Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long]

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long]

Hey Folks,

I've been reading Honda-oriented forums for two and a half years now (as long as I've owned my Si) and I've read literally hundreds of debates about how slow/fast the Si in fact is. What I'm about to say won't clear anything up, but it might be food for thought.

When I first got my car, I found myself pretty impressed with the low end performance of the ubiquitious new mustang v6s (193hp). Ones with the manual trans. definitely seemed to have an edge in the bottom, just as stats had suggested. From about 90 onward, however, I could literally walk away from them. The new Cougar V6s also seemed pretty impressive, but (again) from 90 upward I could pull on them very slowly. In short, I was feeling pretty good about the Si until I ran against a 5th gen. EX with I/E. Almost dead even until 85 or so, at which point I walked away quite steadily. This is about the time that everyone starts to talk about how slow the Si is and how it lacks torque, etc.

To be sure, many races are *close*, and it's true that VTEC Preludes and Integras (GS-R and R) walk away at 90 the same way I walk away from an EX or a 'stang. That doesn't, however, make the Si "slow as ****" as I've so often seen. Here's some perspective for you. I used to work for a Public Safety department and the official stats on the mid-1990s Caprices with the 260hp LT-1 vette motor showed them to be between one and two seconds *slower* than the Si from 0 to 100 and from 0 to 120--that's absolutely insignificant for anyone foolish enough to try to run but it's pretty telling in other ways. These were highly respected pieces of machinery, yet the Si was marginally faster.

So, just my $.02 on this oft-repeated topic--the Si is neither a Viper nor a grocery-getter. It is what it is--a compromise between two extremes and, like any compromise, you have to give a little. For all of those who think a bone-stock Si is a Corvette killer, dream on. But for all those who think it's just another cheap econobox, prepare to be surprised.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:12 AM

Default Re: 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long] (vizwiz)

How do you walk away from anything past 90 in an Si? I own one, and after about 90-95 there is absoulty no pull at all.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long] (audiobahnman)

Ahh..there's gotta be pull..from 90mph..I have a hatchback, and it goes until 110, slowly I'll admit. So you have to be faster than that!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he means the 6G Si is an all top end kinda car. No nuts under 6k rpm, so it's like a rubbeband as somebody once put it.. "ya gotta wind it up to get it going". It's absolutley true. I mean it doesn't have the top end of a GS-R or Lude, but for what it is, it's got good top end yes, I mean I would give lots of people nightmares in my '93 GS-R from 60mph+ thanks mainly to the gearing and the engines ability to rev and make decent power... now you pit it with a torquey LS1 and from 90+ the Si looks like a Yugo, but it's all in comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Finding another USDM sport compact with a 1.6L displacement that delivers what the Si does isn't very easy now is it

[Modified by VTC_CiViC, 10:35 AM 2/28/2002]
Old 02-28-2002, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long] (VTC_CiViC)

Old 02-28-2002, 08:36 AM

Just curious--against what are you comparing your Si's lack of pull after 90? I pull very steadily all the way to the rev limiter in 4th (even uphill). I'm assuming that you have a U.S. Si model (i.e. DOHC VTEC) and not the SOHC Canadian model? 5th gear is definitely a different ballgame and most folks who are honest will admit as much when talking about their top speeds (i.e. the Si may do 130 but it takes a good bit of time to get there once you've shifted into fifth.)
Old 02-28-2002, 08:38 AM
New User

The cars you mentioned that are faster than the Si are all more expensive. $4-5k more USD. You get what you pay for.

When I was in the market for a new car I really wanted a ITR but none available in '99. Next was the GSR or Si, I bought the Si because it was significantly less the the GSR. Also it bigger inside, it can fit 4 comfortabely.

CB
Old 02-28-2002, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can do 130 in 4th...5th is usless after that
Old 02-28-2002, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who the hell cares!!!

The point in saying there slow as **** is there off the line speed OR from a rolling start of 35-40.......what the hell are you saying 90 up. Where the hell do you live, I am staying away.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:21 AM
New User

Default Re: 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long] (Spade)

bottom line: for the PRICE, nothing is faster, and give as much performance. (new cars) its a bang for the buck. thats why i bought my Si. value.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:47 PM

Default Re: 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long] (ToneyTigre)

bottom line: for the PRICE, nothing is faster, and give as much performance. (new cars) its a bang for the buck. thats why i bought my Si. value.
I totally agree with ya Toney.
Old 02-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long] (ToneyTigre)

What about some of the vdubs? I have no experience with them personally, but have "heard" they are comparable...
Old 02-28-2002, 02:25 PM

Default Re: 6th Gen Si--*relatively* fast perhaps? [Long] (mps9506)

If you're looking for some interesting numbers, check out the following link that popped up over on CSI: http://www.maitreg.com/cars/performa...?ID1=4&ID2=157

This is a comparison of the 2000 Si and the 2002 (they call it 2003) Si, but you can plug in any car off of their fairly extensive list to get the rundown on how the 6th gen compares in terms of acceleration, top speed, etc.
Old 02-28-2002, 02:40 PM

4 of my friends have sir's (si's) one is stock with a cai two are sc'ed and one is turboed.
I obviously dont stand a chance against 3 of em, but against the mostly stock one I beat him every time when we run his best was a 15.5 I beleive and mine was a 15.1 (after all the mods and tuning).
Stock for stock he would walk me, I would have him up until the end of second and then in third he would pass me.
I like the gearing of the si compared to my car.
Overall I really like the si and to this day regret not buying one.