Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 EG ZC DOHC swap help

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 93 EG ZC DOHC swap help

I recently bought a 93 eg off my buddy who had a OBD1 4th gen zc motor swapped by a shop and i bought it off him not running because of a possible dizzy problem well it had a d series dizzy rigged on it with vise grips and one bolt i found a jdm h22a dizzy i had layin around and 2 outta three bolt holes fit so i put it on the car cranks fine but wont start all four cylinders spark strong and i got plenty of fuel but still cant get it to run anyone know anything to try?
Old 04-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 EG ZC DOHC swap help

Originally Posted by jsmeal04
I recently bought a 93 eg off my buddy who had a OBD1 4th gen zc motor swapped by a shop and i bought it off him not running because of a possible dizzy problem well it had a d series dizzy rigged on it with vise grips and one bolt i found a jdm h22a dizzy i had layin around and 2 outta three bolt holes fit so i put it on the car cranks fine but wont start all four cylinders spark strong and i got plenty of fuel but still cant get it to run anyone know anything to try?
to be honest with you, one pittsburgher to another, i would just **** can that entire setup. seriously, don't even waste money on a different distributor. if you wanna stay inexpensive find a d16z6 and swap it, it will obviously bolt up to your tranny, using the same axles and yada yada.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it possible you have the timing 180 out? take it to top dead, remove dizzy cap and note where rotor is sitting. that'll be #1 then place plug wires in clockwise position and it should be 1-3-4-2, try that out.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 PM

ill try clockwise this time but i took the dizzy off and rotated the shaft 180 and put it back and it did nothing and when i put it at top dead center it looked like it was pointing to the number two cylinder but ill check it again
Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jsmeal04
had a d series dizzy rigged on it with vise grips and one bolt i found a jdm h22a dizzy i had layin around and 2 outta three bolt holes fit so i put it on the car

Originally Posted by medorihb
is it possible you have the timing 180 out? take it to top dead, remove dizzy cap and note where rotor is sitting. that'll be #1 then place plug wires in clockwise position and it should be 1-3-4-2, try that out.
if that's any indication of how the swap went for the previous owner, and the alternatives we've resorted to trying here i would have to say i'm gonna stick with my **** can idea and start fresh. And no the timing can NOT be 180 out, the notch on the dizzy is offset, making this impossible.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not necessarily. it could be if he didn't put the wires back on right. then the timing could be all fudged up. anyway i probably wouldn't have got the car after seeing the dizzy being held on with visegrips that should have told you how well the last owner actually cared about the car. i don't want to get into an arguement i'm just throwing out suggestions. i realize the notch is offset.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by medorihb
not necessarily. it could be if he didn't put the wires back on right. then the timing could be all fudged up. anyway i probably wouldn't have got the car after seeing the dizzy being held on with visegrips that should have told you how well the last owner actually cared about the car. i don't want to get into an arguement i'm just throwing out suggestions. i realize the notch is offset.
ah, i see what your saying, but 180 out is a term used to describe the distributor being put in backwards, i've never heard it referred to as meaning his firing order was wrong, thats what had me confused.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:44 PM

aight i have decided to give up on the ZC i was wondering what is a easy and cheap mini me swap for this motor will the d16z6 head fit on this bottom end with minimal work?