Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 CX Hatch Fuel Pump & Regulator Probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 CX Hatch Fuel Pump & Regulator Probs

I went to start up my 1993 CX Hatch with a d16y8 swap and no fuel pump sound....It obviously didn't start. I couldn't find the Fuel Pump relay so I just bought a new DNA fuel pump with a regulator and PSI gauge... I went to install them and ran into a few snags. The DNA regulator didn't match the bolts on the fuel rail when I went to replace the OEM regulator. So I put the OEM one back on and moved on to replacing the fuel pump. I replaced it even though the slot for the original pump was too small for the aftermarket pump on the support bracket that fits inside the tank.. My Chilton book for 92-95 model imports recommended that I lift the entire car, remove the gas tank after draining it, then replace the pump....I do not have the resources for this. Any recommendations from the higher intellect of civic techs?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 93 CX Hatch Fuel Pump & Regulator Probs

You cannot embed pictures using the quote function.

Get OEM parts. I don't know what you need aftermarket Ebay knock-offs for a Y8.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon6 Re: 93 CX Hatch Fuel Pump & Regulator Probs

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You cannot embed pictures using the quote function.

Get OEM parts. I don't know what you need aftermarket Ebay knock-offs for a Y8.
I would if OEM was my style. I have the 99-00 front end conversion and swap so no need to just be "normal"
Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fixed it for you. OEM isn't your "style"? Stop trying to be special - an EGK is nothing new. You have no reason to use anything other than OEM fuel components. You need to match the parts to the section of the car they're going on. Fuel pump for a 93 CX, regulator for a 99DX/EX/SI, depending on what the donor car for your front clip was.

You're using cheap, crap parts and wondering why they aren't fitting. Stop using cheap crap parts, spend the money on decent parts, and fix it the right way.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:30 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not about style. Those parts serve important functions. At least get parts that actually fit and work with your application and not base them solely on what color they are or how cheap you can get them for. That is a generic $20 universal knock-off.

Here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-UNIVERS...60ec56&vxp=mtr
How do you trust this not to fail on you for $20?
And DNA Motoring is not a manufacturer of any of the parts they sell. They are just drop shippers for all that OTHER cheap "JDM" crap.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: 93 CX Hatch Fuel Pump & Regulator Probs

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
It's not about style. Those parts serve important functions. At least get parts that actually fit and work with your application and not base them solely on what color they are or how cheap you can get them for. That is a generic $20 universal knock-off.

Here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-UNIVERS...60ec56&vxp=mtr
How do you trust this not to fail on you for $20?
And DNA Motoring is not a manufacturer of any of the parts they sell. They are just drop shippers for all that OTHER cheap "JDM" crap.
Woahhh, I asked for help on making this work. Not extreme ridicule for no reason. So you like OEM stock because of their functional purposes? AWESOME. All I asked for was advice to make my project work as well as possible....If I wanted some OEM, don't you think I would have gone that route?? Can I please just get some "helpful advice"?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No need to do what your chilton said for getting to the fuel pump, its under your back seat the main relay is not that bad to find but having a chilton is hampering your repair. get a helms and you will be good to go. It will tell you all that you need to know and where to find the main relay and where to check for voltage etc. the search button will also show threads where a pic will show where the main relay is or google it.
Be aware that when you check for voltage at the fuel pump at the connector it will provide voltage for a few seconds and not a constant voltage if the main relay is doing its job and your wiring is good.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have any reason to replace the fuel pump? Replacing parts that have not been tested is a poor strategy as it can be time consuming and expensive. Reinstall the stock pump unless it has tested bad.

Have you tested main relay fuses 24 and 31?

Have you cleaned and tightened the G101 ground on the thermostat housing?

Have you resoldered the main relay?

Any CEL codes?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DonkyG
Woahhh, I asked for help on making this work. Not extreme ridicule for no reason. So you like OEM stock because of their functional purposes? AWESOME. All I asked for was advice to make my project work as well as possible....If I wanted some OEM, don't you think I would have gone that route?? Can I please just get some "helpful advice"?
We are giving you helpful advice. You're trying to get cheap, eBay crap parts to work in your car. Parts that weren't even made for your car, at that. Buy OEM, or buy proper, well known brand name parts. You also don't seem to have made any diagnosis short of "let's throw parts at it!" Read what RonJ posted. Do the diagnostics, then replace parts. Replace them with quality parts, or you'll just be doing this again in under a year.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: 93 CX Hatch Fuel Pump & Regulator Probs

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
We are giving you helpful advice. You're trying to get cheap, eBay crap parts to work in your car. Parts that weren't even made for your car, at that. Buy OEM, or buy proper, well known brand name parts. You also don't seem to have made any diagnosis short of "let's throw parts at it!" Read what RonJ posted. Do the diagnostics, then replace parts. Replace them with quality parts, or you'll just be doing this again in under a year.
I just sent the ebay seller a request to return the pump and regulator. I found OEM fuel pump for cheaper too. The hour after I wrote this thread I replaced the "JDM crap" with the stock pump, and it remained dormant. However after a few hours it started up. Then it quit when I tried to start it today. Then I waited a few hours and it started.... I'm going out tonight to get a DC tester, test the connections, check/clean the g101 ground on the thermostat housing unit. Thanks, I'll keep you updated.