Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

4 puck, 6 puck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 puck, 6 puck?

ok so im looking into getting an act clutch and i wanna know the difference between the 4 puck and 6 puck and first of all puck means pads correct?? which one should i get for my stock z6?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, i believe the 4puck is more extreme than the 6puck, think about it. say its 2000lb clamp force......if it clamps down on less surface space, thats more PSI on that exact spot, so its gonna grab harder. ive got a 6puck unsprung on my turbo d16z6. i love it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 puck, 6 puck? (Midori Green)

For a stock Z6? Haha, maybe the Exedy organic stage 1.

But really, for real? What are your plans for the car? If you plan on this being your daily with a stock motor, I would advise against it. You can only unleash so much response in a stock single slam.

EDIT: It's not my place to tell you what to do, but I'm just giving my suggestion.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: 4 puck, 6 puck? (BlackoutVTi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackoutVTi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For a stock Z6? Haha, maybe the Exedy organic stage 1.

But really, for real? What are your plans for the car? If you plan on this being your daily with a stock motor, I would advise against it. You can only unleash so much response in a stock single slam.

EDIT: It's not my place to tell you what to do, but I'm just giving my suggestion.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i am also looking into the exedy stage 1 my plans are just to get a racing clutch for now cuz i beat the **** out of my z6 and im just gonna throw bolt-ons on it before i swap and sell it to one of my friends or something but i need a clutch for now cuz my stock clutch is bad and i want something that has a racing type feel as corny as it sounds... dont they do the same thing???? well the act is more expensive tho
Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just read you're in NY too. 6 puck clutches are a killer in traffic dude. You should look more into how tough it will actually be to kick in a six/four puck clutch before you dive into it, or you may be losing patience with it, justs out of the pure inconvenience. And since you're going to swap it soon, I'd suggest the cheaper option.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:17 PM
B A N N E D

well if you talking that route...Ebay has some brand...ummm....... XTD. heard they are nice clutches, and VERY cheap. matter fact ima find one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1

thats a stage 3, here is a stage 1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1
Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a xtreme ACT pressure plate with a street disk on my LS-V, it is enough! if you got a stock engine any stage 1 set up will be best.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (DecentCivicZ6)

i dont like that xtd clutch at all.... havent heard much about it but its not on my list so most likely i will buy the exedy... but damn my friend had the act 4 puck and that thing was a montser... the grip was crazy felt sooo good actually felt like the car gained more torque
Old 07-10-2007, 08:22 PM
B A N N E D

ive heard good about it, its the same pad material as the others. you arent gonna hurt it with a stock engine, or modified. 1/4 of the price to. but thats cool.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (DecentCivicZ6)

what do you think about resurfacing my flywheel while im in there replacing the clutch? because im not gonna buy a new flywheel for a motor im going to get rid of in the future
Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Midori Green)

Screw it. You're getting rid of it soon, just save the money for a lightweight flywheel for your B series.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hit up the performance marketplace for Exedy OEM replacement clutches. I think one sponsor quoted me 115 shipped for the kit. If you car is stock there is no sense in busting your calves and ***.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your car is stock, get the ACT HDSS clutch. The 4puck, and 6 puck are unsprung and you will not like it if it is a daily driver.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 4 puck, 6 puck? (99_EM_one)

go with a stage 1
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM
B A N N E D

yeah, i can vouche for that...my 6puck unsprung about gave me an ingrown toenail..lol, ***** ***** be ******* my toes up that PSI is so strong.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont like that xtd clutch at all.... havent heard much about it but its not on my list so most likely i will buy the exedy... but damn my friend had the act 4 puck and that thing was a montser... the grip was crazy felt sooo good actually felt like the car gained more torque</TD></TR></TABLE>

It definetly did not gain any torque. If you drive in traffic alot dont waste your money you will just chew up the clutch quicker. When you use a 4 or 6 puck clutch there is almost no slipping so diving in traffic can be a bitch. I use an exedy stage 2, its a 6 puck and thats more than enough.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It definetly did not gain any torque. If you drive in traffic alot dont waste your money you will just chew up the clutch quicker. When you use a 4 or 6 puck clutch there is almost no slipping so diving in traffic can be a bitch. I use an exedy stage 2, its a 6 puck and thats more than enough. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i believe i said it FEELS like it gained torque but obviously it did not... i'll just go with the exedy stage 1 but im also looking to resurface my flywheel because the racing shop by my house says its a good idea and yes i know they are just trying to sell the resurfacing becuase i am a mechanic myself but still i think i wanna do that
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i believe i said it FEELS like it gained torque but obviously it did not... i'll just go with the exedy stage 1 but im also looking to resurface my flywheel because the racing shop by my house says its a good idea and yes i know they are just trying to sell the resurfacing becuase i am a mechanic myself but still i think i wanna do that</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're not trying to sell you anything. You really do need to resurface or replace the flywheel to have a smooth surface so the clutch grabs and wears properly.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so im looking into getting an act clutch and i wanna know the difference between the 4 puck and 6 puck and first of all puck means pads correct?? which one should i get for my stock z6?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you keeping it stock, cause then I would say 4 or 6 is over kill.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They're not trying to sell you anything. You really do need to resurface or replace the flywheel to have a smooth surface so the clutch grabs and wears properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats exactly what i was thinking... thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 06:13 PM

Well this is kinda a random response. But i was told "a 4 puck can overtime ruin your rod bearings due to excessive chattering when engaging the clutch" sounds legit but i dunno. My buddy has the act streetlite flywheel act xtreme pressure plate with the 4 puck disc. It grabs real hard but it is definitly not for a stock or close to stock single cam. His gsr even drives like **** with the setup. It chatters in the gsr no matter what. So its just a little of my own experience to help guide your way through this mecha of clutch advice
Old 07-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Midori Green &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont like that xtd clutch at all.... havent heard much about it but its not on my list so most likely i will buy the exedy... </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahahaha..... dude i normally laugh at people for sayin stuff pretty funny, but in ur case im laughing because that was the most unknowledgable and probably also one of the most stupid things i have ever read in my existance as a human being... you totally dont like something that you totally dont know about haha... I mean i kno everyone has their own preference and what not, but c'mon man u cant be serious.... thats like u saying you hate lesbians, but never knew one... i bet if u rode in my neighbors type r with 6puck sprung xtd clutch, you'd not know the difference between an Exedy or ACT clutch... dont criticize on something that you dont know about, because if that dude is looking at XTD clutches, obviously he's tryna save a couple bucks.. and with them coming with a lifetime warranty, just like other high end performance clutches, an half of the price, id say "give it a shot" to anyone who offered that... i know plenty of people running on ebay parts that are putting up numbers that are very satisfying... to the OP, dont pay attention to george jetson over there, XTDs from all the info i KNOW FIRST HAND, those will grab an ride just as tight as most other more expensive clutches..

Edit: a 6 puck sprung xtd on a stock single cam will hold up fine, it will just be quite a different ride/feel than stock or slightly modified....
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: (JDM_SOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hahahahahaha..... dude i normally laugh at people for sayin stuff pretty funny, but in ur case im laughing because that was the most unknowledgable and probably also one of the most stupid things i have ever read in my existance as a human being... you totally dont like something that you totally dont know about haha... I mean i kno everyone has their own preference and what not, but c'mon man u cant be serious.... thats like u saying you hate lesbians, but never knew one... i bet if u rode in my neighbors type r with 6puck sprung xtd clutch, you'd not know the difference between an Exedy or ACT clutch... dont criticize on something that you dont know about, because if that dude is looking at XTD clutches, obviously he's tryna save a couple bucks.. and with them coming with a lifetime warranty, just like other high end performance clutches, an half of the price, id say "give it a shot" to anyone who offered that... i know plenty of people running on ebay parts that are putting up numbers that are very satisfying... to the OP, dont pay attention to george jetson over there, XTDs from all the info i KNOW FIRST HAND, those will grab an ride just as tight as most other more expensive clutches..

Edit: a 6 puck sprung xtd on a stock single cam will hold up fine, it will just be quite a different ride/feel than stock or slightly modified....</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm yea thanks but i dont believe I criticized the XTD clutch i just simply said i dont give 2 ***** about it at all even tho i only know thats its a cheap alternative and similar to the other clutches and by the way i have my mind set on 2 clutches and thats not one of them so i dont give a flying expletive how good it is on your boys type r becuase i have a single so thats not exactly a good example
Old 07-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a brand new competition six puck clutch for sale stage 4 sprung barely useed less than 300 miles i have reciept i paid 380 for it ill sell it for 300 obo

pressure plate and clutch of 300 damn
Old 07-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94eg5squadMD)

Do not go with a 6 puck if its a daily driver because you will get so fusturated in traffic and if its just for simple bolt-ons than do a stage 1 organic exedy. The Exedy is a great clutch and supports up to 200whp i believe.

Quick Reply: 4 puck, 6 puck?