Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

5 lug

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 lug

ok I am looking to buy a 5 lug conversion for my ek anyone have any experience or info on where to buy it
Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 5 lug

You can try the Honda Marketplace, the link is at the bottom in the home page. But I'll just link you.

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/

Use the search button then if such item is not available you can open a thread and ask. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who needs five-lug

It doesn't make your handling better and the only wheels that really fit right are the OEM ones (offset 50).
Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try to find a US ITR or a CTR setup, the JDM ITR had 36mm axles so if you go that route you will have to get new axles as well. Also if you get a CTR setup the ebrake cables will work as long as you have a hatch or coupe. I don't know if there is a difference between teg and civic cables though, they might work as well. The difference in braking power was worth it for me, and the 16" DC2 wheels look perfect on an EK.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can mount 280mm brakes on the 4-lug too.

And 16' is too large for some (among which myself). You could mount the 15' ITR also, but then you'v had everything.

Besides, those things WEIGH, you have no idea.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kristo
Who needs five-lug

It doesn't make your handling better and the only wheels that really fit right are the OEM ones (offset 50).
No...but the braking is better and you don't have to put together a re-drilled rotor combination. So the ease of buying replacement parts is nice. You can go to a parts store and buy a rotor for a ITR and slap it on with a 5 lug. You'd have to have the same rotor machined to fit with a 4 lug.

Plus the 5 lug really looks nice. I loved mine...but I got it for $300 with wheels at a junk yard.

Also...you realize you can buy wheels with different widths/offsets, right?
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
If you like your wheels to have the correct offset like I do then the answer is no in this case.

Apart from the EK9 and ITR heavy weights I only know of the Emotion XT-7 rim that has offset 50 (and 45).

Not that offset 45 is thàt common but at least there is a small number of very nice rims with that offset.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by punkdown
Try to find a US ITR or a CTR setup, the JDM ITR had 36mm axles so if you go that route you will have to get new axles as well. Also if you get a CTR setup the ebrake cables will work as long as you have a hatch or coupe. I don't know if there is a difference between teg and civic cables though, they might work as well. The difference in braking power was worth it for me, and the 16" DC2 wheels look perfect on an EK.
indeed, you'll need the 97 Prelude S axles. they don't have to be brand new though.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 PM

If you like your wheels to have the correct offset like I do then the answer is no in this case.

Apart from the EK9 and ITR heavy weights I only know of the Emotion XT-7 rim that has offset 50 (and 45).

Not that offset 45 is thàt common but at least there is a small number of very nice rims with that offset.

There are decent amount of wheels available in a 15x6.5 or 15X7 +40 to +50 range. +50? Why +50? IIRC, OEM wheels are 15x6 +45. Why is that the "proper" offset? You can widen the stance of the car by going with a smaller offset.

15x6 +50 is WEAK.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who needs five-lug

i don't follow this, not even a little bit. care to elaborate?

No...but the braking is better and you don't have to put together a re-drilled rotor combination. So the ease of buying replacement parts is nice. You can go to a parts store and buy a rotor for a ITR and slap it on with a 5 lug. You'd have to have the same rotor machined to fit with a 4 lug.

Plus the 5 lug really looks nice. I loved mine...but I got it for $300 with wheels at a junk yard.

truth.

Originally Posted by redlinetuning
indeed, you'll need the 97 Prelude S axles. they don't have to be brand new though.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/how-make-jdm-itr-36mm-5-lug-conversions-work-secret-its-very-easy-2186203/

^ write-up on making JDM ITR hubs work with USDM axles, requires a bit of time and elbow grease, but it's just another way to make it work.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All Civic (from 92?) up untill 2003 (edm) are standard offset 45 except ek9 (50). ITR is 50.

Why stick to that? Because if you change that you degrade your ride. I'm not going to get into that because I'm fed up with repeating it. There's plenty about it on the net if you want.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 AM

lol why would it degrade your ride, though? Because of the added bumpsteer? Have you ever had wider/lower offset wheels on a car or are you just going by generic information that you've read?

You'd have to go RIDICULOUSLY wide or low offset to affect bumpsteer or load transfer to the point where it's detremental. Something like 8'' wide with a +38 offset is still fine. There are autocrossers that use 8'' wide 0 offset wheels....

I have 15X7 +40s on my car right now. There's really not any more noticeable bumpsteer than with the stock wheels. It definately didn't degrade anything.

I'm just not sure where you're going with the whole "degrade your ride" thing.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Think of it what you will.

Why would changing anything to the suspension (geometry) affect ride characteristics in any way, right?

Yes I'v had ET40 and did notice the diff with oem ET45 wheels.

It's less about bumpsteer but more with the fact that if you change offset you change the front wheel's rotating point. Surely you can picture this, and see that if you change offset you change the manner in which the wheel turns, having negative effect on handling.

I'm sure you'r capable of finding out more on this technically on the net, I don't immediately have english pages on this by hand, and I'm not going to look specifically for them, nor am I going further into it, as stated above.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BABLWBAELFSHA WUUUT 300!?????? lol I need to find a junkyard like that.. There is ABSOLUTLY none around here that have ne car worth 2 *****.. just american cars.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
BABLWBAELFSHA WUUUT 300!?????? lol I need to find a junkyard like that.. There is ABSOLUTLY none around here that have ne car worth 2 *****.. just american cars.
lol it also came with a Si cluster ($30), carbing cooling plate (free), CTR boot ($10), JDM ITR sedan rear seat (free), etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on and on with what I found on just that one car. It was apparently a theft recovery...

what kind of thief takes the engine and front seats and leaves EVERYTHING else behind. There was thousands of dollars of stuff on that car...including skunk2 sleeves and a lot of other stuff not mentioned. The car was being brought into the yard as I got there (lucky break). lol all I was looking for was GSR brakes. I couldn't find any and I was getting mad because I ALWAYS see Integras/Civic EXes there.

My friend saw a champ white EM1 being lowered down into the yard. I thought it was just a EX. We went over...and there was a GSR next to it. I was just going to take the brakes from the GSR. Then...I looked closer at the EM1 and counted 5 lugs. lol...we stripped that car in about an hour after I found out everything that was on it. We found the CW wheels in the crushing section with "spoon" written all over them in white paint marker LOL. The guy gave them to me with the OEM CTR tires for $100. The 5 lug spindles and other misc parts were ~$200.

I've also found a 5 lug for my S13 ($200 even though they pulled it for me), a ITR rear bar ($20), an EM1 with the suspension/sway bar intact, a 99 Miata with LSD, numerous rear disk conversions for $50ish. Whole GSR brake conversions for $75. etc. etc. etc....I could go on for days. I guess I'm just in the right places at the right times. I kinda sorta know a guy at one of the yards too. So that helps a lot on pricing. I'm good at B.S.ing with people and getting to be pseudo friends with them, I guess.

Think of it what you will.

Why would changing anything to the suspension (geometry) affect ride characteristics in any way, right?

Yes I'v had ET40 and did notice the diff with oem ET45 wheels.

It's less about bumpsteer but more with the fact that if you change offset you change the front wheel's rotating point. Surely you can picture this, and see that if you change offset you change the manner in which the wheel turns, having negative effect on handling.

I'm sure you'r capable of finding out more on this technically on the net, I don't immediately have english pages on this by hand, and I'm not going to look specifically for them, nor am I going further into it, as stated above.

I really think that you've over analyzing it. What you felt with a 5mm difference in offsets was probably psychological. I'm in engineering school so I can picture what you're saying. I just don't buy it. But hey whatever.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so anyone else flying out to illinois with me? there's a salvage yard i think i need to sleep outside of until i get lucky too hahahaha

good finds, B serious the only thing in our PA junkyards is DSMs
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cheaper [and easier] yet would be a fastbrakes adapter kit... uses integra calipers and corrado rotors. i *think* it's 11", but i haven't measured in years.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM

I've said it before...but anything that's even meant for a Corrado will probably set your car on fire just because it was meant to go on a Corrado. .
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol it also came with a Si cluster ($30), carbing cooling plate (free), CTR boot ($10), JDM ITR sedan rear seat (free), etc. etc. etc. I could go on and on and on with what I found on just that one car. It was apparently a theft recovery...

what kind of thief takes the engine and front seats and leaves EVERYTHING else behind. There was thousands of dollars of stuff on that car...including skunk2 sleeves and a lot of other stuff not mentioned. The car was being brought into the yard as I got there (lucky break). lol all I was looking for was GSR brakes. I couldn't find any and I was getting mad because I ALWAYS see Integras/Civic EXes there.

My friend saw a champ white EM1 being lowered down into the yard. I thought it was just a EX. We went over...and there was a GSR next to it. I was just going to take the brakes from the GSR. Then...I looked closer at the EM1 and counted 5 lugs. lol...we stripped that car in about an hour after I found out everything that was on it. We found the CW wheels in the crushing section with "spoon" written all over them in white paint marker LOL. The guy gave them to me with the OEM CTR tires for $100. The 5 lug spindles and other misc parts were ~$200.

I've also found a 5 lug for my S13 ($200 even though they pulled it for me), a ITR rear bar ($20), an EM1 with the suspension/sway bar intact, a 99 Miata with LSD, numerous rear disk conversions for $50ish. Whole GSR brake conversions for $75. etc. etc. etc....I could go on for days. I guess I'm just in the right places at the right times. I kinda sorta know a guy at one of the yards too. So that helps a lot on pricing. I'm good at B.S.ing with people and getting to be pseudo friends with them, I guess.
I would go insane seeing such parts at a junkyard for you to purchase as such prices.....
Old 08-05-2009, 06:32 PM

lol my friend was pretty mad. He had bought a 5 lug the week before with wheels and tires for $1200 or whatever it was.

I think I have a 6th sense or something. I remember telling him that morning, "dude, I'm going to go to the junkyard and I'm gonna find a type R."

He said "yeah, right, F you."

I came back with a car stuffed full of crazy ****. You should have seen the look on his face.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really think that you've over analyzing it. What you felt with a 5mm difference in offsets was probably psychological. I'm in engineering school so I can picture what you're saying. I just don't buy it. But hey whatever.

Well I just want to throw up out of jelousy now... lol That is an INSANE crazy lucky day .. That would be like one of my dreams but then i would wake up. nice find!!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who needs five-lug

Well, if you want to swamp an engine with more power like say an H22A and better braking then I would do a 5 lug conversion which I'm thinking of doing on my EM1 if I have time.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2KElectronVTECSi
Well, if you want to swamp an engine with more power like say an H22A and better braking then I would do a 5 lug conversion which I'm thinking of doing on my EM1 if I have time.
5 lug = better for more power? does not compute.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM

He means for braking power.

Yes. We know. You can do the same thing with peiced together systems also.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 AM

what junk yard nd where ? that is dumb cheap lol..

Quick Reply: 5 lug