Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic startup problem...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic startup problem...need advice

My friend got a 93 civic ex that doesn't start up anymore. Here is what happened exactly as he described it:

He insert the car key, turned it and the car starts, but unlike other ignition port, his key doesn't turn back. Then he heard a screeching sound and his battery wire burned out.

Sorry I'm pretty new to ignitions, but I hope this help describe what happened. Anybody have ideas on what broke or went wrong? I think it's either the battery or the ignition...but i may be wrong.

EDIT: My friend replaced the battery wire and tried turning the ignition key, but nothing happened.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: 93 civic startup problem...need advice (handa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by handa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend got a 93 civic ex that doesn't start up anymore.

He insert the car key, turned it and the car starts</TD></TR></TABLE>

meh?
Old 01-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic startup problem...need advice (handa)

so it started and then kept trying to turnover...? and then it died? sounds like something was overloaded...........
Old 01-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic startup problem...need advice (moondoggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moondoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

meh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is the kind of picture that U have to step back and take the thing as a whole lol
well man, I hate the electical parts of a car,I say get a trusted mech on ur baby
Old 01-21-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: 93 civic startup problem...need advice (EvilPinkEye)

I had this problem before....When the key didn't turn back, it lock the starter in its on position and the starter just kept on cranking...by doing this it burn out the starter...you need a new starter,...Also the battery wire heated up due to the starter being overloaded, this probably fried your wiring harness.....get a new harness and starter and you should be ok....Also replace that damn faulty ignition....
Old 01-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic startup problem...need advice (Team 4R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team 4R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so it started and then kept trying to turnover...? and then it died? sounds like something was overloaded...........</TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe the ignition switch was cranking too long that something blew up like "sleeperek" said too. Looks like my friend will be getting new ignition and harness.

Thanks for the advice guys. If there's anything else you can contribute, please just post it up.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic startup problem...need advice (sleeperek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also the battery wire heated up due to the starter being overloaded, this probably fried your wiring harness</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sleeperek, "the battery wire"...are you refering to the black ground wire only?