Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic , engine wont turn over in cold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic , engine wont turn over in cold?

1am last night engine wouldn't turn over. Tried to get a jump, still didn't turn over. Today i go to figure something out and it started right up. I drove it aroind, it has started 3 more times since then.

Sent from my U9200 using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: 93 civic , engine wont turn over in cold?

Won't turn over at all like as in crank? Have your battery checked.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any check engine lights? I was having a similar problem with mine and it was the ect sensor
Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant be the battery. 1 i tried to get a jump and when i turned the key it still didnt crsnk or turn over. 2 the next day it started right up...
I have already replaced the ect ( engine coolant temp sensor)
I still have the idle problem i never figured out either. Replaced IACV etc msybe this new issue is related. I fear my wiring is.just falling apart everywhere lol

Old 02-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But do you have a check engine light on?
Old 02-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dantesenvy
1 i tried to get a jump and when i turned the key it still didnt crsnk or turn over. 2 the next day it started right up...
Test the battery and clean/tighten the battery posts/connectors and ground wire attached to chassis. Also clean/tighten the G3 transmission ground and check the rubber stopper that presses on the starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:35 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the car won't start, do your dash lights work? Does the CEL come on for 2-3 seconds, then turn off, or is the car completely dead in the water? Does the CEL stay on for more than those 3 seconds? Do you hear any noises at all, specifically any clicks or whirs?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes everything is as usual until i turn the key..last night it happened again, was cold and will be the rest of the week.
I turn the key to on, all the lights and typical steps happen. When i turn the key to start, the lights in the dash go off as they usually do but the engine doesn't crank, starter doesn't click, its silent. And scary for me lol
I popped the clutch going downhill last night and it started...
The connections to my starter are solid and clean. Im going to have this problem all week.
So when i got home after driving 20min. I turned off the car, and started it normally again no problem...

Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your battery into your local parts store and have it tested. Sounds like it's on the brink of failure.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had my starter, battery, and alternator checked out today. All of them passed well. I don't care for throwing parts at a problem nor can I afford to. Made an appointment with my local Honda for Friday. Hopefully they can figure out most if not all of my issues.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never made it to honda, slept all day. kicked my codes, got a 43 and that was all, which is " fuel supply system, oxygen sensor " according to the haynes book. ill replace the o2 tomorrow i think i have one i just never put on. noticed a crack in the hose going to my pcv valve, i replaced it and there was no difference in anything lol.
aside from my erratic idle and refusal to start via key ( im still push starting it after work every night at 1am ) , my gas gauge is off my 1/4 of a tank. when i hit 1/4 im actually empty. put seafoam in today, that has worked wonders on older cars I've had in the past.
gonna hit the junk yard tomorrow and try to find an eg8 with a headlight harness. i have 12k hids that havent worked in 9 months. only my regular brights work which ive aimed down to appease cops. if i intend to keep this car i'll end up replacing every wire under the hood, 20 years of florida and puerto rico weather combined havent been too kind to this car lol
can't help myself, in love with 4door 5th gen civics
Old 03-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Trial User

I had a similar problem with my fiance's 2000 civic. We live in cold weather too. It turned out to be the spark plugs (.064 gap!), I've taken over fixing the car since the mechanic it had been seeing was a cheap crap *** place that didn't fix things right.

The distributor cap was replaced this summer as well by the mechanics (who replaces the distributor cap without checking the plugs....)

After changing the plugs it turned over perfectly.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I'd suspect the Neutral Safety switch on the clutch pedal is acting flaky. Being your battery and starter tested out fine as well as the relay and dash all lights up, fuel primes etc etc.

Just for grins and giggles, when it's being a PITA and not cranking at all. Try turning the key to the start/crank position and then push your clutch to the floor. See if it starts to crank and then stops as you hit the floor or just starts to crank.

From your post I'm gathering it doesn't crank at all at these times while everything else works (dash lights up, fuel primes, relay clicks etc).

I'm wondering if the cold is contracting the metal contacts in the switch just enough to be a pain but when a touch warmer they make contact just fine.

Might be a slight adjustment needed to that safety switch. Or as RonJ pointed out the rubber stopper is known to fall out and cause problems.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that may have been bypassed, i have never needed to press the clutch in to start the car, though i still do sometimes out of habit from driving manuals most of my driving life. i replaced the starter today thinking the solenoid was bad, trouble with that is the temperature had warmed up some by the time i walked back and put it in.
waiting for the temperature to drop so i can try a cold start. i will test the clutch switches, there's two of them and i can see the bottom one's button never gets pushed in. there's a hole in the clutch pedal that button goes into so that its never pushed. the one on top i cant really see

went to the junkyard today upullandpay and made out like a bandit. got a map sensor that looks better than mine, even the vaccuum hoses on it look better than mine and i took all the wiring going to the front head lights and turn signals