Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 SI grinding sound no clue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 SI grinding sound no clue

So I was driving to work today and everything was fine til about half way there. I switched lanes and then I heard like a metal grinding sound coming from the drivers side. I stuck my head out the window to see if it was from the motor or underneath. I figured out it was coming from the brakes. It sounds like something resting on the rotor to me but I am not sure. I got off the exit and when I hit the brakes the sound stopped. When I let off the brakes it would come back. I got to work and just looked to see if my brake pads were low, they look almost brand new. I got off work and drove home and it was intermittant. I did notice that when I would turn the wheel sometimes it would go away. So I am not sure what it could be. I am not really good with brakes besides just changing the pads. The rotors are not rusty and no marks on them. I did notice that the shield thing that is behind the rotors looks a little bent but it is not touching them. Anyone have any ideas? I was going to take the wheel off friday and see if I can find anything rubbing but the fact that it is not all the time throws me off on what exactly to look for. Ideas on what I should look for? Remember to explain like I am an infant because I am when it comes to brakes lol
I was worried that I could be the hub or something like that and the wheel will fall off while im driving, is that possible even
Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 2000 SI grinding sound no clue

pull the wheels off and have a look , sometimes road debri/rocks ect etc can get lodged in there
Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Trial User

Sometimes the metal hardware that comes with new brake pads will brake and rub on the rotor?

Also check the inside of your wheel and see if there are any marks. Ive had a bold vibrate out of my caliper and when I'd let off the brakes it would move and rub the inside of the rim.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Trial User

^bolt not bold
Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your wheel bearings. Jack up the car and grab your tire on the top and bottom then give it a good shake, it if jiggles you have a bad wheel bearing.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the wheel bearing is bad, what could happen if I continue to drive on it? Just because I have to work the next few days and I wont actually be able to take a look til friday. I drive highways and when it comes to wheel and or brake stuff it always worries me. Should I get my girls car and just drive that til I get a chance to take a look and see if the wheel wiggles?
Originally Posted by thenext
Check your wheel bearings. Jack up the car and grab your tire on the top and bottom then give it a good shake, it if jiggles you have a bad wheel bearing.
I have read that the caliper bolt does come loose with time, I tried to feel around the back to see if I could feel anything but I cant. I cant really look from underneath til I jack it up because the car is pretty low to the ground.

Would debris sound like metal on metal though? I looked to see if there were any marks on the inner rims, but nothing.
You know those annoying bugs in the summer called cicadas. They make that loud whining sound. It sounds like that when I drive with the windows down.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So today I managed to make time and jack up the car and take the wheel off. Before I took the wheel completely off I spun the wheel to see if I could hear it. There was a spot while turning it that it got a little tight. I also tried to wiggle the wheel but it did not have any movement.
I took the wheel off and looked to see if anything was hitting or rubbing. I did not see anything. I spun the hub with the wheel off and it got hung up on a spot. Does this mean that I need to replace the hub bearing? It does not turn easily and you can kinda hear a rubbing sound.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:01 AM
20% cooler

We have cicadas around here too, "zeeeeee-oohh-weeee-oooh-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-oh-wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" all night. I have had a bad wheel bearing/hub before and I had to drive on it till it almost fell off and it is sounding exactly like what I was experiencing. That is weird you aren't experiencing any play, it could possibly not be that bad YET. If I didn't have one go bad, I would say it is something else but I really think in my heart of hearts that is what it is. Here is why I am going to diagnose it as a wheel bearing/hub:
1. Squeel when SWITCHING LANES
2. Cicada noise
3. Intermittent
4. Brake pads aren't down to the wear indicator

I am just an entry level tech but I can't think of anything else it would be.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I bought the car it had a 5 lug conversion already done to it. I am not really sure but I have found that its hard to just replace the bearing, you have to do the entire hub? Is this correct? I dont know what type of 5 lug the guy put on and I dont want to switch back to 4 lug since i have type r rims on it and i like the way they look.
Originally Posted by thenext
We have cicadas around here too, "zeeeeee-oohh-weeee-oooh-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-oh-wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" all night. I have had a bad wheel bearing/hub before and I had to drive on it till it almost fell off and it is sounding exactly like what I was experiencing. That is weird you aren't experiencing any play, it could possibly not be that bad YET. If I didn't have one go bad, I would say it is something else but I really think in my heart of hearts that is what it is. Here is why I am going to diagnose it as a wheel bearing/hub:
1. Squeel when SWITCHING LANES
2. Cicada noise
3. Intermittent
4. Brake pads aren't down to the wear indicator

I am just an entry level tech but I can't think of anything else it would be.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
20% cooler

Correct, you have to replace the hub assembly as a whole.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpin4abeat
When I bought the car it had a 5 lug conversion already done to it. I am not really sure but I have found that its hard to just replace the bearing, you have to do the entire hub? Is this correct?
Front you just replace the bearing, the rear is the whole hub. For the rear use an ITR hub assembly. For the front if the axle nut is 32mm use an ITR wheel bearing, if it's 36mm use a '97 - '01 CR-V wheel bearing.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the difference between the front and the rear? I have disc all around and the hubs look the same. It is the front on mine. I tried today to wiggle the wheel. There is no play if the grab the top and bottom but if I grab the sides and wiggle it, there is a little bit of play. I spun the wheel and I notice there is a little grab in one location while spinning. I did this all with the caliper still on, does that make a difference? How hard is it to replace the bearing in the front? I do not have a press but removal can be done without it and take it somewhere to press it in?
Old 08-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sound like somthing is hitting the backing plate if it was a wheel bearing it would not go away and would make a noise that is more offen described as a humming noise. so check the backing plate for shinny scratch
Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ **** happen to me alot my backing plate bents and hits the rotor
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See if your calipers are sticking/rotors are warped.

I've replaced 3 wheel bearings...they all hum, not scrape.

You can remove the front knuckle and take it to a machine shop to press out/in the bearing. But I still don't think it's your wheel bearing.