Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Hatch Water leak questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 92 Hatch Water leak questions.

Been trying to find where my water leaks are coming from, leaks both sides right beside kick panels, driver side it leaks down on top of my fuse box then to the carpet.

Passenger side it leaks from above somewhere and lands on top of the blower assembly directly behind the glovebox.

ive looked around hinges and sealed anyways and checked windshield im kinda wondering if these areas seem like water leaking from some rot where the gutter is inside the fender.

These are driver side me under dash with camera pointing straight up above the fuse box, you can see where the water trail is then it dribbles straight down onto my fusebox area. The camera is pointing towards the driver side of the car.

These are with my glove box removed and pointing diagonally to the corner of windshield basically im just not completely sure what that is im looking at, if its corner of my cowl, windshield or the gutter in fender, you see what looks like black sealant that is wet then it drips down from there.

Thanks for any help trying to see if anyone had similar areas and knows where this could be coming from exactly.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: 92 Hatch Water leak questions.

Sometimes the best way to find where a leak is originating is not to concentrate on the inside where the water has already made half of it's journey, but rather to test the outside of the vehicle for where the leak will start. example: two people, one watching for water inside the car on the side you will test, the other person runs water (very low pressure, you just want to wet the area thoroughly, not spray the **** out of it) starting at the lowest point (headlights/fender) and slowly works their way (about 1 ft. of travel every 2 minutes) to the higher point (middle of roof on the side you are testing). once the person inside the car sees water infiltration, stop applying water and inspect the last area to have had water applied (within a foot forward/backward) for obvious sign of seam seal damage, rust, cracks...etc. if no obvious signs are detected, then you will need to disassemble the area in question and inspect the seams on the inner bodywork.

Based on some experience and honda repair bulletins I have seen, major areas of common water infiltration are the bodywork seams behind the fender where the firewall/pillar/hinge plates meet, the entire windshield channel (common area for rust in certain locales, or if improper glass repair was done), the weld seam along the sides of the roof/pillar panels (seam sealer failure, or rust), and the entire moonroof seal/tray/drain tube system. Your thought about the wiper/vent drain gutter is entirely plausible as well, careful inspection is key.

In any case, it's likely you are seeing seam sealer damage, our cars are rather old now and seam sealer is not a permanent seal, it degrades (hardens and cracks, or pulls away from the surface its applied to) over time like most things.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:21 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: 92 Hatch Water leak questions.

I believe there is a TSB about these leaks for the 5th gen.

TSB_A92-050.pdf

TSB talks about leaks on either corner under dash for 92 and later civics.

See if this helps you isolate.

Best of luck.