Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight?

I have two civics, a 97 EX and a 2000 HX.....the weight difference is so different that I don't think I would ever give up the lack of weight in my vehicle (HX). And the difference is only an estimated 150 lbs.
Do you guys feel the same way?

[Modified by Spade, 11:30 AM 5/23/2002]
Old 05-23-2002, 10:34 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (Spade)

I stay with my car because:
a. IMHO, it's the best body style honda ever conceived.
b. It's paid in full.
c. My insurance is $70 monthly for full coverage.
d. B18C1
Old 05-23-2002, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (Spade)

i stuck with my car for 2 reasons.

my black 95 LS was heavy...

i couldn't afford an EK at that time...

Old 05-23-2002, 10:37 AM

I stay with mine because I think that it is the most proportional body style that honda has created. The weight is cool too, but last on the list. Timeless design, IMO.

5th gen civic hatch gets a
Old 05-23-2002, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (4g4me)

I just like this style hatch. If I wasn't driving my 95 hatch, I'd probably be driving a 4th gen CRX.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (4g4me)

mmm,civic hatchback…. I mine…. both of 'em! I also have a tweaked/modded GSR sedan. Yes I drive my hatch almost every day even with the CX motor still in there…Why?
1) great gas mileage
2) superior handling
3) stealthy car for the performance it offers
4) cheap to insure
5) incredible feedback since it is so light and bare (no power anything)

I notice a huge improvement in feedback and handling when changing rides to the Civic from my Integra. The Civic offers a raw/bare bones "back-to-my-roots" driving experience that I prefer a lot more compared to the Integra… even if the Teg is hella fast (gsr w/mods), nimble (ITR susp), loud (N1) and beautiful (lip+cf hood). There is NO question which car I like driving more. Imagine how much better the civic will be when I get a B series in it
Old 05-23-2002, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (owen_the_soyboy)

That is my whole point.....don't the lighter civics seem more......"raw" just a strait I will get you there any way you want and not overly "comfortable" like the tegs (R excluded) and other cars out there?
Old 05-23-2002, 11:14 AM

Love that hatch of mine. It has a clean look and is a willing and able performer. Plus they're relatively cheap to maintain and even for a 10 year old car still looks pretty nice compare to all the newer egg-shaped cars.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I have two...

The hybrid I bought for weight and the easy swappability. It's a track-car only though.

I have my daily driver hatch because a hatchback is really practical. I like driving small cars, but need to carry stuff around as well. I've never driven a 6th gen, but have considered "trading up" at some point.

I'm an ex prelude owner who bought the car new and sold it a year later, taking a huge loss on aftermarket parts and depreciation. I just decided it was too damn heavy, had none of the "refinement" prelude owners pretend it has, and no matter what I did to it, I'd always get spanked by some hatch.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (JeffS)

I love the raw feeling of it. Get some solid engine mounts in that bad boy (with a swap ofcourse) and blip the throttle when you're at a stop....man it still gives me goosebumps everytime
Old 05-23-2002, 11:34 AM
New User

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (JeffS)

I'm an ex prelude owner who bought the car new and sold it a year later, taking a huge loss on aftermarket parts and depreciation. I just decided it was too damn heavy, had none of the "refinement" prelude owners pretend it has, and no matter what I did to it, I'd always get spanked by some hatch.
Amen.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (Guardson3r3)

1. It's cheap.
2. It's the best looking honda ever made IMO.
3. It's soo easy to do swaps, get parts, etc. You have an endless supply!
4. And last but most definitely not least, the light weight and raw, racecar-like feel. I never feel intimidated by anything on the street, and have no need for excuses like how my car is too heavy, or has A/C, or power steering, etc.

I loved my '95 EX coupe, but couldn't handle how heavy it was. I said I would never sell it, but guess what- I bought a hatch a few months ago, and sold the coupe yesterday! And I couldn't be happier! This hatch ROCKS!
Old 05-23-2002, 08:42 PM

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (JFK78)

The weight is the main reason I got the hatch. I had a 94' gsr, but it was just too heavy. Also the insurance rates are cheaper, and I just like the race car like feel.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have mine b/c

1. I traded in a 95 Ex cpe auto and wanted a stick
2. I can take 4 tires, cooler, floor jack, air tank, 2 foldout seats, 2 umbrellas, and there's still room, when I go racing
3. Cheap insurance.
4. Warranty till 100,000 miles (6,000 more to go)
Old 05-23-2002, 09:42 PM
New User

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (HS killa)

1) Looks great (best IMO)
2) B-series swaps in with Honda mounts
3) Every part of the car is upgradeable.
4) If you want to make the ultimate honda, a 92-95 is probably the best way.
5) As long as you don't have a Si, they are light as *****.
6) Can handle great with few mods
7) For such a small car, these things have tons of leg room in the front AND the back, plus with the seats down, you can carry mad **** in the hatch. It's just so versatile and great. If I were a college student and I wasn't into cars, an Si hatch would be the best car, cheap, affordable, easy to fix, spacions, economic. EG = best car evAR! lol lol

I my EG (EH2).
Old 05-23-2002, 09:47 PM

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (HS killa)

i used to have 99 si (one word= overrated ). then i bought a 98 hatch and swapped b18c but my friend w/ 5g hatch w/ the same engine/mods kept beating in every aspect (autox, straight, sideways). i sold the ek and bought EG, im beating him now since im a better driver!
Old 05-23-2002, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i loved it since it came out in 92, i own a 94 hb with an automatic dx motor. yes it's an automatic and yes it's a dx. but i still love it because that motor been through hell and back. I didn't change the oil for 8,000 miles and it still runs strong with bout 300 something to the tank. the other reason i love it is because i'll be getting a b18c1 soon and changing it to a manual. easy swap.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (NOPD)

I stay with 5th gen's because thier fun to drive... Far better then EK9's IMO... CRX is pretty fun too, only thing is 2seater...
Old 05-23-2002, 11:13 PM
New User

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (J TAM 128)

I just bought my cx yesterday basically because the same reasons everyone else has listed. I still have a 94 gsr that I went all motor on and love, but a low 14, high 13 second quarter just dont get me off. I really like the racecar feel and the body style too. B series swappability is killer as well. My goal for the cx is 11's stock block We will see if it can be done after I get the gsr sold.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:12 AM

I think I am the only person on this board with a budget of any type. I drive my 93 Civic DX hatch because it was only $4k...And there is a major surplus of spare parts lying around for this car.
Old 05-26-2002, 01:34 PM

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (ThunderLips)

Your not the only one with a budget. I could have got an EK, but it would have been like 2 grand more. I would rather get the lighter hatch, have all the b-series swap options, and use that extra 2 grand toward aftermarket parts.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:29 PM
Boba Connoisseur

This is probably the only Honda I will ever own. I'll probably never sell this car either. It'll get stolen or totalled, that's it.

It's the only car I've ever felt totally comfortable in, also. Maybe if I sit in another car and feel the same way I do in my EH3 I'll get a new car but I doubt that'll happen. Even Integras feel like crap to me.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:37 PM

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (SkyeC)

I really miss my 5th gen hatch. Now i have a 4th gen and would trade it any day for another 5th gen I love them so much! I lost my 92 cx on my b-day got hit by a Blazer. Sent the passenger side over 2 feet a total f**king loss!!!!!!Still brings a tear to my eye to talk about it. ohh well!!!

_Brandon_
Old 05-26-2002, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (ED6)

got mine because...
1) wrecked my CRX
2) my EG came from a family member who works at a race shop
3) it's a CX
4) it was cheap
5) it weighs nothing
6) you can fit just about any motor in it w/ little or no modifications
7) cheap insurance
8) EK hacthes are just fugly too me....oops, this should have been reason #1

jus my reasons and opinions
Old 05-26-2002, 04:55 PM

Default Re: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight? (buster13)

wow...i have a 92 civic pig (si)
i must admit i think the ek body style is just a little tighter than the eg....

i stay with mine, becuase i don't have the dough, i''m a student. money doesn't seem to like my pockets

Quick Reply: 5th Gen Hatch owners, Do you stay with your car because of the weight?