Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2004 civic ex coupe performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 civic ex coupe performance?

I am thinking of getting a 2004 civic ex coupe as a daily driver but I wanted to know what the performance and handeling capabilities are. I am interested in modding it as well, with basice bolt ons and minor suspension mods. What is available, what is good, and how dose it perform. Also keep in mind that I am in germany and will be running on the autobahn almost on a daily basis, but this will be a us spec car. Does it have a fuel cut? If so when (mph)? Is there anyone who reprograms ecu's for the model to eliminate the fuel cut? How does the apex'i v-afc interact with the iVTEC? thanks in advane for all your inputs.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:36 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: 2004 civic ex coupe performance? (rexracer07)

OK, the fuel cut is at 125mph for the EX.
The VAFC does work - what do you mean how does it interact.

Don't get any perfromance mods, maybe an intake just to hear the kitten purr.
But hey it's your car.
As for suspension goes...
Since the dc5 is almsot the same chasis as the 7thgen civics you can steal some parts off them...

DC5R rear sway bar with bushings fits directly.
I would go with the Tein S techs as for springs.
Spoon makes a rear lower tie for the dc5. - It will fit.
You got your choices of front upper and lower ties and rear upper ties which will help reduce chsis movement. - I used to run DC Sports, I liked em.
There are a few short throw kits out, I hear REVO makes a good one for the 7thgen.
I sold my 7thgen a while back and at the moment there were no reflashing of the ECU - maybe times have changed.

Oh and if you want a really cool project attempt the DC5 rear brake conversion, I think you'll need it at 125mph careful....

You can find more info on your car at (beware of idiots) and good luck:
http://www.7thgencivic.com
Old 04-25-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: 2004 civic ex coupe performance? (Louie_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Louie_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, the fuel cut is at 125mph for the EX.
The VAFC does work - what do you mean how does it interact.

Don't get any perfromance mods, maybe an intake just to hear the kitten purr.
But hey it's your car.
As for suspension goes...
Since the dc5 is almsot the same chasis as the 7thgen civics you can <U>steal</U> some parts off them...

DC5R rear sway bar with bushings fits directly.
I would go with the Tein S techs as for springs.
Spoon makes a rear lower tie for the dc5. - It will fit.
You got your choices of front upper and lower ties and rear upper ties which will help reduce chsis movement. - I used to run DC Sports, I liked em.
There are a few short throw kits out, I hear REVO makes a good one for the 7thgen.
I sold my 7thgen a while back and at the moment there were no reflashing of the ECU - maybe times have changed.

Oh and if you want a really cool project attempt the DC5 rear brake conversion, I think you'll need it at 125mph careful....

You can find more info on your car at (beware of idiots) and good luck:
http://www.7thgencivic.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

probably not what your meant, but watch it.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: 2004 civic ex coupe performance? (Louie_EM1)

thanks for the help. What i ment about the v-afc was how well it worked this whole iVTEC thing is new to me. I have also heard that a v-afc will eliminate your fuel cut is this true?
Old 04-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Louie_EM1

Default Re: 2004 civic ex coupe performance? (rexracer07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rexracer07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the help. What i ment about the v-afc was how well it worked this whole iVTEC thing is new to me. I have also heard that a v-afc will eliminate your fuel cut is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>
No, a VTEC is just air/fuel controller it doesn't have anything to do with the ECU other than that. Well it can check sensors and some can get voltage and such but the point I am trying to get at is it is not an engine mangaement system, simply air/fuel - You get what you pay for though.
The VAFC works with the ivtec but you won't feel gains without some tuning.
Once again I must say it's not worth tuning the car I mean with what? An intake and exhaust?
VAFC sucks on D series with minor bolt ones, sorry to say it's the truth.
Suspension on that car is fun as hell to do, perfroamnce isn't worth it man.
I can't emphasize enough, I used to own a 2001 EX and I spent mucho bucks on it and I regret it.

Get some upper/rear sways tie rods front and rear strut bars, get the full tein basic coilover system with EDFC get some nice rims and you're set dude.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Save up for a k20a1/2 swap or SF Turbo, the d17 doesn't respond to bolt-ons at all.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:12 AM
illicon2003

the weight on those tanks are unacceptable
Old 04-25-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (illicon2003)

me fail english? thats unpossible