Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol Si wet floor

I drive a 93 Del Sol Si
209k on the body
D16A Motor swap
170k on the motor

I was cleaning out my blower motor today, when i pulled back the carpet the floor was soaked on the passenger side under the carpet. So i checked the drivers side and it was wet as-well but not as wet. Anyone else had this problem with a 92-95 Civic or DelSol? I cant seem to trace the leak theirs no water on the firewall just the bottom of the floor. I know its not coming from the door or roof any info?

Ive heard that civic of this generation have this problem and its the drain holes under the cowl, but were my water is that doesn't add up.

I removed the windshield cowl to get a better look but that offered no insight. It goes straight into the blower motor hole but that doesn't explain water on both sides.There are drain holes on either side of this drain trench.

Blower motor hole \/
Name:  blower hole.jpg
Views: 8291
Size:  104.5 KB

Wet Floor \/
Name:  wet floor.jpg
Views: 5260
Size:  96.8 KB

Underneath the cowl \/
Attachment 381905

Directions for common leak \/
Name:  directionsd.jpg
Views: 4162
Size:  130.2 KB
Name:  directions 2.jpg
Views: 3887
Size:  69.1 KB

Last edited by Nave43; 02-04-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:59 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 93 Del Sol Si wet floor

Get a friend with a hose. If it's a fire hose, even better. If not, a garden hose will work. Flip yourself upside down, get your head up in there, and get comfortable. Have your friend spray your car down while you look and listen for drips and leaks. Also, inspect the wiring grommets that protect the harnesses and hoses that come through the firewall, make sure they aren't damaged and allowing water through. While you're doing that, give the liquid a quick sniff - is it water, or is it coolant?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Get a friend with a hose. If it's a fire hose, even better. If not, a garden hose will work. Flip yourself upside down, get your head up in there, and get comfortable. Have your friend spray your car down while you look and listen for drips and leaks. Also, inspect the wiring grommets that protect the harnesses and hoses that come through the firewall, make sure they aren't damaged and allowing water through. While you're doing that, give the liquid a quick sniff - is it water, or is it coolant?
Thank you for the reply, I am almost 100% sure its not coolant because my coolant level has never moved (Unless i flushed it) I also licked the liquid on the floor today(not my best idea) and it had no taste. I was worried that it maybe coolant as you described and coming from the heater core.

I inspected the AC drain as-well and it seems fine and blockage free.

Im no stranger to finding leaks, my sol has had Targa leaks, windshield leaks, sail panel leaks, and taillight leaks all of which are now fixed. I guess its time to do it again.

As soon as possible i will inspect the grommets and see if there is any problems there. Then spray it down and see what happens. Would it be a bad idea to do this with the cowl off the car? I dont want to make anything worse. I am afraid water getting in the little tray underneath the windshield would work its way in and stay in there (the little one not the big one). Then again that maybe the problem.

Before all is said and done I plan on making a little cover for the blower motor hole so water cannot run directly into it as-well.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say bad windshield seal. from the pictures it looks like it's seperating from the glass.(gray areas) also check at the rust around the blower motor fresh air intake.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it will be a simple fix. The drain hose for your air conditioner evaporator is either loose or plugged.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

del sol's leak a lot from the top but im sure you'd be able to tell if it was the top very easily, best bet is to get in there and spray around and see what causes it, and if it happens when it rains then it leaks thru if it randomly appears when it doesn't rain your leaking some kind of fluid could be from a/c wouldn't hurt to get it serviced or checked out, most places check for free at least up here for a/c
Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem with my coupe when I first bought it, but with the driver side. It turned out that the windshield was leaking.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Resurrecting my own thread to bring a conclusion to the story.

The water was indeed coming from a improperly sealed windshield. This trapped water that created rust and subsequently a hole that let water into the vehicle. None of this was visible untill the windshield was pulled. With the windshield removed i ground away the rust, sealed the holes. Had a new wind shield professionally installed (safe-lite) and i haven't had a wet floor on either side since.