Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 civic CX won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 civic CX won't start

Hey, I'm new here and was hoping for some direction. I have a 92 honda civic cx hatchback that I picked up about 5 years ago. It had a LS motor and GSR tranny swapped into it. When I bought it, it ran (I drove it only about 5 miles, but it had been driven by the previous owner more than that). I worked on a few things here and there but I ran out of time, money, and knowledge (had friends helping me for a little while) to continue working on it. It sat in my grandfathers driveway for about 4-5 years. Over time we started it a few times to make sure it worked. About a year ago it didn't start. We jumped the motor and the motor runs.

I want to make this my daily, so the past few weeks I've been spending quite a bit of time on it. However, it has a bundle of issues. First, the car doesn't start with the key, however I think I have located that issue and am sure I can fix it. The wiring in this car was a complete disaster and I've been pulling out extra wires all week (from an alarm system that IDK even worked). The next problem is the fuel pump wont prime at all. I've checked (and replaced) the main relay, checked dash fuse 12/18/24 and hood fuse 31 and all but 18 work. The problem is it isn't the fuse. It's the slot on the fuse box doesn't receive power at all. The next problem is when I do certain things in the car, ex: try to turn on the high beams or press the brake pedal the car temperature gauge sky rockets to "hot" and dash lights (brake/oil/CEL) start coming on (sometimes very faded and sometimes slightly bright) and when letting go of the high beams or releasing the brake it slowly drops back down. This happens when the ignition is turned to any position (even off I believe, I'll have to check again). Note that no lights work (headlights/brake lights, etc).

The car would likely run just fine (after I fix the ignition wire) if the fuel pump would prime (but still have all the lighting issues). I have jumped the fuel pump to make sure it works. I have left it running and turned the car on (by jumping it). I have tested for continuity between the black and green/yellow wire going to the pump and they both have continuity going all the way to the main relay connector. I have checked G101 thermostat housing ground. I took it off and sanded slightly and cleaned it up. Seemed fine.

In a fuse diagram it says dash fuse 18 is for the main relay. Does it have anything to do with the fuel pump? What powers the fuse box/slot. Why would only fuse 18 not be getting power to the slot? And why in the world do dash lights go crazy when fiddling around with the brake pedal and high beams?

If any additional information is required just let me know. I have done quite a bit of testing, and have been to many forums to read similar issues. This is the first time I have posted about it and I am still learning about cars (so be easy lol).

Sorry for the long read and thank you for taking the time if you made it through it!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 92 civic CX - need a lot of help!

No ideas? Anything?
Old 06-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It may be in your best interest to get a new dash harness all together, since it appears that the rest of it doesnt seem to work well. The main relay is part of what tells the fuel pump to run. No power to the relay, no fuel pump.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I might have to go down that road. What is the best place to get a dash harness? I've called a few local junkyards today and they almost immediately said they didn't have them (too old). Ebay doesn't seem too reliable right now. Hardly any on there. What exactly is the dash harness? Is it all one piece, or is there multiple pieces that make up the whole thing. Does the dash harness plug into the ECU?

When looking at:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=WIRE+HARNESS

I thought at first it might be "32117-SR3-A02 / 005 / 001 / WIRE HARNESS, INSTRUMENT" but that looks fairly small. I believe I need more than that.

I definitely have some sort of problem with the ignition wire (black/white) going from the brown plug in connector (under dash) to the 2 wire connector at the shock tower (black/white wire and a black/yellow wire).

Another thing is connector "A" that plugs into the ecu is hack wired like CRAZY. It drives me nuts. I was hoping that if I do get a dash harness it would be from the ECU to the shock tower.