Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1st. and reverse at same time ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st. and reverse at same time ??

I have a 94 3dr. hatch SI w/new rebuilt stock VTEC eng. and a rebuilt s20 stock 5sp. tran. , new fly wheel, clutch/presser plate, bearings, new axles, and anything that look bad was replaced. I pulled and reinstalled, my self. I have put about 800 mi. break-in on eng. / tran. everything working smooth. It's my DD and not a hot rod. I don't speed shift or miss treat it.
Yesterday i was backing out of a parking space, i moved 5 ft. heard a clunk and came to a stop. I put tran. in what felt like neutral let the clutch out, tran. was still in gear. I pushed clutch in to try 1st. , very hard to get into 1st. same with reverse, back into neu. let clutch out , still in gear. With eng. off, tran. seems to shift easy into gears. I start eng. and try to move, it feels like it's in 1st. and reverse at the same time.
What should i start checking ?? Thanks Rod
Old 09-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 1st. and reverse at same time ??

Can you put it in gear when the engine is off? Have you tried all the other gears?
Old 09-06-2014, 11:46 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trans needs to be pulled and opened up. 1st, 2nd, and reverse gear are all actuated on the same slider or shift fork. From what you're stating it sounds like the reverse idler gear is halfway engaged causing the feeling of it being stuck in 1st/reverse simultaneously.

Note: not sure if I explained it correctly but main point is 1st and reverse are right next to each other and it's an internal mechanical failure if they're engaged at the same time.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:14 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 and R are actually on different shift forks, and R has it's own shaft. That said, though, hard to shift while running + easy to shift while off = bad pressure plate (most of the time). THAT being said, though...It's entirely possible that your shift change assembly is damaged. Did you spec and shim it properly when you reinstalled it, or did you just slap it back in? Did you replace your pressure plate with a good, new unit, or re-use your old one?
Old 09-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
1 and R are actually on different shift forks, and R has it's own shaft. That said, though, hard to shift while running + easy to shift while off = bad pressure plate (most of the time). THAT being said, though...It's entirely possible that your shift change assembly is damaged. Did you spec and shim it properly when you reinstalled it, or did you just slap it back in? Did you replace your pressure plate with a good, new unit, or re-use your old one?
This makes sense. It is possible for a transmission to remain engaged in a gear even though the selector is in neutral.

The result if this happens is when the lever is in neutral and you let the clutch out the car will start moving in whatever gear it's "stuck" in.

The only resolution is to remove the shift change assembly and hope you can get things lined back up otherwise transmission dismantling is required.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your help. I assume the shift change assembly is inside the tran. meaning I would have to pull the tran. , split the cases, to check and reset it ?? Or can i remove the the shift linkage and try to reset the shift shaft ?? All the clutch kit is new, fly wheel, pressure plate everything new. Again thanks Rod
Old 09-07-2014, 03:49 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Reverse is separate from the 1st/2nd fork, however reverse does use the 1st/2nd sleeve as part of the reverse gear. It's possible you broke the aluminum 1st/2nd fork and it's now stuck in gear.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by RDsotsub
Thanks for your help. I assume the shift change assembly is inside the tran. meaning I would have to pull the tran. , split the cases, to check and reset it ?? Or can i remove the the shift linkage and try to reset the shift shaft ?? All the clutch kit is new, fly wheel, pressure plate everything new. Again thanks Rod
It's not a question of "resetting" it. You need to crack the case, and figure out what broke. You will be replacing something.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what you are describing sounds like something with the clutch and not the tranny. (moving into and out of gear easily with engine off.) when you try to shift with the engine running to get it into what seems like first does it grind alot? did you torque and use lock-tite on the flywheel when you replaced it? Have you checked the axles and made sure they didnt pop out? did you torque down the pressure plate to proper specs? also when you bled the clutch did you get all the air bubbles out? check the actuator rod in the slave cylinder make sure that it didn't pop out.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, new Exede clutch/flywheel kit was installed using ARP bolt kits for flywheel, & clutch, torque to specs w/lock tite. Axles are in, have not pop out. This morning i tried putting in gear with eng. off, not trying to force anything into all 5 gears, can slowly work into each gear. It went into and out of rev. pretty easy. I started eng. with shifter in what felt like neutral, let the clutch out easy, still in gear.
Any idea on how to get it in neutral so i can push it in my garage, i have go jacks, but will have to get get over angle type curb before i can them ?? Thanks Rod
Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to push the clutch in and have someone push the car.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:03 AM

If your shift change selector is fucked, no, there isn't. Get a couple wheel casters and put the front of them, or pop the axles out.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:14 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

If its in gear but your shifter is in the neutral position than it looks like you could have an issue with the shift forks. The last thing I would check would be the shift linkage itself. Are you using a bitch pin or a nut/bolt combo to hold the linkage into the the tranny?
Old 09-07-2014, 07:51 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you "94EG8" that's what I was getting at.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi, used a new bitch pin. I was afraid it's the shift forks, didn't want to have to pull the tran. again. But no other way, the tran. has a yr. warranty. It's a synchrotech rebuilt tran. I will call them today. Thanks everybody for your help. Rod
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry it took so long to update. I pulled the tran., synchrotech sent me a new rebuilt and i sent back this tran. One of their tech's called me, and said he found nothing wrong inside NO bent or broken shift forks, and was getting ready to install it in a car.
The only anomaly i had when pulling the tran. was the clutch fork, I went to remove it and it fell off in my hand. i didn't have to spread the spring clip to get it off. could that have been my problem ?? The clutch fork being cocked a little, and maybe not actuating the pressure plate fully ?? thanks Rod