Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2" turbo downpipe? exhuast size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" turbo downpipe? exhuast size?

Hey I have a drag T3 kit and the downpipe is 2" i.d. where it meets the cat. I am trying to plan an exhuast system but cant find a 2" to 3" conversion or cat..?

Will 2.5" exhuast work for turbo? Will is cause a lot fo backpressure?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:33 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2" turbo downpipe? exhuast size? (turbotime)

You're gonna have to start asking FI for your turbo questions. You'll get way better answers.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:34 AM

its fine for temporary
Old 04-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whatabout longterm?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

It wont hurt your setup mechanically, but it will rob you power.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would a 2" dp to 3" exhuast hurt? i mean is the 2" dp the problem or the exhuast moreso
Old 04-23-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not going to be a problem at all. If you plan to run a larger downpipe then a full 3 inch would be best. 2.5 would be just fine for your current downpipe.

In the process of doing a full 3inch from the turbo back right now.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plus it depends on your power goals. If you're running a small amound of boost and making a couple of hundred HP, then it's fine. If you're running 20 PSI on a built block making 500+ HP, then the 2" downpipe will be a restriction.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're running 20 PSI on a built block making 500+ HP, then the 2" downpipe will be a restriction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then ill have a problem

Where cna I get a 3" downpipe? do i need to get a flange welded to it on both side or can i get one with the flanges on it? I havent found any 3" civic downpipes
Old 04-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is your trim and what type of T3? Honesly 2'' pipping is small as ****. Those should only be used for T28 and small turbos that arent that big.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EVIL Hx Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It wont hurt your setup mechanically, but it will rob you power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not true, if you have alot of back pressure it will try to find a way out, ive heard of people (DSM guys mainly) that have so much back pressure build up that it blows a hole straight through the exhaust housing, so yes mechanically it could hurt you.

It all depends on the size of turbo, what power you want and such. I would never run lower then 2.5 downpipe on a turbo app.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is your trim and what type of T3? Honesly 2'' pipping is small as ****. Those should only be used for T28 and small turbos that arent that big.

Thats not true, if you have alot of back pressure it will try to find a way out, ive heard of people (DSM guys mainly) that have so much back pressure build up that it blows a hole straight through the exhaust housing, so yes mechanically it could hurt you.

It all depends on the size of turbo, what power you want and such. I would never run lower then 2.5 downpipe on a turbo app. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought he had a kit, so if the pipe came with the kit then it was probably enough for whatever turbo it came with... But you're definitely right, too much back pressure will rip the hell out of your turbo or whatever the weakest link is on the exhaust side.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here are som specs on the turbo and downpipe, im not sure the trim or anything, but isnt it T3? It has a T3 flange no?

i want to be running 20+psi- is this turbo too small for that?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:39 PM

i would say it is to small for 20+psi but i would check with edelbrock and see what they recommend and what is the limit you can run with the size of turbo you have.
good luck
Old 04-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I would never run lower then 2.5 downpipe on a turbo app. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Werd
Old 04-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Then ill have a problem

Where cna I get a 3" downpipe? do i need to get a flange welded to it on both side or can i get one with the flanges on it? I havent found any 3" civic downpipes
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe KTeller makes 3" piping. I know they make catbacks, so I am sure they make downpipes too. You can always ask, I may be mistaken. You can also go custom. I found a mandrel (so they say) bender here who would do turbo back for $150 or so (the price makes me think maybe they do crush bends). So I am going to take them my turbo and exhaust to make the flanges and then do the piping
Old 04-23-2005, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.atpturbo.com
Old 04-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well why wouldnt i be able to run 20psi? Could I just get a big exhuast housing and downpipe?
Old 04-23-2005, 07:18 PM

that turbo isnt effecient @ 20 psi. the air will be hot hot hot. its more of like a "beat alot of street cars" turbo kit.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo_b16_ex)

Yea sorry to tell you man that looks like a .43 trim if that, it wont give you good power @ 20psi. Maybe 10psi, 15 max but i doubt that. Thats a turbo that comes on stock cars and/or carb legal kits which means they dont make that much power.

If your just looking for a quick street car then thats it. But for a fast track street car it wont happen. But its easy to upgrade, sell the turbo alone and go bigger if you want more power. Its a good beginners turbo.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i want a really fast track street car, that will whip uhh.. almost anything?

So is mine a T3? So if i got a real nice on like a SC61 would that bolt to my existing flange? The sc61 can run 20 right?
Old 04-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your really looking at this the wrong way. Dont worry about how many psi you could make, you need to understand how much cfm is being pushed with that psi.

A greddy turbo (TD-05h (i think is the name) can make 15psi but then you have a T3/T04E that makes 8psi. Which would make more power? The T3/T04E because it gives off more CFM. Get it? Its alot of physic type **** to get the correct graph for your app. You need to understand turbos alot more before you start going crazy on this.

Look on the turbo itself and check for some kind of writing and it will tell you what type of turbo you have.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well lets say due to my relative turbo inexperience i want to start witht his turbo and move up to bigger/better as i get used to turbo..

I need to buy a new exhuast either way, i need to knwo what would be most cost effective in the long run, 2.5" back or 3"? I know 3" is best for big turbo and that is the end game with this....
Old 04-24-2005, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that turbo is a t3t4b looks to be of a 50 trim or so, yes it CAN make 20 pounds, but not for very long, and if youre asking these kinds of questions im sure your motor wont be able to handle 20 pounds of boost either.

a larger turbo is not the answer, a well thought out plan to a built motor is, with the proper engine management, and proper tuning.

THEN and only then would i say to go to a large frame turbo.

set a power goal for whatever HP, you want to achieve, then look for a turbo that will work in that HP, operation, and RPM range. then build the motor to work in the range you need it to.

and yes it is a t3 exhaust foot print, meaning the exhaust side is a t3, and the drag DP i s a little small
Old 04-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrbsponge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that turbo is a t3t4b looks to be of a 50 trim or so, yes it CAN make 20 pounds, but not for very long, and if youre asking these kinds of questions im sure your motor wont be able to handle 20 pounds of boost either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok well im not completely clueless, and yes my engine can take 20psi+, its is built for turbo (forged internals, lower CR, the whole shibang).

I got this turbo kit so I would have a base to work with, it is decent, has almost everything i need cept for the dp/turbo seems small from what u guys are telling me.

My target HP is 450+whp.. so it seems like this turbo wont cut it. Yet at the same time if I can put this on and learn with it on 15psi iw ould prefer that, as i have never driven with boost....

My biggest concern is: either way i will need a new exhuast, be it for this turbo or a larger sc61.. i want to buy and exhuast NOW that will work for BOTH. Becuase im not gonna drop $400 on a 2.5" back for this turbo when ima need a 3" for a larger turbo... u see? cause that would be wasting $400!

So again, should i get a 3" back for this? or will 2.5" work for this and a 3"? And if i for get a 3" back how would i hok this one to it? Custom downpipe?

Thanks again

P.S.:

ENGINE B17A1
-crowler rods
-arias pistons (8.5:1 CR)
- micropolished/balanced crank
- Ti Retainers
- PYR Aluminum Racing Head with full PnP
- Chevy Big Block Valve Springs
- Sealed and ORinged

Quick Reply: 2" turbo downpipe? exhuast size?