Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 eg sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 eg sedan

Alright, i have a 93 eg sedan(I believe it's a Eh9?) well anyways, lately it's been heating up, it creeps up to past halfway, almost touching red but not quite there. I already changed the radiator and fresh hoses. I just changed the thermostat today, and testing the old one by heating it up and checking if it still opens and the old was was fine still works good. So i gave it some water and turned it on, drove it around the block 2-3 times and sat it in my driveway and watched it heat up, once it get's hot it FINALLY turn's the fan on, and it cool's it down some but not all that way. What else should i do before i have the Head gasket checked? Bleed the coolant? something else i should change or check?

Thanks in advance for any help. THE MOTOR IS A d16y7
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 eg sedan

Did you bleed it to begin with? Bleed it first. There should be a bleeder screw on the side of the block or on the water outlet housing. you can also run it with the cap off and watch the temp and coolant level.

If you want to test it a bit more, You can try pressure testing the system to make sure it is not leaking somewhere. You can also pressure test the cap.

Also...its not necessary, but you should run a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. It will keep the water from freezing in the block, prevent most, if any, corrosion, and it will raise the boiling point of the water.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by B20DelSol
Did you bleed it to begin with? Bleed it first. There should be a bleeder screw on the side of the block or on the water outlet housing. you can also run it with the cap off and watch the temp and coolant level.

If you want to test it a bit more, You can try pressure testing the system to make sure it is not leaking somewhere. You can also pressure test the cap.

Also...its not necessary, but you should run a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. It will keep the water from freezing in the block, prevent most, if any, corrosion, and it will raise the boiling point of the water.
Thanks, that's what i was going to do. I little background on the car on why i didn't do it, was because i originally got the car for 1600 and it was such a still, ran like it only had 15k miles on it, ran strong. My dad ended up using it as a commuter car so i only have it for weekends and i said **** it, and just he drives it now. He changed the radiator but never bleed the cooling system. So that's what i was going to do. IF, that is not the reason, the only other thing i can think of, is the head gasket, but i mean there's no smoke or water coming out of the exhaust tip in the back. Idk, i'll do some trouble shooting.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can check you oil too...if it is milky, you have water in your oil...and it has to come from somewhere...usually the head gasket.

Or if you have oil in your coolant...one way or the other, you will figure it out.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by B20DelSol
You can check you oil too...if it is milky, you have water in your oil...and it has to come from somewhere...usually the head gasket.

Or if you have oil in your coolant...one way or the other, you will figure it out.
Yeah, and i got a ******* HUGE DEAL on synthetic oil, omg one of my buddies owns a shop, and i got 10 gallons of synthetic oil for 25$ and he's going to sell me his 100 gallon crate of it that he has for another 100$ once it comes in, because it's not the brand he wanted. So i'll be keeping up some good maintenance on the car. I'm have free time so i want to take the head to the shop and have it bored, and deck you know the business lol
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when was the last time the water pump was changed? I have a 94 sedan and was doing the same thing and that's what the problem was with mine. changed the timing belt and water pump and it runs fine now

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you feeling better today Maurice?
Good score on the oil. What kind of synth is it?
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by dirty19
Are you feeling better today Maurice?
Good score on the oil. What kind of synth is it?
Yes, thank you for asking, no hard feelings?
And i believe it's either moble 1 or castro i believe? All i know, is it's basically one of the best Synthetic Oil i can get for the GSR i'm building, once i get my ek, i want to build either a HB or Coupe, i'm starting to really lean towards the coupe, because of this ******* HUGE score i found on one for 500$ with a freshly build gsr, just need's new spark plugs(Even has NGK wires and plugs for 20$ if i want them) lol car is BEAUTIFUL.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

****!, i'm almost POSITIVE it's a blown head gasket. Tried bleeding the system, was going great, was waiting for all the bubble's to disappear, then it started getting low, and white foam came up. I'm almost positive the head gasket is blown, from my dad going burnout after burnout(That's why the c-v joint's broke -_-). What do you guys think? i just changed the thermostat(Told dad old one was PERFECT, didn't listen bought another OEM one brand new), so that's not the problem, brand new oem radiator, and pumps. Water pump is fine. IT HAS to be the head gasket.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by Maurice's Build
Yes, thank you for asking, no hard feelings?
And i believe it's either moble 1 or castro i believe? All i know, is it's basically one of the best Synthetic Oil i can get for the GSR i'm building, once i get my ek, i want to build either a HB or Coupe, i'm starting to really lean towards the coupe, because of this ******* HUGE score i found on one for 500$ with a freshly build gsr, just need's new spark plugs(Even has NGK wires and plugs for 20$ if i want them) lol car is BEAUTIFUL.

Every one has a bad day.
Good deal .. dont let me find out where that is.. i'll swoop in and get it.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Every one has a bad day.
Good deal .. dont let me find out where that is.. i'll swoop in and get it.
Personal friend, lol. But if he has more i'll let you know and give you a good deal. trust me 100+ gallon's IS WAY MORE than i need xD
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Not the oil... the gsr engine...500 bux?
I use Motul 300V synthetic motor oil.... the very best you can buy.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Not the oil... the gsr engine...500 bux?
I use Motul 300V synthetic motor oil.... the very best you can buy.
oh haha, Also a personal friend lawl, but yeah i gotta ******* take the valve cover off tomorrow and check if my father blew the head gasket(Even though i told him over and over and over again, "THIS IS NOT YOUR RWD DATSUN 510) and to stop treating and beating on it like it is -_-. put more money in repairs then upgrades LOL
Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

swap a k20 into it
Old 12-03-2012, 09:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by doood
swap a k20 into it
Mother's getting Rsx, swap d16y7 for k24 before she knows anything? Sounds good. xD jk But yeah, in California, HAD A FREAKING 4-5 hour long conversaion on why it is so illegal and how there hasn't been a 100% fully street legal k20 in cali. yet. Would like to be the first :D lol not going to happen xD
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You keep posting, but you have yet to start listening. You also still owe grumble $100.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM
been there done that

what rsx comes stock with a k24? please enlighten me.

i guess you chose to ignore the facts given to you about BAR legal k20 swaps in that other thread. it's ok, if i made myself look like an ******* and lost a wager i put up, i'd ignore them too.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maurice's Build
I've had a GSR in my eg sedan for over 3 years
What happened to you're GSR?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i guess you chose to ignore the facts given to you about BAR legal k20 swaps in that other thread. it's ok, if i made myself look like an ******* and lost a wager i put up, i'd ignore them too.
did i ever say it was a dealership'd rsx? did i ever say it was a stock rsx? No, you jumped to ******* conclusions like a 10 year old. Instead of acting like a ******* child maybe you could have asking the simple question of, k24? was it swapped? Obviously i know a have a2 comes out of the rsx-s(WHICH IS THE MODEL SHE IS BUYING). but no, you continued to try and prove me wrong. Instead grow the **** up, because the rsx she is buying from a buddy of mine, is in fact a k24, as he wanted to track it(Not sure exactly why he wanted the k24, not my business to ask.) ******* MORON.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 98civdx
What happened to you're GSR?
Not the same car. This is the sedan that my dad commute's in every day, and rarely on the weekends i get to drive it. The sedan i was talking about was a white sedan we owned for around 3 years.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

And you know what, to really top this off. You failed to read more then once, that not a single one of the "Bar'd swaps" was in the state of california. Atleast, with pictures of bar or state ref. "Baring" your car does not make it 100% legal. ******* idiot. http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...99&tx=28&ty=91
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by jbpnoman

You keep posting, but you have yet to start listening. You also still owe grumble $100.
Oh, and don't think i frgot about you mr. Jp, where exactly was there a "100% fully street legal k20 swapped 1990-2000 honda civic, in the state of california?" go ahead and post the forum again, so i can facepalm until i get a concussion, because not a SINGLE one of the post's was in california, and if there was, there was no pictures or anything to even prove what the guy was saying.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maurice, it's time to accept that you're wrong and move on. I know it seems hard now, but it'll be a lot easier once you accept it. I live on the other side of the COUNTRY, and even I know you're wrong. A lot of these guys calling you out live in CA, and have either dealt with it, or have done the research into it to know just how possible it is, and exactly what's involved.

So, a BAR cert doesn't make your car legal?

I'm trying to be nice here, but you're making it REALLY hard.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
been there done that

december issue of honda tuning. RHD converted 90 crx with BAR legal k20 swap. foot, remove from your mouth.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Dooood... Slow down here, lets not get started again.
Your posts even have me confused.
Datsuns
RSX's
EG sedans
GSR motors for 500.00?
Im all

Try again with out all the cursing.
Theres a better way to get your points across with out all the silliness.

Quick Reply: 93 eg sedan