to my Sunday job, which is 30 miles away. It also sits in full sun there. Back to the drawing board. It's been good though, hasn't not started.

Can't wait around for the car to fail, I'm going to have to get proactive.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a diagram in the FAQs sticky that shows how to test the coil. Have an auto parts store test the igniter unit for you.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I should check the coil and the igniter, Is there any way to test the fuel pump without digging for it? I need to get a good list going so I can knock this out in one day. Are there any other relays that I should test? Stupid I know, but I haven't looked at my fuses either. I figured this wouldn't be a fuse issue.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HezaDelsol
Is there any way to test the fuel pump without digging for it?
Measure the fuel pressure.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even when the car is working it will still show up as an issue?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had similiar problems, running along then wham! Out like a light. I would wait, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours and it would start back up. I replaced the main relay with no joy. I finally replaced the igniter and I haven't had the problem since! Now mind you, my dead zones occurred while running and not a starting issue until it crapped out and would not restart for a period of time. Weather did not play into the equation either. And it cost about $50.00 at Autozone.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HezaDelsol
Even when the car is working it will still show up as an issue?
Intermittent problems are the most difficult to deal with. You can either wait for the issue to become a complete no-start or do as much testing as possible now in hopes of finding a useful clue.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by YoNewt
I had similiar problems, running along then wham! Out like a light. I would wait, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours and it would start back up. I replaced the main relay with no joy. I finally replaced the igniter and I haven't had the problem since! Now mind you, my dead zones occurred while running and not a starting issue until it crapped out and would not restart for a period of time. Weather did not play into the equation either. And it cost about $50.00 at Autozone.
Yours was going out WHILE driving? Mine has not done that. Once it's on it stays on. It just doesn't like to start sometimes.

Quick Reply: 93 Sol w/ Very Intermittent Start Problem (Not Main Relay)