Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 Civic Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic Brake Problem

I have a 92 civic hatch, "EG", and i dropped the car really low to the ground, and i noticed that my rotors and brake pads are kind of worn out, but whenever i crank the wheel either to the right or left, i lose all of my brake pedal. The pressure is gone and I have to straighten the wheel back before i pump the pedal back up.
When i'm driving normally the brake pedal is kind of soft, but not a lot at all, and they work just fine.
I was mainly thinking master cylinder, as well as the worn of the pads and rotors.
I've done research and a lot of lifted vehicles have this problem, and its because the suspension geometry a gets thrown off and it creates extra room in between the pad and the disk.

I was really hoping someone could tell me what the problem is. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Brake Problem

Just do a complete brake inspection, most places offer it for free or at very little cost. Probably your brake lines. Why so low in the first place? Perfect example of function over fashion.

What's your suspension/brake set-up?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 92 Civic Brake Problem

Originally Posted by hondafdj444
I've done research and a lot of lifted vehicles have this problem, and its because the suspension geometry a gets thrown off and it creates extra room in between the pad and the disk.
Don't know where you saw this but suspension geometry does not affect pad to rotor clearance. The rotor is attached to the knuckle in a fixed distance and so is the caliper bracket. The only way suspension changes could affect the pad to rotor distance would be if due to changes so extreme that when the steering turns the caliper is binding on something and no longer able to float on it's pins.

In a condition that bound up the caliper their could be enough of a gap to cause the pedal issue you describe.

If this is the case you should be able to see the caliper hitting something with the wheels turned.

But my first guess would be a bad flex line.