Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the ****

Like i said in the title, my "6 puck is the ****"
I have a new found respect for clutches these days
This **** is Bananas I love it , but i did do some damage with it.
I ended up snappin the bolts on the tranny back bracket and i snapped an axle.
No biggy though , It should be ready for E Town this Saturday
Can't wait
Old 06-29-2004, 02:09 AM

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (piggs)

haha, if you don't have racing mounts, I would get them before you start busting stock mounts like me.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:11 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

You'll think it's cool until you start destroying transmissions like me. I have destroyed 3 Type R final drives thus far.

I got smart and got a full faced, sprung hub disc and I have no problems.

Also my puck clutch was sprung hub, which is *supposed* to help with the chatter, but it's all bullshit.

Puck clutches also make the car a chore to drive.

Good luck! You'll need it with that clutch!

Old 06-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (B18C5-EH2)

So I got the full diagnosis of the damage: and pics soon

1) the fake hasports motor mounts that i got held up but, the tranny bell housing
didn't . The motor mount bolts yoked the the thread right out of the bell housing(crazysh!t) So 2 bolts pulled the threads right out and, the 3rd one snapped (clean brake)
2) also the peace of the tranny broke off and is still attached to the rear tranny mount and the right axle broke
3) so basically the motor was still in the car because of the 1 mount that is on the block
4) So now what should i do to beef this **** up?
Should i buy a blow GSR tranny n swap the guts?
Does anyone make stronger bell housings?
PLEASE Im open to any suggestions EXCEPT LOOSING THE 6 PUCK
Old 06-29-2004, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll think it's cool until you start destroying transmissions like me. I have destroyed 3 Type R final drives thus far.

I got smart and got a full faced, sprung hub disc and I have no problems.

Also my puck clutch was sprung hub, which is *supposed* to help with the chatter, but it's all bullshit.

Puck clutches also make the car a chore to drive.

Good luck! You'll need it with that clutch!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just picked up a project car with a 6 puck unsprung ACT clutch.

The guy I bought it from thought it was THE best thing since sliced bread. It's COMPLETE overkill.

Full face is the way to go if you want to actually enjoy driving the car.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:34 PM
New User

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (Jonathan_EH)

get rid of the six puck.
obviosuly it fucked up your ****.

Old 06-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 12-13 thousand miles on my act 6 puck unsprung clutch disc and stock R pressure plate. hard miles. racing every nite. while launching on drag radials. when i pulled the motor 2 months ago (about 10k miles on the setup) pressure plate was smooth. plenty material on the disc. hope nothing bad happens here on out &lt;knock on wood&gt;
Old 06-29-2004, 11:54 PM

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (Sucka Free)

"yeah thanks" (*tV*) SON LEE ......... like I couldnt think of that lol

come on "there has to be a way to play B-ball in the rain n Not get wet" *BEASTIE BOYS*(Hello nasty)
Old 06-30-2004, 12:10 AM

N by the way i enjoyed it more then my old street n drag full face ACT

if u power shift a 6 puck its like pullin the trigger on a 12 guage sawed off shot gun

Over kill but well worth it if i can work out a salution

IDEAS ....IDEAS......IDEAS.......IDEAS.....IDEAS????????

If there is no salution then i Might MIGHT consider swappin out the clutch but i don't believe for a min that I m am the first person that this has ever happened too. SO THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING U CAN DO.

COME ON WHERE THE PRO HONDA-TECHER's AT?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

6 pucks are deffinately overkill for daily driving. Too much stress on components and they will wear much quicker. My friends TT Supra running a 6 puck unsprung has only lasted about 12k miles.....lots of freeway driving too and no hard launches. He's going back to a full face.

A full face will be more driver friendly and if you choose the right combo for your setup, will grab just as hard.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:38 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">COME ON WHERE THE PRO HONDA-TECHER's AT?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude they ARE in here. The guys replying to you have been here forever (not that it means everything to be here forever) and know their ****.

Listen let me make my point even more clear:

My fiancee' has a 1992 Civic Si hatch with a B16A2 swap. In that swap is an ACT Xtreme Pressure plate mated to an ACT Modified Street disc - full face, 6 springs, etc.

That car has had that swap in it for about 3.5 years now, and the clutch in it came with the engine that was in my friend's car before we got it. He took his car to strip a few times, used to street race, etc.

Since we've had it it has seen it's fair share of had driving, auto Xing, etc.

Not ONCE have we EVER had a single clutch or tranny problem yet. This ****** still grabs hard enough to bark 2nd and even 3rd gears on some pretty sticky 195/50/15 Michelin Pilot SX-GT tires too!

Now let's look at my own personal "race" car. I have a B18C5 swap with a Type R tranny.

I installed a 6-puck, sprung hub clutch disc and double diaphram pressure plate from Cluthnet a year and a half ago.

Since then I've destroyed THREE final drive assemblies! THREE!!! One was a hella expensive ATS 4.929FD unit!

I also broke the tranny case where the front mount bolts to it too. Yep you guessed it, because of the puck clutch and it's crazy-*** lock-up.

I also have broken 3 axles IN HALF.

Something else that nobody mentioned was that puck style clutches actually destroy your flywheel too. You will wear out your flywheel before you wear out the clutch disc!

Now don't get me wrong. The puck clutch was fun before I realized it was the root of my tranny problems. I took my car to the strip twice, and each time launched out at 8000rpm or so side-stepping the clutch on 20'' M/T **** slicks and the clutch never whimpered. Hell I've still got the disc - it looks like it has years of driving left for it.

But the price you pay for a hard locking clutch is too high - period.

I have since gotten smart and I purchased a stock ITR disc with a new double diaphram pressure plate. The pedal is still just as stiff, and it grabs hard as ****, but it's actually drivable and doesn't chatter at all like my old 6 puck did. No more having to modulate the clutch pedal and gas just to back up without nearly destroying the tranny/axles.

So in closing I have spent at least $3,500.00 on tranny parts and a brand new tranny (ITR now) just because I too thought that the clutch type disc was soooo cool. Hell I've also paid about $200.00 in tow bills from being stranded each time a final drive or axle broke too.

I'll be back with links and/or pictures to stories each time I broke an axle, final drive, etc.
Old 06-30-2004, 04:52 AM
Former Moderator

Ahhh yes here's what your precious 6-puck clutch will do to your ****:

HEY! Where did these come from?

OH! Here's where they came from!

And perhaps this isn't good either?

How about another view of the ATS ring gear?

So now here's my new ATS combo - wouldn't it be like a 0.00 FD since the pinion shaft has no teeth?

Oh, and how's that clutch doing?

Jeez notice the clutch disc looked barely worn! Who would have thought?

So that's just ONE time I brone a final drive. That time it costed me $600.00 or so (the value of the ATS final drive) and about $800.00 in parts to rebuild the tranny including all new bearings, seals, and a replacement stock 4.400 final drive.

Keep in mind I did this three times with the puck clutch, and the last time I did it it was so bad that I had to buy a brand new tranny from Acura.
Old 06-30-2004, 05:01 AM
Former Moderator

Here's a shitty pic of the first stock 4.400 final drive I broke:

I thought it was just shitty luck then. I purchased the ATS 4.929FD to replace it, thinking I had actually gotten "lucky" to have broken my first final drive and replace it with a better one.

I wished I knew then what I know now...

It's not too late for you my friend!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How long did it take for the tranny to go bad after installing that clutch? Was it like normal everyday driving, or dumping it 20 times a weekend at the autox/drag strip?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:08 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (jolt-tsp)

Jesus tom
Old 06-30-2004, 06:18 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Jesus tom </TD></TR></TABLE>

deyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamm.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:19 AM
New User

Good lord. I've got the CM Stage 4 in my Spec-R tranny - Got me worried!
Old 06-30-2004, 08:08 AM

is smashing ur fd's like that with that clutch normal or is it just u drive ur car like crazy? or what? or is it a flaw on the ITR trannies?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is smashing ur fd's like that with that clutch normal or is it just u drive ur car like crazy? or what? or is it a flaw on the ITR trannies?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well let's look at it this way:

I've driven the B16A2-powered hatchback proably more than my own Silver hatchback. I've driven it hard, if not harder, than my own car more so than my own car for longer.

Having said that again I must say that I've never had any problems with her car - ever.

Out of the three broken final drives, two of them saw dragstrip time. Neither broke at the dragstrip or really any time close to my trips to the dragstrip.

Also I'm not the only person to have broken a final drive with a 6-puck clutch.

Old 06-30-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also my puck clutch was sprung hub, which is *supposed* to help with the chatter, but it's all bullshit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My understanding is that you are actually more likely to have chatter with a sprung hub than an unsprung hub.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:22 AM
New User

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (degooser)

Piggs, listen to Tom.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (kommon_sense)

this six puck clutch thing would explain alot about my last tranny and the problems i had...

UGH
Old 06-30-2004, 08:24 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the **** (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My understanding is that you are actually more likely to have chatter with a sprung hub than an unsprung hub.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tis true. I heard this from ACT Man himself. That is why ACT doesn't even offer a sprung hub clutch disc.

Regardless the puck clutches are too much for a street driven daily driver car IMO. They are on-off and require too much bullshit to drive smoothly. If you cannot let anyone else drive your car for fear of them not being able to take off then you have a problem.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also as your pics show, the more aggressive the clutch, the harder it is on the rest of the drivetrain. Unless someone like replacing axles, engine mounts, final drives, tranny cases, etc., then the clutch needs to be the weakest link in the system.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:32 AM

well i guess i will re think my 6 puck unsprung until i get some more money...

especially since im not getting a crazy motor setup....

full face it is for me..

Quick Reply: 6 PUCK unsprung clutch n stock pressor plate is the sh!t