Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 Del Sol - Left Turn Signal works, Right Turn Signal activates Hazard Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Del Sol - Left Turn Signal works, Right Turn Signal activates Hazard Lights

As the title says, when I move the Turn Signal Arm so that it's turning Left, just the left Turn Signals come on. When I move the Turn Signal Arm so that it's turning Right, the Hazard Lights come on. When I press the Hazard Lights Button, the Hazard Lights also come on.

This started earlier today when I had the "brilliant" idea to see if I could hook a second Flasher to the system since I can't hear the current one and keep finding myself driving with the turn signal on for who knows how long. I thought I tracked down the correct pins, but when I connected the aftermarket Flasher to them, a fuse blew. No problem, just replace the fuse, right? Nope. Replaced the fuse and this started happening.

I've tried googling for ages, and haven't come up with any solutions, so I figured I would ask here. I seriously doubt it would be the Flasher since it wasn't plugged in when I blew the fuse. I checked every single fuse after blowing the first one.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Left Turn Signal works, Right Turn Signal activates Hazard Lights

I got it fixed(ish). I basically got to the point where I was completely out of ideas, so I decided to just turn on the right turn signal and pull and replace every fuse/plug one by one until something new happened. When I pulled the plug from the back of the hazard lights, it started working like it should. No idea how or why, but for now that's just going to be a problem that I'll let sit in the back of my mind. If I need hazard lights, I can quickly plug them back in, but for now they're going to be disconnected so I can turn right.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Car?

All tech threads require car information.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Car?

All tech threads require car information.
Like he said, need to know what car and such. Also, what aftermarket flasher and from where. Is it still in the car or did you put the original back in?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, I forgot to add that.

1993 Honda Civic Del Sol S. D15B8. AFAIK the flasher in there now is the stock flasher. Like an idiot, I found a pinout of it somewhere online and went to autozone and bought a random flasher. Connected it to where the pinout that I found said it should go and a fuse blew. When I plugged back in the stock flasher, the problems above started. Also, for some reason I can't shift out of park now. I'm not sure if the two problems are related, but I noticed the park issue the day after all that happened.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:49 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 93 Del Sol - Left Turn Signal works, Right Turn Signal activates Hazard Lights

So its not fixed and you caused more issues. Looks like someone probably did a hack job. You'll need to check the hazard switch, signal switch, and the relay.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 Del Sol - Left Turn Signal works, Right Turn Signal activates Hazard Lights

Go find schematics and trace your wiring. You've now got some serious problems. Why did you need to buy some random flasher? You should have just got the one that was made for it, it wouldn't have caused these problems. You may end up having to replace the entire dash wiring harness if you're unable to figure it out as it's cheaper than going to someone and having them figure it out.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the old post bump, but I just wanted to let you guys know what I found out. I managed to fix both the issues. The parking brake interlock issue was just because I was being an idiot. When I was going around unplugging things to troubleshoot the blinker issue, I forgot to plug in the adapter for the parking brake interlock.

As for the right turn signal turning on the hazards, I replaced the hazard switch and everything works again.