Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

200 hp single cam ALL ENGINE..........

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Having Bisi do what he does is a double edged sword though.

On one hand is shows us that there is much more potential and output from the formerly discarded SOHC engines.

On the other hand noobies and SOHC ***** cite his numbers and accomplishments as if it's routine around the globe.

"Well if you think the D15 is such a crap engine tell that to Bisi who ran 10's with his..."

I know the results could be duplicated by Bisi time and time again, but the rest of us? Not too sure about that. I know a regular shadetree guy with limited knowledge can drop a B18C1 GS-R swap in his car in a weekend and get a decent 150whp. I can't say that same shadetree could do the same with a SOHC N/A build, because there's so much more that has to be done other than just dropping a stock B series in it.

Bisi how much would you charge someone if you took a D series engine and built it to the 200whp mark as you've done before? CNC head work, cam, build, etc. etc. Is this a carb'd set-up too? i know you know how to tune carbs, but I can't think of anyone off hand in GA that could retune or tune such a set-up since everything is EFI these days.

I mean if building a 200whp SOHC were as easy as building a 200whp DOHC you know there'd be many more dyno charts than the one or two that Bisi can conjure up.

If anything it's a testament to Bisi's ability to extract maximum hp from such a diminutive engine.

I know omniman knows how easy a 200whp B engine is

Didn't you build a stock bottom B16A that hit the 200whp mark? How does that story go?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

And that's my point exactly.

Also, a carbed setup is the best way to go if ur going for numbers like that - but carbs lower daily drivability because they're not as efficient with fuel (so ur economy numbers fall through the floor), and you usually have a rather high idle due to the cam profiling. Not to mention replacing the valve springs every 20k because titanium deforms faster.

As I said in my last post, 130 or so is reasonable goal with a good amount (LS to B16's worth) of head work and breathing work done to the car, but for the full 200 anchelata, you need to sacrifice daily drivability and more importantly, fuel economy. If that's the case, you're better off going for a V6 or V8, an engine that isn't pushed as hard to make those numbers. 200 is great for what bisi does - laying down huge HP #'s, breaking records, in both power and time, and regardless, it's nowhere near practical for a daily. Now granted you only need 140 or so to hang with a B16 and you can remain semi-practical with that - it simply begs the question of if you can build a D16 to beat a B16 for less than the cost of a B16 swap. The answer is usually yes, but due to lack of knowledge of engines and "advanced" work, most people don't.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FV-QR (Bisimoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bisimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL...I know Ricky from Industrial Performance (he was my team crew member for 2 seasons), and that set up never hit anywhere near 200whp. It was an attempt to replicate our efforts without success.

The only street setup to do it existed in my CRX, and here is a dyno chart to prove it:

Key elements: Bisimoto Spec head porting, level 3 hardwelded camshaft, induction and proper tuning.

BTW, Eagle does not make custom rods, and custom length rods do not increase stroke! </TD></TR></TABLE>

what o you guys do to increase cam lobe size?
i heard to do it you just padweld it up then hardface it ..... hardface SMAW rod?

and is it true that Flux core is better for that? sory i just heard about that and i wanted to try it
Old 08-14-2008, 03:23 PM

A wise engine builder once told me " If you can lose 500lbs for free, why bother spending thousands of dollars on engine mods that will yield less results". That being said, it is possible to run low 1/4 mile times with a D with basic bolt on's, engine and fuel management included of course, in a 2,000-2,100 lb chassis. Its all about power to weight ratio and throttle response.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2004es2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2004es2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A wise engine builder once told me " If you can lose 500lbs for free, why bother spending thousands of dollars on engine mods that will yield less results". That being said, it is possible to run low 1/4 mile times with a D with basic bolt on's, engine and fuel management included of course, in a 2,000-2,100 lb chassis. Its all about power to weight ratio and throttle response. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's idiot ricer logic like that which is the reason people hate Honda drivers.

Bunch of people driving around in stock DX's thinking they got 10 second cars because they lost the spare tire, rear seats, carpet, and sound deadening tar to "make it better."

I already decided this with the last jackass ricer with a stock B7 that I helped because he didn't have a spare tire or jack because he took 'em out for weight reduction: The next one's gonna sit on the side of the road.

Idiots.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Well in this case i am talking about a track car, not a dd, also when i say weight i mean ac/ps and pretty much everything else that is useless in a track car. Common logic will tell you that if a car can shave off 1/5 of the weight it will be quicker but i guess logic isnt common any more. Plus when i say low numbers i mean 13-14 seconds, I'm no freakin noob here, i know it takse horse power to reach 10's and weight alone wont do it. Some people are always looking for an excuse to flame.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Bunch of people driving around in stock DX's thinking they got 10 second cars because they lost the spare tire, rear seats, carpet, and sound deadening tar to "make it better."

I already decided this with the last jackass ricer with a stock B7 that I helped because he didn't have a spare tire or jack because he took 'em out for weight reduction: The next one's gonna sit on the side of the road.

Idiots.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Me?

That's my uber stripped, 1990lb. CX hatchback with no spare tire, p/s, a/c, stereo head unit, interior plastics, etc. etc.

It also has an obnixiously loud Tanabe exhaust that makes people break their necks when the 8500rpm VTEC screams past them.

With a bone stock internals B18C5 knocking on 12's I guess I'm a ricer?

Oh yeah edit - it's a street driven car that used to be my actual daily driver years ago before I etablished a separate "DD" such as my current Civic wagon in my signature.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 9:42 PM 8/14/2008
Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 PM

I guess so. You ricer. LOL
Old 08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2004es2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I guess so. You ricer. LOL </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I like ribbing Syndacate - we go way back here.

I know where he's coming from though...
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2004es2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well in this case i am talking about a track car, not a dd, also when i say weight i mean ac/ps and pretty much everything else that is useless in a track car. Common logic will tell you that if a car can shave off 1/5 of the weight it will be quicker but i guess logic isnt common any more. Plus when i say low numbers i mean 13-14 seconds, I'm no freakin noob here, i know it takse horse power to reach 10's and weight alone wont do it. Some people are always looking for an excuse to flame. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, all I'm saying is the weight removal for "better ET"s logic goes way too far - into the ricer world. It's what gives civic owners a bad name. Idiots turning their car into what's basically a GT3 cup car, but with stock everything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Me?

That's my uber stripped, 1990lb. CX hatchback with no spare tire, p/s, a/c, stereo head unit, interior plastics, etc. etc.

It also has an obnixiously loud Tanabe exhaust that makes people break their necks when the 8500rpm VTEC screams past them.

With a bone stock internals B18C5 knocking on 12's I guess I'm a ricer?

Oh yeah edit - it's a street driven car that used to be my actual daily driver years ago before I etablished a separate "DD" such as my current Civic wagon in my signature.

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 9:42 PM 8/14/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your car had a stock Z6 or B7, with the loud exhaust, and everything stripped out of it (including the head unit), yes. Though you have an ITR under there, so it changes things quite a bit. Though stripped cars aren't really my main target - it's more-so the people that remove sound deadening tar with with a stock D series, or remove the bumper supports for the 11 lbs or whatever that it saves you.

The best one yet is the guy that refused to keep his windshield washer reservoir in there because of the extra weight it added.

"we all know it's light plastic, when it's empty..but what about, when it's full? It's too much weight, not to mention they have those squeegy things at every gas station"
- paraphrased from some idiot newb.

People like that, should be shot.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM

Agreed. Some people go way too far when it comes to weight reduction just to save a couple ounces. Where is the OP anyway, he's M.I.A. with his proof.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Former Moderator

Well shoot me - I have no wipers, wiper motor, washer bottle, and an aluminum a/c bracket.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 200 hp single cam ALL ENGINE.......... (Syndacate)

[QUOTE=Syndacate]Well on topic for once:

On the flipside, bisimoto got his daily driven CRX (subs 'n all) with a D series motor in it to eat GSR's - he told me the exact HP he got (which I can't remember at this time). Though the HP # wasn't near 200 IIRC. You only need like 140-150 at the wheels in a CRX to take down a GSR swapped civic, which don't get me wrong, is a hell of a lot for a D series, but still daily driven.[QUOTE]

very true...

edited for clarity...

Modified by bmoua at 7:43 PM 8/14/2008
Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Idiots.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, Thank you, don't make a shell out of a perfectly good DD!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well shoot me - I have no wipers, wiper motor, washer bottle, and an aluminum a/c bracket.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but you daily drive your wagon, not your ITR.

Though yes, if it's rainy and snowy, and somebody removed all of the above for weight reduction, I would not feel bad for them, in the least, wouldn't even lend 'em my cell to call a tow-truck.

On the flipside, you can't be a complete ricer because you kept the AC bracket. A truce ricer woulda removed it completely.

Though you know what I mean and who my target is, so stop trying to twist things around. Ricers ruin things for the rest of Honda owners. They make people go "oh...I see" when you tell them you drive a civic. It doesn't matter if you're making 600whp daily after that because they just don't care anymore - they have a bad taste in their mouth from some idiot in his stock civic trying to race them while they were on their way to to do something constructive..
Old 08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2004es2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A wise engine builder once told me " If you can lose 500lbs for free, why bother spending thousands of dollars on engine mods...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you!

Have you ever raced in the 'sand dunes' et al?

Weight is everything!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: 200 hp single cam ALL ENGINE.......... (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Link me those hundreds of stupid posts and I'll gladly lock them down...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, but 'they' say...

When your only tool is a hammer - every problem looks like a nail!

To your eternal credit, Tom, you left this thread closed/then open/then closed/then open - kudos, my friend!

Bisi's day has come and gone - and so has the D-series - that's the nature of demi-gods!

Um...

No flame intended!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Bisimoto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bisimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once again, my engines are not "freaks of nature". Back in the 90s when I built these d-series parts, we barely had any parts available, but I knew that working with the head is key...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dear Bisi,

This is the way it's been ever since I can remember!

All a cylinder has to do is seal properly - and that was figured out years ago!

Racing teams switch heads 10 times a season, 'cause that's where all the innovation and competitive advantage is...

Do you really *think* you discovered something here?!?!?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's my uber stripped, 1990lb. CX hatchback with no spare tire, p/s, a/c, stereo head unit, interior plastics, etc. etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heh!

Tom gets it!!!

Ignore the above...
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dear Bisi,

This is the way it's been ever since I can remember!

All a cylinder has to do is seal properly - and that was figured out years ago!

Racing teams switch heads 10 times a season, 'cause that's where all the innovation and competitive advantage is...

Do you really *think* you discovered something here?!?!?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bisi is obviously fully capable of responding, but he's also a busy guy as well.

I don't think Bisi ever intended to imply that he "discovered" any secrets to engine building so to speak. I do think that he used some old school carb tech when everyone else was using EFI in the 90's, and his old school approach combined with his engineering degree (I think one of his school thesis/projects was fuel atomiziation in an IM?!?) got him leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else using engines with much more displacament and better cylinder head designs from the outset (B series).

I have to say that the "Bisi's day has come and gone" comment is a bit disrespectful. His time is in full swing being that he's running 9's with an ACCORD engine that was intended to be a smooth, fuel efficient sedan motivator.

Can you imagine what will happen if/when he decides to build a B series drag car? H series drag car? K series drag car?

Besides the Bisi angle I would also have to ask why the head has been simplified to simply need to "seal" - it must flow very well too. I know you know that, but your post makes it look like there's less importance of head flow. It needs to seal, but it's all about the flow y0!

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 AM
Former Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Though you know what I mean and who my target is, so stop trying to twist things around. Ricers ruin things for the rest of Honda owners. They make people go "oh...I see" when you tell them you drive a civic. It doesn't matter if you're making 600whp daily after that because they just don't care anymore - they have a bad taste in their mouth from some idiot in his stock civic trying to race them while they were on their way to to do something constructive..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand what you mean. You know I like to stir up a good debate.

I see the looks that some people give me when I pull up to a stop light in my shell on wheels EG. They probably figure I'm the same as the masses of kids who drive 90whp stripped hatches with -4 degrees of camber, 2 degrees of toe out at each corner, etc. etc. I'm sure a police officer would do a double take when he checked my license to find I'm 29, not 19 - that's if I'd ever get pulled over. I think silver is invisible.

Anyways we're spiralling off topic here, and I'm every bit as much to blame as anyone.

The OP is MIA and pretty much did exactly as I expected by never producing any evidence that he ever had any clue about building a serious N/A D series.

Thankfully some intelligent discussion came from what was doomed to be one of a million clueless kids' topics about building/doing something impossible by them.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have to say that the "Bisi's day has come and gone" comment is a bit disrespectful. His time is in full swing being that he's running 9's with an ACCORD engine that was intended to be a smooth, fuel efficient sedan motivator...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fair enough! Apologies to Bisi!

Quarter mile time aside - he has laid to rest the age-old '200HP D-series' debate, no?

It IS possible to get 200+ HP out of a N/A SOHC D16 - he did it - if you believe the dyno sheet - and it looks unmolested to me!

Kudos...
Old 08-16-2008, 08:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I do think that he used some old school carb tech when everyone else was using EFI in the 90's, and his old school approach combined with his engineering degree (I think one of his school thesis/projects was fuel atomiziation in an IM?!?) got him leaps and bounds ahead of anyone else using engines with much more displacament and better cylinder head designs from the outset (B series).

I have to say that the "Bisi's day has come and gone" comment is a bit disrespectful. His time is in full swing being that he's running 9's with an ACCORD engine that was intended to be a smooth, fuel efficient sedan motivator.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

look into what wicked did in the 90's socal scene.

the f22aX/f22bX motors arent as bad as bad as you play them to be.

its like saying honda's arent meant to be fast, they're just sub-par cheap asian car motivators.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:27 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2004es2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Agreed. Some people go way too far when it comes to weight reduction just to save a couple ounces. Where is the OP anyway, he's M.I.A. with his proof. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Every 100 pounds off your car is an extra .5 sec off your track time is what I have heard... I may be wrong, this could be on myth busters.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (philkehn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philkehn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Every 100 pounds off your car is an extra .5 sec off your track time is what I have heard... I may be wrong, this could be on myth busters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds about right!

My B16A2 HX is much quicker than a Si - almost impossible to catch me coming off a light - plus I get 40+ MPG compared to 20-something!

What's the difference between a Si and a HX with a B16A2 swap???

Think about it - that's how much extra weight a Si is lugging around compared to an HX!

Really, it's as simple as that - weight is everything...
Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds about right!

My B16A2 HX is much quicker than a Si - almost impossible to catch me coming off a light - plus I get 40+ MPG compared to 20-something!

What's the difference between a Si and a HX with a B16A2 swap???

Think about it - that's how much extra weight a Si is lugging around compared to an HX!

Really, it's as simple as that - weight is everything...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty much, with that guy saying somepeople go too far its like saying a hummer is faster than a 100 horsepower hyabusa, just becauase the hummer has like 500 something horse

Quick Reply: 200 hp single cam ALL ENGINE..........