Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Hatch Radiator fan issue..

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Hatch Radiator fan issue..

(Hey all I have an issue with my radiator fan in my 92 vx hatch. When I got the car like 3 months back the fan would always be on even if the key was in the on position and the car wasnt running. And it would stay on after I had turned the car off but would go off only if I took the key completely out.)

With that being said..

Just yesterday I was driving around for about an hour and a half in town and the car was fine all day but right about when I was goin to head home stopped at a light, saw some steam coming from the hood noticed my temp gauge was about 3/4 the way up so i parked in a lot and turned the car off. when I looked under the car there was a lot of coolant on the ground and Where I stopped at the light I can tell thats where it just started leaking and I followed the trail down the street to where I stopped. Had a few friends come help me out with some tools, coolant etc. since I had nothing with me And we found the Radiator hose to the thermostat was VERY loose. So I cut a little off the hose, put it back on and screwed it down tight. Checked all the other hoses as well. After the motor cooled down took the Rad cap off topped it of started it up and let it run for quite a while waiting for the fan to kick on then after about 20 min I then realized the fan should have been running the entire time... So my question is, What happened to the fan?? Im lost on what to do, check or how to go about fixing the fan issue. I dont want to run it to a toggle. Since this overheating thing Ive started the car up and let it run for like 25 mins and I didnt see any leaking, the fan wont kick on and it doesnt go past running temp.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 Hatch Radiator fan issue..

Find the fan switch on the Tstat housing. Unplug it and stick a paperclip into the harness side. Then, turn the key in the ignition. The fan should come on. If not, the fan is dead, or the wiring is damaged somewhere. If the fan does turn on, the fan switch is most likely damaged.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Went out and stuck a paper clip in the fan switch. (the two wired green plug with a solid black wire and solid blue wire) and the fan did not come on after turning the key to the on position. So I suppose its either the fan itself or the wiring. Im leaning towards the wiring because of some of the retarded ghetto rigged things Ive already had to fix on this car anyways...*big exhale* great...
Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well After going down to work on the car I realized that the fan switch plug was jumped on the end with a wire. And that I had the wrong plug (a solid blue wire and solid black wire that goes to a green plug) where the actual fan switch is meant to be. I then noticed then power wire for the real fan switch (a blue with black wire) went into the harness like it should but the ground wire for that was cut so I snipped the ground from the unused plug, ran it to the my ground wire on the fan switch plug and viola! My fan kicked on after running a while so Its all good... for now. lol
Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work on finding the problem. Wiring can be a pain in the but.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya I know wiring can suck, Ive messed with wires enought but even if you know what youre doing it can still be a pain. I know it wasnt the ideal way to fix my issue but the ground wire I used for my fan switch came from a plug on my harness that wasnt being used at all and Im not throwing any codes, so I thought eh what the heck lol..
Old 02-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good work. Nice to hear you got that situated.